What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann

"I grew up in Germany. My father’s family lived in East Germany; I grew up in West Germany. I had to wait 25 years until the wall came down in ’89. My family was always divided. So I know what it means that people are not united, that there are different walls to break down.”

-- U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann on the the symbolism of the first USA-Cuba match in Havana since the normalization of relations. (MLSSoccer.com)
7 comments about "What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann".
  1. Allan Lindh, October 9, 2016 at 6:15 p.m.

Most thoughtful comment I've ever seen from him. Doesn't make him a good coach, but suggests he's more of a human being than I thought.

2. Wooden Ships replied, October 10, 2016 at 8:37 a.m.

Allan, there has never been anything JK has done that suggests he isn't a decent guy. This also suggests that the Cuba match did involve some thought of outreach to Cuba, contrary to some that believe it wasn't a consideration.

3. David Mont, October 9, 2016 at 7:56 p.m.

This is BS. Are Cubans now free to go anywhere they want to? For example, visit their families in the US? No, nothing has changed for them. A totally flawed analogy. When the Berlin wall came down, all Germans, from the East and from the West, could travel freely anywhere. With Cuba now, it's a one-way freedom. Cubans are still as oppresssed as they were before.

4. Bob Ashpole replied, October 10, 2016 at 11:46 a.m.

Time will tell. Progress may come from baby steps, but the journey cannot be seen when looking at a single step.

5. David Mont, October 10, 2016 at 2:01 p.m.

This is very much like the country I grew up in. No one I knew -- my family, my friends, my acquitances -- could ever dream of traveling abroad. It was just impossible. Foreigners, however, were allowed into the country because the government needed hard currency, and it also needed gullible dupes to be shown only what the government wanted them to see, who would then go back home having learned nothing and understood even less, and singing praises to what they saw. And we would stay behind and continue to suffer under the oppresive regime and wonder if all westerners were really that stupid.

6. Daniel Clifton replied, October 11, 2016 at 10:38 a.m.

Yes, David they are that stupid and by the way what country are you talking about?

7. David Mont, October 11, 2016 at 10:09 p.m.

USSR.