Sources told the Times that the
Copa Centenario, slated to involve 10 South American teams and six Concacaf teams, might be moved to Mexico or scaled back and held in South America.
Conmebol released a statement last week that Paraguayan Juan Angel Napout, the Conmebol president, and Honduran Alfredo Hawit, the interim president of Concacaf, will meet Thursday in Mexico City to review how the tournament will be organized, emphasizing that both confederations remained firm in the belief that the 100th anniversary of the tournament should be commemorated in 2016.
The next day he told a Paraguayan radio station the plan remained the same -- to hold the tournament in the United States.
U.S. host cities for the event were supposed to be announced in late May, but the tournament's fate has been in limbo ever since Federal indictments were handed out against 14 soccer officials and sports marketing executives in a massive bribery scheme that set aside $20 million in bribes alone for the Copa Centenario.
Plans for the tournament were announced in 2014 with three marketing agencies holding commercial rights to the tournament. Executives from all three agencies have either pleaded guilty or been indicted.
Fourteen of the 16 teams have been settled. The other two places will go to winners of Trinidad & Tobago-Haiti and Panama-Cuba playoffs to be played in October. All 10 South American teams are supposed to take part in the tournament, as well as the USA and Mexico, winners of the 2013 and 2015 Gold Cups, Costa Rica, winner of the 2014 Copa Centroamericana, and Jamaica, winner of the 2014 Caribbean Cup.