What They're Saying: Abby Wambach

"I’d love to sit down with Mix Diskerud and some of these other guys and talk to them about it. I’d love to understand how much they love their country. I believe they can have love for both countries, but I’d love to hear it, and I think so many other people would, too. If this is an ignorant opinion, I’ll raise my hand in the end and say, “My bad.” But I’d want to have that conversation."

-- Abby Wambach, who reiterated her comments that she was uncomfortable with the U.S. men's national team using players who have never lived in the United States and questioned whether they have a "killer instinct." (New York Times)
9 comments about "What They're Saying: Abby Wambach".
  1. Ryan Dold, October 11, 2016 at 9:32 a.m.

I love the fact that she is questioning this when so many are scared to say anything. So many here find Rapinoe actions outrageous but are ok with so many foreign born players representing Usa when it is very clear Usa was a 2nd choice for them.

2. Mark Deblois, October 11, 2016 at 12:03 p.m.

Mix has been talking about his being an American with American soccer fans for years on bigsoccer.com. He may be the most accessible US national team player to the fans that there is. Maybe Abby should pay a little bit more attention to the subject before she opens her mouth about it. Just throwing crap out there without having any idea of what you're talking about reflects more on the speaker then the person you were speaking about. Check out Mix's thread on bigsoccer.com for yourself. The guy is pure class. That is more than I can say for Abby.

3. Andrew Brown, October 11, 2016 at 1:19 p.m.

Maybe Abby should start with a sit down with her buddy Meg Rapinoe and find out if she really loves this country.

4. Ryan Dold, October 11, 2016 at 3:54 p.m.

She didnt just mention Mix. SHe did say the other guys. A few of them have said they would rather play for Germany as first option but thats ok with you Rapinoe bashers right? LOL.

5. Mark Deblois replied, October 11, 2016 at 4:10 p.m.

In regards to Mix though, she singled him out because he responded to her initial comments. She says that she would love to have a conversation with him about what it means to be an American and she bets a lot of fans would as well. This is a conversation that he has been having for years with fans directly - even while he was living in Norway. I know where his relatives live in Arizona, what his favorite American fast foods are, why he wanted to play in MLS, etc. - and I've known it for years. What people like Abby do is they throw out a general accusation without thinking about it and then, if the accusation is correct in the case of any person at all uses that one case to claim wisdom and insight in general. What she is really promoting is lazy thinking at others expense.

6. Ryan Dold, October 11, 2016 at 5:01 p.m.

If thats the case then I fully agree with you but that said many USA National Team fans are extremely hipocritical as well. Just read all the past SA pieces on Hispanics picking between Mexico and USA but none of them have anything say about GermanAmericans picking Germany over USA and ending up on USA as 2nd option. Even if Abby is wrong about Mix she is addressing that issue as well. Just shows what most commentators have on as blinders.

7. Wooden Ships, October 11, 2016 at 7:51 p.m.

Patriotic litmus test? Bad form, IMO. I might have served with their dads in my 25 years wearing the uniform of the US Army.

8. Bob Ashpole replied, October 13, 2016 at 11:05 p.m.

Excellent point WS.

9. Julio Moreira, October 12, 2016 at 1:10 p.m.

I couldn't agree more with Abby, there is so much talent in this great country of ours, that to import German-Americans or any other nationality it does no good for Football.
    We have so much local talent, players like, Bradley, Tim Howard, Omar Gonzalez, Clint Dempsey and so on, but with a loser like JK what can you expect? and Gulatti at the helm of USSF is a JOKE