USA-Colombia Copa Centenario Player Ratings

USA-COLOMBIA EXPRESS:
June 25 in Glendale, Arizona
USA 0, Colombia 1. Goal: Bacca 31.
Red Cards: USA – Orozco 90; Colombia – Arias 90.
Att.: 29,041.

The USA finished the Copa America Centenario the same way it had started the tournament: shut out and beaten by Colombia.

A better effort notwithstanding, the Americans lost the third-place match, 1-0, while again falling prey to superior guile and talent.

James Rodriguez was again the best player on the field and helped set up the only goal by Carlos Bacca. The USA finishes the tournament with a 3-3 record, seven goals scored, and eight conceded.

U.S. Player Ratings:
Starters
RATING PLAYER (CLUB), GP/G
6 Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), 109/0.
Dove left to deny Edwin Cardona with a spectacular save, denied a low drive by James, and plunged into the feet of attackers several times. Commanded the box well.

5 DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland/ENG), 39/0.
At times very threatening offensively, at other times very suspect defensively. Drilled a cutback that was too hot for Wood to handle. Danced through a challenge to win a corner.

6 Geoff Cameron (Stoke City/ENG), 46/4.
Overpowered Juan Cuadrado with a shoulder charge that typified his fight and spirit. Delivered several good balls out of the back and stepped into tackles confidently.

4 Matt Besler (Sporting KC), 35/0.
Secure most of the time and won his share of battles but also passed up possible opportunities to stretch the opposition by switching play. Occasionally caught when Colombia got past Orozco.

3 Michael Orozco (Tijuana/MEX), 28/4.
Left oceans of space that were exploited by Santiago Arias, Cardona and Cuadrado. Negated his few good plays by slapping Arias in the face and being sent off. He had been hacked by Cuadrado about 20 minutes earlier.

6 Jermaine Jones (Colorado Rapids), 65/4.
Brought his usual ferocity to midfield. Pushed the ball upfield through pressure several times, hit a cross that nearly produced an own goal. Played a great ball to Bedoya, who nearly set up Dempsey. Led with his elbow in an aerial challenge that earned him a caution.

4 Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), 121/15.
Hit a couple of good set plays -- he drove a corner kick right to the head of Dempsey, who shot wide -- but he was often a step slow or out of position during the run of play. Appeared in the last two games to be carrying an undisclosed injury.

4 Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), 31/6.
Worked hard on both ends, won a few balls in the defensive third, but faltered at the critical moments offensively. Froze when presented a great opportunity to shoot or pass. Fired a left-footed shot well wide. This cannot continue.

4 Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes/FRA), 53/2.
Set up a good chance for Dempsey, contributed on a few attacking sequences with intelligent touches. Only rarely gave defensive help to Orozco and Colombia took advantage.

5 Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders), 131/52.
Robbed by keeper David Ospina -- again -- on an excellent free kick, he then headed the ensuing corner kick over the crossbar. Couldn’t get a clean hit on a ball Wood dribbled into his feet. Drew a lot of attention from the Colombian attackers but like many teammates just couldn’t get a clean touch at the decisive moment.

6 Bobby Wood (Union Berlin/GER), 24/6.
Rattled a shot off the post, battled relentlessly, unhinged the Colombian back line. Whiffed on a hard-hit serve from Yedlin.

Substitutes
RATING PLAYER (CLUB), GP/G
6 Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund/GER), 6/0.

Won the ball with a slide tackle that prompted a good chance, got involved in a couple of other plays that set off alarms in the Colombian penalty area.

5 Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), 10/1.
Misfired on a couple of passes, but connected on other occasions and hit a free kick on frame to end the match.

TRIVIA. By losing the third-place game, the USA equaled its fourth-place finish at the 1995 Copa America, in which it lost at the same stage to Colombia, 4-1.

June 25 in Glendale, Arizona
USA 0, Colombia 1. Goal: Bacca 31.
USA -- Howard; Yedlin, Cameron, Besler, Orozco, Jones, Bradley (Nagbe, 79), Zardes, Bedoya (Pulisic, 74), Dempsey, Wood.
Colombia -- Ospina, Arias, C.Zapata, Murillo, Fabra, Celis (Medina, 87), Torres, Cuadrado (M.Moreno, 74), Rodriguez, Cardona, Bacca (Martinez, 79).
Red cards: USA -- Orozco 90; Colombia -- Arias 90.
Referee: Daniel Fedorczuk (Uruguay).
Att.: 29,041.

(Ratings: 1=low; 5=average; 10=high.)

63 comments about "USA-Colombia Copa Centenario Player Ratings".
  1. cisco martinez, June 26, 2016 at 1:09 a.m.

A meaningless game where again Klinsmann failed to start Pulisic. Klinsmann FYI he plays for Borussia Dortmund and you think Zardes or Zusi is at that level?

2. Nick Prodanovich, June 26, 2016 at 1:11 a.m.

Fire klinsmann.

I don't see progress with this team after 5 years and a deeper pool of players.

While other coaches have created US teams that were greater than the sum of its parts, under Klinsmann they perform as less than their sum.

3. Bob Ashpole replied, June 26, 2016 at 6:10 a.m.

A 4th place finish at the Copa is hardly underperforming. Generally the team was well coached during the tournament. The exception was the Argentina game, and it was all the more upsetting because I had thought we had gotten past the starting lineup and substitution mistakes. Even if the pool is deeper now (which I don't believe is true), the pool is not deep enough. IMO we had only about 4 players on the bench including Howard capable of starting. Teams that have all 23 players capable of starting, they have depth.

4. Richard Brown, June 26, 2016 at 1:22 a.m.

What do you guys think of Orozco? He did it right in front of the officials face. Is it unforgivable error or not?

Both Klinnesman and Gulati should be let go.

5. So Ker replied, June 26, 2016 at 1:40 a.m.

dude is 30 years old, he is at end of career. irrelevant player.

6. Richard Brown, June 26, 2016 at 2:22 a.m.

What is he doing on the team then? He must be mentally slow to do what he did?

7. Ginger Peeler replied, June 26, 2016 at 1:50 p.m.

It is not an unforgivable error, it is a red card offense...and it was my understanding that a head butt was also a red card offense, but the ref only pulled out a yellow. Whatever...Orozco was very foolish to retaliate...makes no difference where the ref was. My daughter's coach pointed out that, almost invariably, the initial contact will be missed by the ref, but the retaliation will be seen. And you will be carded. Some men have shorter fuses than others. Orozco had had enough of the other guy's fouling him off the ball, and the head butt hit the end of his fuse. So he smacked the other guy. NO excuse, but it happens. It hurts the team and teammates. Both Zinedane Zizane (sp?) and David Beckham received red cards and were sent off the field, missing their next matches because they retaliated. Again, it's wrong, but, again, it happens. Thank goodness the card came in the last few minutes of the game.

8. Kent James replied, June 26, 2016 at 7:23 p.m.

Unfortunately Ginger, I know Zidane and Beckham, and Orosco is no Zidane or Beckham (:-)

9. Ginger Peeler replied, June 26, 2016 at 8:39 p.m.

Kent, I wasn't saying Orozco was like Zidane or Beckham except in being foolish and gaining a red card for retaliation. As in, "even the best lose their temper and foul-even-when-they-know-better."

10. Kent James replied, June 27, 2016 at 2:04 p.m.

Ginger, I know. I was just having fun (though it is a bit easier to forgive brilliant players).

11. Ric Fonseca, June 26, 2016 at 3:01 a.m.

Hey guys, damned if we did and damned if we didn't, right?

12. Ginger Peeler replied, June 26, 2016 at 11:32 a.m.

Exactamente, Ric!

13. Bob Ashpole, June 26, 2016 at 5:49 a.m.

I thought the ratings generally were a little too low. The US played well against one of the top five teams in the world. Howard was in excellent form despite losing the starting job at Everton. Quick as ever. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

14. stewart hayes replied, June 26, 2016 at 8:13 a.m.

Agree generally. JJ won balls throughout the game and was a strong presence. Yedlin I would rate lower. He failed his primary job, defense, where his mark beat him at the far post on the only goal of the game.

15. David Mont, June 26, 2016 at 8:01 a.m.

Jermaine Jones with a 6?? To me, he exemplifies what Klinsmann ball is all about: being nasty and stepping on toes. Did anyone notice how, after elbowing a Colombian player in the face, Jones spent the next two minutes on the ground clutching his own face like he was shot, even though he wasn't even touched? It worked, I guess, he avoided a red card. The US would've added to its record-breaking tally of red cards in the tournament.

16. Greg Milton, June 26, 2016 at 8:05 a.m.

Zardes is not a intl caliber player. He cannot beat anyone 1 v 1...he doesn't do any moves, no fients...nothing...he just hustles...let him play defense but he is horrible as a winger n striker

17. Ginger Peeler replied, June 26, 2016 at 12:10 p.m.

Zardes is our Frankie Hejduk...very fast, not having the greatest first touch, but still he scores and assists on goals. He will either get better over time or someone will replace him. Right now, he and Yedlin provide dual threats with their speed up the sides. Neither is perfect, but they complement the team that we have.

18. Bob Ashpole replied, June 26, 2016 at 12:16 p.m.

I agree that Zardes is the weak link as far as possession, but it is because of his heavy first touch. As for "moves," inside and outside cuts and being quick are more important on the wing than fancy moves. The more times you touch the ball, the slower you play.

19. Bob Ashpole replied, June 26, 2016 at 12:27 p.m.

Ginger, my thoughts exactly. I actually thought Zardes's improved play on the ball was a positive takeaway of the tournament.

20. Ed M, June 26, 2016 at 8:13 a.m.

Is this author a real expert or just a disappointed fan? These comments are always so poorly written. The US appeared to dominate play, held the ball well, but failed to finish. This was a game they should have won. Jame Rodriguez the best player on the field? Really? What game were you watching. He was on the floor most of the time complaining about being fouled as the reason he lost the ball. This was a disappointing game and Colombia was lucky to score.

21. Wooden Ships replied, June 26, 2016 at 8:31 a.m.

From what I saw, which wasn't from start to finish, we did have the ball enough in the middle. We just aren't polished in the attacking third. Wood appears solid going forward and in my mind, so does Bedoya, Nagbe, Pulisic. Zardes, dunno-great work rate and heart. Sure this was discussed Pre match, but I didn't hear, were Johnson and Brooks injured? Enough to not start?

22. beautiful game replied, June 26, 2016 at 10:16 a.m.

Minutes for Nagbe and Pulisic, when this game was the chance to give them a full shot. Again, the same miscues; there were at least a dozen unforced turnovers...technically a decent performance, and much, much better intensity.

23. Bob Ashpole replied, June 26, 2016 at 12:30 p.m.

WS, yes Johnson and Brookes were not 100% and unavailable.

24. Ginger Peeler replied, June 26, 2016 at 12:56 p.m.

About Ridge Mahoney, written in 2006, I believe: RIDGE MAHONEY

For the past three decades I've been a soccer writer, broadcaster, and journalist. Shortly after my family moved from San Francisco a few miles south to the suburbs, television coverage of two fledgling American pro leagues introduced me, an avid young sports fan, to soccer. In a year two leagues became one. The survivor, the North American Soccer League, lasted 17 years before folding. During its lifespan, as I wrote about myriad topics, I encountered players and coaches and officials and fans from dozens of countries. Separated by culture, language, and history, they were joined by -- and to -- the game of feet, feints, and feigned injury, as am I.
    Since 1986 my employer has been Soccer America Magazine. I've written for other publications, including the Washington Post and USA Today, and since 1994 have also worked in radio and television.
    The sport has taken me to more than two dozen countries, including China, where I met my wife XiuPing while covering the first Women's World Cup. Along with our son, Kevin, we live in Richmond, Calif.

25. Wooden Ships replied, June 26, 2016 at 1:09 p.m.

Thanks Bob

26. Ric Fonseca replied, June 26, 2016 at 1:57 p.m.

Ed and Ginger: First, reading Ginger's bio on R. Mahoney, it is fairly obvious that he "learned" the sport as a writer, but there is no evidence of him actually having played, managed, officiated or even sponsored a team. OK, fine and dandy, however, it does boggle the mind to read his rankings, and I will say something here that will not endear me to some readers: There is an "unwritten aura" about M. Bradley, but more telling to me, he does harbor resentment and displays negative bias against SOME, (notice my emphasis, please) Latino/Hispanic players, to wit Orozco, who IMHO was instructed to play the way we saw him perform. Come on now, a 3??? Yes, he was stupid in retaliating against the Arias and as noted above he had reached a level of frustration in getting the s...t kicked outta him by Cuadrado and others. As for him RM being a writer for SA since the mid 1980's well, pilgrim, I first met Clay Berling in the Oakland Bay area in the late 60's early '70s at the time of the Oakland Clippers, have several original SOCCER WEST ISSUES also wrote for then Soccer West and then Soccer America and wrote for them from the SoCal/LA area and "credentialled" by Clay and Lynn Berling.OK, 'nuff about me, however, Mr. Ridge's creds, are OK, but his overall and personal ACTUAL experience as a player, coach, team Dad, game official, etc. is obviously lacking. As for our game yesterday, our guys played up several notches, that they couldn't put it in the back of the goal was more than frustrating, and the Col GK sure "robbed" Deuce - again! - and during the game when MB went down, my beautiful wife who is now pretty knowledgeable and very soccer "savvy" asked why in heck did MB have to always be a starter: is there something unknown to us as to why he'd been a constant starter for the USMNT? As someone above said, his playing days should be focused on his MLS team. Bring up Nagbe and Pulisic, Yedlin, Bedoya and a host of younger players. Get rid of Sunil? Never happen, he holds an ELECTED position and is on FIFA's Exec Com. Get rid of JK? Perhaps, but whoever is brought in with the next WC around the corner, would be tantamount to cruel and unusual punishment for the poor soul. Anyhow, just sayin' PLAY ON!!!

27. Ginger Peeler replied, June 26, 2016 at 7:15 p.m.

Ric, I found the bio on Ridge online and posted it so Ed could decide for himself if Ridge was an expert or frustrated fan. That doesn't mean I agree with Ridge...I was shocked by the low grades (in my opinion) he gave our guys in the 4-0 Costa Rica win. I do appreciate his different point of view; he's good at pointing out things I've missed. So are you and all the other folks posting here. I may not always agree, but I appreciate the different takes presented. I agree that Ridge's score for Orozco was abysmal. I understand that he's subtracting points for poor behavior, but still..! I also agree with your feeling that the ref for Colombia seemed to favor the Colombians. Still, I'm prejudiced in favor of the US. Nobody else mentioned it, but I wasn't happy that our refs for the Argentina game were from Paraguay and Ecuador (or was it Costa Rica?). That was just wrong. Couldn't they have found refs from countries that hadn't lost to us or Argentina hadn't played?

28. Kent James, June 26, 2016 at 8:24 a.m.

I don't understand JK's use of Orosco; he just doesn't add anything, and he's too slow and too easily beaten on defense. Other than that (and the Argentina game line-up), I agree with Bob, I thought JK coached pretty well (finally some consistency). While we played poorly in the Argentina game (and were justifiably spanked), here we played pretty well. I thought we controlled more of the play than Colombia did, and certainly had better chances. That being said, since Colombia was up 1-0, they may have been okay with that (and had we tied it up, they might have put more pressure on us). But overall, not a bad tournament for the US. The question is, is not bad good enough to keep JK?

29. Wooden Ships replied, June 26, 2016 at 8:42 a.m.

I think Colombia would have tightened the screws more had we leveled. We certainly had enough if the ball to to get goals, but finishing we couldn't. I question the good coaching job. He did bring the 4 backs together. I still disagree with selections and positions. Even more, now, what is disconcerting is the team and individual discipline. I do not see confidence anymore.

30. Ric Fonseca replied, June 26, 2016 at 2:06 p.m.

KENT, as the pre-game color commentators indicated, Orozco was put in place to replace injured players, and though his stupid temperament got the best of him, fortunately the game official, who in my opinion seemed to be "favoring" the Colombians, not calling obvious fouls right in front of him, etc., also red carded Arias. ONE WORD on the pre-game English language commentators, once again, I thought that Lalas and Fiore were gonna head-to-head, Whoever decided to bring him that bombastic guy, jeepers, he needs a pink slip. Amy, now Amy did a splendid job, her knowledge of the game IMHO is 1000% better than that payaso Fiore, who uttered some not so nice comments about the USMNT and the US as a whole and led me to think that Lalas was gonna ask him out. Anyone else see this encounter?

31. Wooden Ships replied, June 26, 2016 at 7:28 p.m.

I didn't see it Ric, but Amy is a great listen. She easily outshines the two men.

32. Kent James replied, June 26, 2016 at 7:33 p.m.

Ric, I didn't see the pregame (but I figured Broosk & Johnson had to have some fitness problems, since both played well throughout the tournament). But we still had Castillo on the bench, and I think he's a much better outside back than Orosco (Orosco seems like a solid CB, though his lack of height doesn't help him there, so I think we have 5-6 guys who are better at that position than he is, and Orosco does not come forward well (And against Colombia he kept getting caught out of position). Castillo can be effective offensively, and seems a lot faster than Orosco.

33. Bob Ashpole replied, June 27, 2016 at 2:56 a.m.

Ric, I say the pre-game. Lalas was turning purple.

34. j bapper, June 26, 2016 at 10:11 a.m.

We have to build the team around our youth... Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin, Fabian, Pulisic, Wood, Nagbe. Bradley's best days are behind him. He's definitely lost a step and can't keep up with the pace of the game anymore. Beckerman, Zusi, Wondo, Orozco and especially Zardes should resume their professional careers but not play for the US again. Klinsmann needs to go but Gulati doesn't have the courage to make the change.

35. Bob Ashpole replied, June 26, 2016 at 1:23 p.m.

I thought JK should have been replaced last summer. His performance was consistently poor until the second Guatemala match. I also think that the National Technical Director Job is too important to dual hat with the MNT job. We need someone to focus on youth development and experts at youth development and coaching education usually are not also national team coaches. A manager is not going to fire someone today for last year's failures, because it reflects badly on management.

36. Charles Stamos, June 26, 2016 at 10:13 a.m.

Orozco was headbutted and instead of walking away or feigning injury like almost all our opponents are likely to do, he slaps Arias in retaliation. Pretty stupid. Arias would have received a straight red and we finish 11 v 10.

37. Wooden Ships replied, June 26, 2016 at 10:34 a.m.

Maybe so Charles. It was a head kiss, not sure if we have gotten red, without Orosco's action. He should though. Can anyone tell me if Brooks and Johnson were injured?

38. Ginger Peeler replied, June 26, 2016 at 11:41 a.m.

WS...yes, Brooks and Johnson were injured.

39. Wooden Ships replied, June 26, 2016 at 1:10 p.m.

Thanks Ginger

40. George Venieris, June 26, 2016 at 10:59 a.m.

Maybe they need to find a junger clone of Otto Rehhagel who introduced a system and style of play that managed to make Euro Cup winners out of the exceedingly untalented Greeks in 2004.
    We produce fine coaches in Germany but Jürgen Klinsmann isn't one of them. My mental picture of him is sitting on his butt at the VfB Stuttgart pitch screaming at the refs.

41. Goal Goal, June 26, 2016 at 11:01 a.m.

If you can't finish you finish a loser.

42. Clayton Davis, June 26, 2016 at 12:07 p.m.

BRadley has a tendency to play through injuries and it ALWAYS hurts his teams. He's had an injury for the past several months, I think.

43. Daniel Clifton, June 26, 2016 at 1:15 p.m.

Before the tournament I thought there was no way the US was going to make the semifinals. So to me this was a positive result and I have to give Klinsmann credit for doing some things right, such as using the same guys on the back four. It seems to me Klinsmann is growing as a manager. I do criticize him for not playing young guys more, Nagbe and Pulisic. These guys have technical skill that most of the other guys on the team do not have. He should be playing these two. Bradley does appear to be going backwards. It would probably help if he only played a well defined number 6 role. If he is injured it would at least partially explain his poor play. That leaves the question: Why is he playing at all if he is injured?

44. Bob Ashpole replied, June 26, 2016 at 1:29 p.m.

Why is Bradley playing? Because the team plays better with him on the field. Specifically Jones can move higher when paired with Bradley.

45. cisco martinez, June 26, 2016 at 1:24 p.m.

Bradley is too inconsistent, there are games where he has trendous work rate and other games where he loses his composure, passing ability, and not mentally strong enough. Bradley is a holding midfielder, so to make him a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder by klinsmann is asking too much. Again, another Klinsmann flaw, playing players out of position, we need Feilhaber type of midfielder to be creative, play balls through the channel and play between the lines; we are lacking in that department. Klinsmann liked midfielder that can defend well not necessarily attack well.

46. Ric Fonseca replied, June 26, 2016 at 2:17 p.m.

Cisco, hola como estas? I agree Bradley inconsistency is a detriment to the USMNT. As for JK "plahying players out of position," I feel that JK is a student of the dogma that every professional players must be able to play every position, and any, and I mean ANY and ALL players must know every position and MUST adapt to the changing nature of the game, from the time the whistle goes to the bitter or glorious end of the match! Fielhaber has reached the end of his playing rope for the MNT as has MB. Jeepers, remember when your coach used to tell you that defense begins the instant you lose the ball? Fitness is also part and parcel of a CMF, and MB seemed to run out of steam midway through the first half. There ARE better players out there, the only drawback is that JK MUST find them and incorporate them, from our own back yard and sooner rather than later. Is Nagbe the answer? One way to find out is to give him more and more playing time! Ya lo veremos, dijo el ciego cuando abrio sus ojos!

47. Kent James replied, June 26, 2016 at 7:42 p.m.

Historically, Bradley has been one of our most consistent players. He did not play well in this tournament (nor in the WC, though there he was out of position, and there he didn't play badly). So lately, he's not been the MB of the past, and the question is 'is than an aberration or a trend'? I think you give a player like him (and, ahem, Donovan, Howard, etc.) a bit of leeway on their performances. For example, Dempsey had been very poor (his play in the loss to Mexico was disinterested, at best), but he certainly played well here. Proven commodities are unlikely to just lose their abilities, though as players get older, it is always difficult (I think one of the most difficult decisions in sports, especially for the player) when decline is inevitable and it is time to move on. MB is certainly not at that stage yet.

48. cisco martinez, June 26, 2016 at 3:41 p.m.

Ric, I think that's the problem with Klinsmann, if you have an expectation of your player to be flexible to play positions that we all know aren't comfortable with, how can you as a coach, player, going to comfortable within a formation, style of play, and win games? Donovan pointed this out as well. You don't have to be a coach to point out that the Copa America tournament illustrates that US defense played well when you have a consistent defense playing together, Costa rica, Paraguay and Ecuador games we
    were solid defensively. Against Argentina Klinsmanns team was far too defensive with Beckerman, Zusi, and zardes on the wings.

49. Carl Hudson, June 26, 2016 at 4:09 p.m.

Colombia is a bunch of fouling, faking, time-wasting hacks. If the referee had any sense, there would have been FIFTEEN minutes of added time - and a dozen yellow cards to Colombia for simulation.

50. Bob Ashpole replied, June 27, 2016 at 3:20 a.m.

My response is that if the Columbian player had not scored, it would have been worse for the US because Yedlin pulled the player down from behind.

51. beautiful game, June 26, 2016 at 4:48 p.m.

Players like Nagbe and Pulisic need to play now and in a highly competitive environment. Coach K missed a great opportunity to give these two the full 90 minutes. Wood has shown that he is an accomplished attacking forward having excellent pace, quick starts, technical skills, and the will to make things happen. I'd like Jozy to get a shot playing with Wood in order to determine if they would be a complimentary combo. Otherwise, it's time to say goodbye.

52. Wooden Ships replied, June 26, 2016 at 7:20 p.m.

That's probably going to happen I w., not too many options. I'm hoping Morris won't regress in Seatle. But it appears that neither are as complete as Wood. Another thing is durability. I played with and coached some guys that seemed to regularly miss time. It's hard to build with players that aren't available half the time. We need to put out a BOLO on a couple strong forwards. Along with the idea of those two playing together, the key for them, especially Jozy, will be service. So, another BOLO for a 10.

53. Bob Ashpole replied, June 27, 2016 at 3:08 a.m.

Waste of time trying out Jozy with Woods. Jozy is great with the ball in front of him running at goal, but lacks the necessary skills to play effectively in a striker pair (with anyone) and isn't effective playing as a target forward back to goal. IMO Zardes has the same (limited) attacking skill set as Jozy and is slightly ahead of Jozy because of his speed and defending.

54. Bob Ashpole replied, June 27, 2016 at 3:15 a.m.

Let me rephrase. If we start Jozy, we are stuck playing a very direct counterattacking style. He hasn't the skills to play winger or possession style.

55. Ginger Peeler, June 26, 2016 at 8:02 p.m.

JK is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. If we had won last night, with our initial team, there would still be grumbling that we would have played better if Nagbe/Pulisic had started/been subbed earlier/you pick. If they HAD started and we STILL lost by a goal, you'd be blaming JK, the other players or...(fill in the blank here)...Nagbe is very good, but he has been faulted for some of his MLS play. A lot of us wanted a win. I'm not sure Nagbe is ready for the pressure of having a lot of the responsibility for this team on his shoulders just yet. And I will say again, Pulisic has a 17-yr old body. He's on the field with men in fully mature bodies, and some of those opponents think nothing of injuring an opposing player to take them out. Some of our former USMNT players have been forced to retire due to chippy play by opponents. A red card makes no difference, the soccer career may be over. Pulisic obviously has the technique and ability to become a phenomenon. So let's keep him safe while he matures.

56. Ric Fonseca, June 26, 2016 at 11:56 p.m.

Ginger: Hallellujah, prise the Lord, and Amen! Well said!!!

57. Bob Ashpole replied, June 27, 2016 at 3:23 a.m.

Agree.

58. Dan Eckert, June 27, 2016 at 7:21 a.m.

Maybe - MAYBE - someone could share the scoring methodolology that the author uses to create their score for each player.

Is it an algorithm and point system where you take the amount of meters run, by number of completed passes, take always, lost balls, goal kicks, forward momentum ratios, possession of the ball, shots on goal, goal and/or assist multipliers, etc.?

Or is it the average of 3 random rolls of a 10 sided dice?

I'm thinking it's the later.

59. Ginger Peeler replied, June 27, 2016 at 12:50 p.m.

Dan, I don't think Ridge approaches his ratings in a scientific matter. It's purely subjective. Over the years, I've thought his assessments to be pretty fair. However, his grades for our Centenario games have sometimes made me wonder if we were watching the same games. I read the ratings for one of our games on a sports app I have, and there the players were all 1 to 2 points higher than Ridge's. Perhaps Ridge is getting cantankerous in his older age and views every game's player from a negative standpoint? Who knows? But he certainly does give us a lot to discuss, right?

60. Ric Fonseca replied, June 27, 2016 at 3:21 p.m.

Hey Dan and Ginger, maybe "Ragin' Ridge" is gearing up to replace none other than venerable, irascible and cantankerous SA "icon" Paul Gardner? Jeez, I hope not!!! BTW,and FYI I first met PG in 1972 at Miami's orange Bowl when my alma mater UCLA was in the final four (not called that back then in da day) and he took a liking to us because our coach then was Dennis Storer (RIP) who actually developed the Bruins into a power house starting in the later '60s taking the team from a Scottish club coach, and believe it or not, also "coached" Sigi Schmid and weldomed Steve Sampson to the team in the very early '70s.

61. Lonaka K, June 27, 2016 at 10:03 a.m.

Orozco should stay in Mexico and never return to represent the USA. Also Dempsey who does not know the USA's National Anthem, should also be left of the roster.

62. Ric Fonseca replied, June 27, 2016 at 3:24 p.m.

Oh come-come-come now Lona. You sound like a politician! And how do you know that Deuce doesn't "know the USA's National Anthem (sic)?" I've seen countless players of various national teams not sing their national anthem, it is a matter of choice and personal preference.

63. Lonaka K, June 27, 2016 at 10:05 a.m.

Jones plays like a chicken with its head cut off.