January camp: Nguyen impresses Klinsmann

There is one week left in the first national team camp of the year, but one of the winners of the 2016 January camp has been Lee Nguyen.

Recalled to the U.S. national team after a breakout 2014 season with the New England Revolution, Nguyen played 73 minutes in three appearances in 2015 after an unimpressive January camp.

But Jurgen Klinsmann says this January has been different, and Nguyen was rewarded with his first start ever for the national team in the 3-2 win over Iceland.

Nguyen didn't score, but he played well enough, linking up in the U.S. attack, that Klinsmann left him in the game for the entire 90 minutes.

"Lee came in a little bit different than last year," Klinsmann said. "He was really prepared for this camp. From Day 1 on, he set the tone. He says, 'OK, I was here last year and I didn't make the impression I wanted to make, so I better it right now. He was unquestionable in the starting lineup after a week already for us. Look at Lee. After three weeks of training and hard work, definitely one of the winners of this period."

7 comments about "January camp: Nguyen impresses Klinsmann".
  1. don Lamb, February 2, 2016 at 8:22 a.m.

Hallelujah! Some great signs coming from this camp.

2. Wooden Ships replied, February 2, 2016 at 9:21 a.m.

Agree with your chorus Don. Again it was a partial Iceland team but saw some good stuff. Hopefully, Jurgen won't go to his default thoughts. We have more skilled players than what he's believed in. 2016 is, to me, his litmus year. Up untill now his selections hasn't displayed confidence in our ability to possess and dictate. Besides working out defensive selections, the big thing for me will be when Altidore is no longer the starter or lone forward. LN and there are others have demonstrated that we don't have to rely upon balls over the top or set pieces. The other JK has got to sway the first JK to move in that direction. Tabs a great guy and was a great player for us, but up against Jurgen he's milk toast. Trust the youth.

3. Thomas Sullivan, February 2, 2016 at 9:54 a.m.

How absurd to view a victory by 3-2 in last moments as any kind of positive. iceland has a population of 300,000 people. Klinsmann has to go. He has consistently made bad personnel decisions and forcing LN to meet JK's internal model of commitment is another example of how off he is.

4. Woody Woodpecker, February 2, 2016 at 10:26 a.m.

Thomas, are you aware that Iceland qualified for the European UEFA 2016 tournament, beating out the Dutch. I think, not sure they won the group ahead of Czech. Republic and Turkey? They're no mugs. Why does Klinesman have to go? If you look at the pool of players who are now playing in Europe-central America the number exceeds 50 players and growing exponentially every year....I'm saying he's responsible for that, but with his connections world wide, I 'm certain he has the ability to pick the phone up and help the process...

5. Stuart d. Warner, February 2, 2016 at 10:35 a.m.

Don, WS, Thomas--agree with you all. But I would add the name of Jermaine Jones. How are we playing a 34 year old out of contract #6?

6. Wooden Ships replied, February 2, 2016 at 1:15 p.m.

Stuart, I scratch my head on JJ too. Also, Altidore. While I thought Lee Nguen did well, not sure he's international. JK has undoubtly expanded the pool and assisted in international signings. Both commendable, but this has to be the year where he demonstrates that he too has expanded HS thinking on roster selection. I hope he does, but he has been reluctant to evolve with his own pool.

7. trebor gt, February 2, 2016 at 5:07 p.m.

For the US the match was about the last 7 minutes. The old guard played ok but my gut is that their liable to fall into the same lapses they did last year (JA & JJ). The young players presented some hope for the future to be sure. I expected more from Finlay, this was kind of a mess for him IMO.