What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann

“Our big dream is to get into a final four of a World Cup, rather sooner than later. And these are the moments where you kind of tell your players, ‘Don’t be nervous about it. There’s no reason to be nervous. But understand that moment. So let’s go out there and just give everything you have.’"

-- U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann, saying Saturday's USA-Paraguay game is a "knockout game" and the team's goal at the Copa Centenario is to learn how to win "one-off games" like it wants to win at the World Cup. (SI.com)
6 comments about "What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann".
  1. David V, June 10, 2016 at 9:19 a.m.

who else is irritated by JK's CIRCUMLOCUTION? Every time he opens his mouth we get bombarded with CIRCUMLOCUTION! BTW, I thought we were all going to agree to ignore him in the hopes he'll get fired soon.

2. Bob Ashpole replied, June 10, 2016 at 12:19 p.m.

In fairness to you I read the SI article to see the question put to JK, but it doesn't indicate what the reporter's question was. I consider JK's statements reasonable and encouraging--not irritating. I hope for success for both the US players and coach. Answer me this. Why are you commenting here about the interview if you are ignoring him?

3. Ginger Peeler replied, June 10, 2016 at 1:26 p.m.

While JK is fluent in the English language, you can tell that it is not his primary language. His sentence construction, when, where and how he uses adverbs, adjectives, etc, are...different. Perhaps, David, you're too young to remember, but buying something requiring assembly that was manufactured in Japan in the 60s was an adventure! The assembly instructions often read as if someone had used a Japanese/English dictionary and translated verbatim. You could certainly get it figured out, but it took a bit to do it. I loved the challenge. I also respected the efforts. I took a Danish language class many years ago; my attempts to write something in Danish, translating from my English was often met with laughter and merriment. I wasn't being laughed at...we were all laughing over things I inadvertently said when trying to do a direct translation. I'm with Bob; I hope for the success of our team which includes the players AND the coach.

4. cisco martinez, June 11, 2016 at 1:35 p.m.

I consider myself a klinsmann critic, however there is nothing wrong with setting high goals, my question is, is klinsmann picking the right players for the team? Klinsmann has lacked tactics, results, and personnel to make USA a powerhouse in the world of soccer. If Klinsmann can get USA to the semis of the Copa America that would be a success, quarterfinals is not enough if we want to play at the highest level.

5. Bob Ashpole, June 11, 2016 at 3:04 p.m.

USSF

6. Bob Ashpole, June 11, 2016 at 3:07 p.m.

(Sorry Windows 10 struck again) USSF set the high goal in 1998 with Project 2010.