Carli Lloyd injury update: sprained MCL, out 3-6 weeks

U.S. women's national team co-captain Carli Lloydwill be sidelined with a Grade 1 MCL sprain suffered in the Houston Dash's NWSL match at the Orlando Pride on Saturday. The expected time frame for a player to recover from such an injury is 3-6 weeks. An MRI scan conducted Monday morning confirmed the injury.

The injury came in the fifth minute of the game, and Lloyd was not so seriously injured that she had to leave the game immediately. She ran up to block Orlando defender Laura Alleway's clearance but landed awkwardly on her left foot as she blocked the ball with her right foot and immediately fell to the turf in pain.

“I would like to thank everyone for their well wishes," said Lloyd. "Obviously, I’m very disappointed with the injury. I was feeling great and starting to get comfortable with my Dash teammates. The timing is not great but I’m confident that I will come back in peak condition. Rehab starts tomorrow and you’ll see me on the field soon.”

Rio Olympics: Women's Soccer Schedule

Fellow national team midfielder Morgan Brian, who had been sidelined due to a hamstring injury, played her first game of the NWSL season for the Dash, starting in the 3-1 loss at Orlando.

The only other national team players out of action with injuries are the Western New York Flash's Jaelene Hinkle, who is out with a fractured toe after playing every minute of every game in 2015, her rookie season, and Megan Rapinoe, who continues to rehab following a knee injury suffered in December.

The USA has two games scheduled against Japan in June and will play two more friendlies in July before heading to the Rio Olympics, which begin Aug. 3 against New Zealand in Belo Horizonte.

7 comments about "Carli Lloyd injury update: sprained MCL, out 3-6 weeks".
  1. Ed Shaw, April 26, 2016 at 8:35 a.m.

Another artificial field casualty! She's a warrior and it's better to have happened now than in June or July.

2. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, April 26, 2016 at 11:17 a.m.

Her foot wasn't even planted on the ground when it happened! Can't blame turf for this one.

3. Wooden Ships replied, April 26, 2016 at 5:12 p.m.

Sprained, left or right knee? We are being so duped with turf. Pseudo soccer people. This injury can be cumulative.

4. Michael Armbruster, April 26, 2016 at 9:56 a.m.

A warrior - and a great team leader and role model! and...only three-four weeks...Looking forward for their appearance in Denver in June!

5. Ric Fonseca, April 27, 2016 at 3:53 p.m.

Hey WS, knee injuries among women such as the one suffered by Ms. Lloyd have been very common place, so much that many orthopedic sports physicians and knee specialists have written countless articles about it. However, to fully place fault on artificial turf, is disingenuous and lame. And BTW, how many knee injuries were reported at the artificial turf fields in Canada's hosted Women's WC last year???

6. Wooden Ships replied, April 27, 2016 at 8:48 p.m.

I hear ya Ric, I don't like our acceptance of turf, period. I know all about women's knee injuries, having coached them at the university level for years. And yes, there is exhaustive research as to why women suffer more than men in the ACL-MCL context. It's mostly anatomical. I played and coached on all the synthetic surfaces. It's not grass over dirt, again, period. I didn't place blame fully on turf, so it wasn't lame. To use Canada as an example to counter my opinion, that is a really small sample size. My objection is to the fad of turf in this country. The machine/consumerism that is soccer in this country now will certainly allow any credible anacdotal or empirical evidence to the contrary to emerge. Virtually any footballer around the world would prefer to play on grass. The ladies, of which FIFA has had no respect for, was given no option. Turf is harder on the body and it confuses the brain-body relationship, especially going from one to the other. FIFA doesn't embrace it and the countries that make up FIFA. This is my futile attempt to sway the US soccer crowd to rethink its use wherever and whenever possible. In my thinking what's lame is not having grass fields not properly graded, irrigated and managed appropriately. Instead we spend more money on the bill of goods called turf.

7. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, April 28, 2016 at 2:33 p.m.

I agree in general but this one has nothing to do with turf. Her leg was up in the air when it happened. And players still suffer knee injuries on grass. That said, the more we can phase out turf the better.