Wambach: 'I would definitely fire Jurgen'

Speaking on a Bill Simmons podcast that was published on Wednesday, retiring U.S. national team star Abby Wambach said men's national team Jurgen Klinsmann should be fired. She also said she wasn't into "this experiment that U.S. Soccer has given Jurgen," bringing "in a bunch of these foreign guys" and criticized gender pay gap differences.

"I would definitely fire Jurgen, sorry [U.S. Soccer president] Sunil [Gulati], sorry U.S. Soccer," Wambach said, "but I don't think Jurgen and this litmus test on him has worked. He hasn't really focused I feel enough attention on the youth programs. Although he says he has I don't think that he has. The way that he has brought in a bunch of these foreign guys is not something I believe in wholeheartedly. I don't believe in it I don't believe in it in my heart.

"And I love Jermaine Jones. I love watching him play. And I love Fabian Johnson, and he plays in Germany and is actually killing it right now after being sent home for 'faking an injury.' But I just think that this experiment that U.S. Soccer has given Jurgen isn't one that personally I'm into. It's gotta be interesting for those guys to see their coach take off in a helicopter and fly home to his home and then back to training. It seems to me there are too many egos in our men's program right now and the bigger ego of all of them is the one who is leading the charge."

She also talked about inequalities in sports.

"Ever since I announced my retirement," Wambach said, "I have been able to have cool conversations and pick people's brains to figure out why there is such a disparity not just in my sport but in other sports and other industries. There is there innate thing that women are less than that women don't deserve to be treated fairly.

"I think that our society is pushing toward a place where we really start to look to each other as people and not put each other in these boxes. This equality thing is in all. I feel the men get paid way more than the women in soccer, yeah, I understand logically the argument about the ratings and that is more global. But that doesn't mean that it makes it right. Equality isn't something that actually costs anything. I know we are talking about gender pay gap differences. But to treat someone fairly doesn't cost a single cent. It wouldn't cost anything it would be just a decision. When you are in it you don't want to fight too much against it because you want to be thankful for what you are getting."
22 comments about "Wambach: 'I would definitely fire Jurgen'".
  1. R2 Dad, December 16, 2015 at 11 p.m.

"Klinsmann, in a stroke of evil genius straight out of Sun Tzu, offered Wambach a position on his staff. His appointment accomplishes several important goals:
    1) Co-opted a loud dissenting voice
    2) Addressed the US Soccer goal of improving/blowing up the current dysfunctional youth soccer system in the US
    3) Diversified his staff
    4) Raised the profile of youth soccer development in the US
    5) Spread the responsibility (and future liability) for the Technical Director position, in which Klinsmann has invested little.
    Jose Mourinho has reportedly telephoned, looking for tips on how to resolve his own intractable situation at Chelsea."

2. j bapper, December 17, 2015 at 8:56 a.m.

It's so refreshing hearing a high profile voice like Abby saying what everyone else thinks about Klinsmann and what a poor job he's done. Maybe this will put more pressure on Gulati to address all the shortcomings.

3. A. Torres, December 17, 2015 at 11:06 a.m.

I agree 100% percent with what Abby said about JK bringing all this Foreign dual citizenship players. I have not seen one of them add anything to the US team that American born and raised players have not done. In a way is disrespectful to our soccer programs and academies and I feel it sets a bad precedent for the future of US soccer. At the least it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

4. Golden Toe, December 17, 2015 at 12:09 p.m.

I am no soccer genius having only played 4 years in HS under 4 different coaches and we totally stunk, but why is this just JK's problem? He's been here what 3 or so years? Soccer has been in America over 100 years. What have all the other USMNT coach's done over the years to improve our youth that it's all Klinnsman's fault? Why has it taken the MLS until the last couple of years to instill youth academies, schools and their own USL specific teams? Where was the youth system the NASL should have developed and used? In my opinion (which really doesn't mean squat) we nail JK for pretty much cherry picking "foreign born players" but then basically are cherry picking our youth from those who can afford $300 uniforms and thousands of dollars for camps and traveling teams, colleges, etc., when probably most of our future lies in those kids playing on the streets (think basketball). Maybe Abby is the answer, fire JK, hire Abby.

5. Ric Fonseca replied, December 17, 2015 at 5:17 p.m.

>Golden Toe: Sorry but just 'cause our sport has been "...in America [you mean the United States, right?] over 100 years....(sic)" it does not mean we should be a dominating soccer power. Please bear in mind that the current developmental stages of our sport has only been around at least since the late '60s and early '70s. Our dismal soccer history of player development is a sad one, and there have been hundreds of individuals that've used the "developmental system" whether it be youth, recreational, independent and affiliated leagues to line their own pockets. As for getting "...those kids playing int he street (think basketball) ...(sic)", please take note that there are many of u\"us" guys who've been saying this very thing now for decades, yes even going back to the '70's. Abby is and will continue to be an excellent spokesperson for our sport, but she doesn't need to apologize to anyone for speaking her mind, especially when it comes to our jogo bonito. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

6. Golden Toe replied, December 18, 2015 at 12:18 p.m.

>Hey Ric, appreciate you going kindly on me with your reply. Can’t say I did so well in school in English composition and I don’t usually comment on these sites because most of the time my voice inflections, tone, body language, and just general thoughts don’t always seem to come thru my fingertips. So I guess I could clarify a few things where I was going with some of my thoughts but I will leave it at I hope you also have a Merry Christmas and a Blessed 2016. Ad finem fidelis

7. Bob Ashpole replied, December 19, 2015 at 7:24 p.m.

Golden Toe, here is the short answer. JK didn't cause the problem, but as the national coach it is his responsibility to make our youth development opportunities among the best in the world. That is what he should be doing instead of telling US players to go to Europe to develop. The problem is simply a management failure at the state and national level. They choose to create super leagues and tournament instead of quality training opportunities to develop players instead of teams. Does anyone think a AAA league baseball manager's job is to win his league instead of to send players to the majors?

8. BJ Genovese, December 17, 2015 at 7:20 p.m.

Your absolutley correct. I contacted Rick Ramos about having my son back to TC sessions after he was asked to a few when he was twelve and very little. In his response to me he mentioned that he had followed me on social media and my views of youth development within US soccer are known. Needless to say my ID2, PDP, ODP Son has never been called back to a TC session. Hes almost 17 now so it really is too late for him. But US soccer really does need to look at who they hire and what there motivations is for the mission statement that really does not exist at the moment.

9. Andrew Kear, December 17, 2015 at 8:06 p.m.

Abby we already know Klinsmann sucks!

10. Footballer Forever replied, December 18, 2015 at 8:16 a.m.

Abby, we already know besides wanting to fire JK, you wished you had a man's genitalia too; Hence, you are speaking in utter lesbian frustration.

Good riddance, frustrated lesbian drama queen.

11. Footballer Forever replied, December 18, 2015 at 10:17 a.m.

@All American. Ignorant is as ignorant feels.

12. Wooden Ships, December 18, 2015 at 9:58 a.m.

Had to wait awhile to digest Abby's exit comments. Mixed emotions as I have been and will continue to appreciate her contribution to the US women's team. Unparalleled in many ways. However, I wished she hadn't used this time to chime in on JK or foreign born players. Is she entitled to, sure, I guess, as is everyone. But, I don't believe the first great women's team in this country would have. Mia, Michelle, Joy, Carla, et al, wouldn't, I think, have talked about the men's team. It's a take away for me. The two teams are circumstantially different. And, as for the comment of excluding foreign born players (most are sons of American servicemen) that smacks of intolarence. I'm retired army and have played overseas. Where does Abby want to draw the line as to eligibility to represent ones country? Even with some disagreements I've had with JK, one thing that was long overdo was expanding the player pool and he's been doing that.

13. Footballer Forever replied, December 18, 2015 at 3:57 p.m.

Do you recall eggballer John Elway tweeting USWNT with congratulation message, yet taking a subtle an hidden jab towards USMNT?

That just lets you know the hidden agenda of those who feel they are more "Americqns" than others.

14. Bobby Bluntz, December 18, 2015 at 2:28 p.m.

While I don't like JK, the bit about the foreign players sounds like Donald Trump speaking. Abby, we don't have a head start in this thing like the women do. You think that if the women were playing a higher level of football in Germany that we wouldn't see the same thing in the women's game? We need the best players available and like it or not, Jermaine Jones was playing at F'ing shalke when he came to the US team. Of course he's going to be selected to play every game. The part about egos is a bit ironic as well considering your team just refused to play a game because the pitch wasn't up to your standards. How egotistical is that? You're too important to play on a loose field, but our daughters and sons beg to play and train on far worse every day. The kids in my neighborhood play on half gravel, half patching grass after school.

15. Footballer Forever replied, December 18, 2015 at 4:37 p.m.

@ complexed "All American" -

What she said and what you interpreted she "attempted" to say are two different things. Stop with your BS "whiteknight/dyke" excuses.

16. Footballer Forever, December 18, 2015 at 10:33 p.m.

Foosball? rotflol. Does it hurt to even say football because it's not intended to egg-tackleball or are you just acting German ala Jurgen Klinsmann?

17. Bob Ashpole replied, December 19, 2015 at 7:34 p.m.

I find your comments offensive. I am as typically American as apple pie, but that also means my ancestors were immigrants including my maternal grandfather's family who immigrated from Germany. Please troll somewhere else.

18. Ric Fonseca, December 21, 2015 at 7:17 p.m.

to Bob Ashpole: I agree with you and also find Football Forever's comments offensive. As a recently retired college prof, with an extensive cv in our jogo bonito, and BTW, I am a Mexican immigrant - brought here when I was 9 - a military veteran first (Navy-Army), then a naturalized citizen (I served my/this country before I was even a bona-fide US citizen) college graduate, I am hoping I see the day when people do not have to scrape the bottom of the barrel as has been done above with those offensive remarks.

19. Footballer Forever, December 22, 2015 at 12:03 p.m.

@Bob Ashpole/Ric Fonseca- What are you taking offense to? is it that part of "Are you just acting German ala Jurgen Klinsmann? That my friend was a sarcastic comment considering "All American" seems to take offense @ JK hiring of German American football players.

I do agree JK seems to be falling short of his youth development outlook, but i find it outrageous the Trump-like outlook from Abby Wambach or any other ones out there alike. Please troll away with your sensitive feelings if the truth hurts.

20. Ric Fonseca replied, December 22, 2015 at 2:33 p.m.

All american said it succinctly. Many have forgotten that when JK started out he brought in his former assistant coach Martin Vazquez and Carlos Juarez his "emphasis" seemed to be to - so we thought - locate, identify, and bring in players of dual nationality, i.e. of Mexican/Latino heritage, and he did, all be it for a short spell. Then he "fired" Martin and brought in his compatriot (who coached with him for the German NT)And is when the large influx of American-German players began to "surface" over there and here, with "some success." However, All American hit the nail on the head when said "We all thought Klins's main reason .... was to completely revolutionize/overhaul the youth system...(sic)" but we know it ain't happening - just take a good look at our younger age NT results and the coaches running them. Lastly Abby HAS the right to speak her mind, just as does Footballer: I/we may not agree with their opinions, yet I will defend their right to speak out, it is, after all, their inalienable right, even though their invective it may be offensive and ugly. FELIZ NAVIDAD Y PROSPERO ANO NUEVO, AMIGOS!!!

21. Footballer Forever, December 22, 2015 at 4:44 p.m.

@ All American- " I dont agree with the way Abby stated that point" I agree on that point.

I do understand JK is taking the easy or comfortable road to get USMNT results and hiring German-Americans; However, Abby Wambach should know better she's in no position to talk about the state of the Men's National Football team or if she's going to do so not to be a fool about it to answer any question to something it does not pertain/affect to women's "soccer". Again, it must be that being "World Cup Champions" has gotten to their head and given them the right to criticize a football genre different that theirs. Either way, Happy Holidays! Happy Football ! Happy Futbol! Happy Futebol, Happy Fussball.

22. Kevin Johnson, January 5, 2016 at 5:08 p.m.

Abby has a right, and credibility, to comment on the USMNT - football management-wise JK has attempted to kick-start the men's national team with foreign born U.S players, but he has not managed the other parts of his job, which many would say (including me) are more important than throwing together a motley bunch of senior players to win now, which hasn't happened anyway. Those other parts of his job include the development of a boy's/men's youth system that is inclusive and regionally comprehensive. The girl's/women's side of the system seems to work much better for some reason, so why doesn't the men's? Addressing these differences in an analytical way is a big job that requires a mind that is capable and focused on this problem, not just grabbing senior players to make a senior team. Another part of Abby's interview remarks saying pay for women should be equal to men is hard to argue with on any level in my opinion. However, her comment that "Equality isn't something that actually costs anything.", while true morally and philosophically, is not the same as saying equal pay isn't something that actually costs anything - equal pay requires both a decision by the federation and a rebalancing of the revenues that pay the salaries. Personally I would pay more to see the women play than the men, but apparently not every paying customer or sponsor feels this way.