Abby Wambach: 'This is all on me'

Retired women's superstar Abby Wambach quickly apologized after she was arrested early Sunday on a DUI charge in her hometown of Portland, Oregon. She failed a a field sobriety test and later a breath test at Portland's Central Precinct after being pulled over for failing to stop for a red light. She said she was leaving a dinner at a friend's house when she was stopped.

Wambach was booked early Sunday morning and released on her own recognizance after she was charged with the misdemeanor of DUII (driving under the influence of intoxicants).

The Portland Police Bureau told AP Wambach was "polite and cooperative throughout the investigation."

In her Facebook post, Wambach wrote, "Those that know me, know that I have always demanded excellence from myself. I have let myself and others down. I take full responsibility for my actions. This is all on me. I promise that I will do whatever it takes to ensure that my horrible mistake is never repeated. I am so sorry to my family, friends, fans and those that look to follow a better example."

The all-time leading international scorer retired in December after a 15-year career during which she won one world championship (2015) and two Olympic gold medals (2004 and 2012).

REACTION. MINI USA said Sunday night that it was withdrawing ads in which Wambach appeared. "This behavior is against the values we promote as an organization, and the safety of everyone on the road is a priority here at MINI," the company said in a statement. "Because of this, we are re-evaluating her association with the brand and are pulling content that individually features Abby from our marketing. We will continue to assess the situation and weigh our options."

Last night I was arrested for DUII in Portland after dinner at a friend's house. Those that know me, know that I have...

Posted by Abby Wambach on Sunday, April 3, 2016

In Portland, Wambach's arrest was a major story as it followed an increase in traffic enforcement following a string of fatal car crashes. In nearby Gresham, a 10-year-old boy was killed on Tuesday, and two days later an off-duty firefighter died in separate pedestrian accidents.

8 comments about "Abby Wambach: 'This is all on me'".
  1. Kevin Sims, April 4, 2016 at 9:17 a.m.

Character weakness that she made this error ... Character strength that she is owning up to her choice, taking responsibility & holding herself accountable ... As I teach & coach today, kids will hear both assessments of her character ... Glad nobody was harmed

2. David V, April 4, 2016 at 12:02 p.m.

I hope they don't go easier than on anyone else. Could have had a car coming the other way (legal thru their green) and got T-boned in the intersection. People die from this character weakness. And take it a step further, underscore that no matter who it is, it is not excusable, and someone could have been maimed for life or killed.

3. Karen Lehman replied, April 5, 2016 at 9:15 p.m.

i love the santimonious tones that come out from the judge and jury at times like these. So nice to see how many perfect citizens and souls there are who have never made a mistake in their lives. Get off your moral high ground. Abby made a mistake, she owned it and by doing so set exactly the example any parent could ask should they find their child in the same boat. Instead of judging her actions why don't you scrutinize every single thing you've ever done and whether or not something was illegal even if you didn't get caught - it's a full time job to monitor yourself.

4. Kevin Sims, April 4, 2016 at 1:28 p.m.

Indeed, inexcusable for anybody at any time. Serious offense against society's social contract.

5. Goal Goal, April 4, 2016 at 9:19 p.m.

She had to own up to it. She is high profile and easily recognized. No excuse for it. She ran a red light and could have killed someone. Just two years ago we lost a young female member of our family who was killed by a drunk driver while she was driving home from school for Christmas .

I have empathy for her in the position she has put herself in but no sympathy period.

6. Ginger Peeler, April 5, 2016 at 12:45 p.m.

I applaud her for immediately, without hesitation, taking full responsibility. I'm so tired of our male pro athletes coming up with excuses and trying to deny their involvement. How hard is it to do the right thing? Very hard for them, easy for her.

7. Goal Goal replied, April 5, 2016 at 10:13 p.m.

Yep, she took full responsibility and pled not guilty. What in the world does male athlete have to do with this. Male or female it is wrong. Period.

8. David V replied, September 14, 2016 at 12:03 a.m.

Karen... you said "... So nice to see how many perfect citizens and souls there are who have never made a mistake in their lives. Get off your moral high ground. .... Instead of judging her actions why don't you scrutinize every single thing you've ever done and whether or not something was illegal even if you didn't get caught - it's a full time job to monitor yourself." What moral high ground are you coming from, assuming I don't scrutinize myself? How do you know I don't? You are judging me, but, even though you claim I'm judging her (which I'm not), you find it OK for you to judge me... terribly inconsistent on your part... you want me to not be able to do what you are doing... is that hypocritical of you? By the way, she judged her own action... re-read her comments, even if she doesn't call it wrong, she does call it a "mistake"