MLS Imports: Clubs move into high gear early

While MLS owners are pumping millions of dollars into player development (academies, USL teams, facilities), their clubs still rely heavily on imports. And action picked up in December as MLS clubs signed 17 imports, Americans and foreigners who played on foreign clubs in 2016. That number equals the number of December imports in 2014 and 2015 combined. What's behind the flurry of activity?

Several factors are at play.

EXPANSION. Two additional teams -- Atlanta United and Minnesota United -- will begin play in 2017 and must stock their rosters.

Atlanta United had already signed five imports by the end of the summer, but they have added three more, including the most expensive offseason signing, Paraguayan Miguel Almiron, signed to a Young Designated Player contract. Minnesota United has only just gotten started with the process of filling its roster, signing Costa Rican Francisco CalvoonTuesday.

TAM FUNDING. This is the second full season MLS have increased funding under the Targeted Allocation Money initiative: $800,000 boosted to $1.2 million by an additional $400,000 approved by MLS owners in December.

TAM allows clubs to add more players than the three Designated Players on salaries over the maximum amount of $480,625 in 2017. Perhaps even more important, it can be used to pay down the acquisition costs -- transfer fees -- that MLS clubs for many years abhorred.

Only two of the December imports were acquired with TAM money -- Honduran Romell Quioto (Houston Dynamo) and Calvo -- but simply having the TAM money in reserve allows club to finalize other deals that might not happened in the past.

NEW PIPELINES. Of the 17 imports, 14 arrived from clubs in Mexico, Central America or South America.

The most transfers from any club is three from Costa Rica's Saprissa -- Panamanian Adolfo Machado (Houston Dynamo), Daniel Guzman (Portland Timbers) and Calvo -- though more signings from La S are expected as the Tico player market has been received new attention.

Tijuana, first in the opening phase of Mexico's 2016 Torneo Apertura, is sending three players to MLS, but two of them will be on loan (Juninho to the Chicago Fire and Greg Garza to Atlanta United). Xolos has an abundance of Americans under contract -- eight in the fall season, plus Joe Corona, who returned after winning the second division Ascenso MX title with Dorados -- but most did not play or saw little action, like Juninho and Garza, in the Apertura.

2017 December MLS signings:
IMPORTS (DESIGNATED PLAYERS).
M Miguel Almiron-Paraguay (Atlanta United <  Lanus/ARG [transfer])
F Nemanja Nikolic-Serbia (Chicago Fire < Legia Warsaw/POL [transfer])
F Alberth Elis-Honduras (Houston Dynamo < Monterrey/MEX [loan])

IMPORTS (ALLOCATION PROCESS).
M Juninho-Brazil (Chicago Fire < Tijuana/MEX [loan])

IMPORTS (INTERNATIONALS).
D Jukka Raitala
-Finland (Columbus Crew < Sogndal/NOR [transfer])
D Anibal Chala-Ecuador (FC Dallas < El Nacional/ECU [transfer])
M Roland Lamah-Belgium (FC Dallas < Ferencvaros/HUN [free])
D Jose Salvatierra-Costa Rica (FC Dallas < Alajuelense/CRC [loan])
F Jose Guillermo Ortiz-Costa Rica (D.C. United < Herediano/CRC [loan])
D Adolfo Machado-Panama (Houston Dynamo < Saprissa/CRC [transfer])
F Romell Quioto-Honduras (Houston Dynamo < Olimpia/HON [TAM-transfer])
D Francisco Calvo-Costa Rica (Minnesota United < Saprissa/CRC [TAM-transfer])
M Daniel Guzman-Costa Rica (Portland Timbers < Saprissa/CRC [transfer])
D Igor Juliao-Brazil (Sporting KC < Fluminense/BRA [loan])

IMPORTS (AMERICANS).
F Greg Garza (Atlanta United < Tijuana/MEX [loan])
F Brandon Vazquez (Atlanta United < Tijuana/MEX [transfer])
F Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake < Veracruz/MEX [loan return])

8 comments about "MLS Imports: Clubs move into high gear early".
  1. Jenny Hills, December 30, 2016 at 9:13 a.m.

Testimony On How My Life was Transformed (Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com)..

I am writing this Testimony because am really grateful for what Martinez Lexie did for me and my family, when I thought there was no hope he came and make my family feel alive again by lending us loan at a very low interest rate of 2%. Well I have been searching for a loan to settle my debts for the past three months all I met scammed and took my money total 6,500usd until I finally met a God sent Lender. I never thought that there are still genuine loan lenders on the internet but to my greatest surprise i got my loan without wasting much time so if you are out there looking for a loan of any kind for business or other purposes i would advise you to email Mr Martinez via: ( Lexieloancompany@yahoo.com ) or through the Company website: http://lexieloans.bravesites.com OR text: +18168926958 and be free of internet scams. thanks… Jenny Hills CA, United State

2. don Lamb, December 30, 2016 at 3:25 p.m.

Check out the ages on these incoming players and try telling me that this tired criticism of MLS being a retirement league holds true.

3. beautiful game, December 30, 2016 at 9:34 p.m.

Let's see how this importation quota works out, how the players fit in, and how much time these players get on the pitch.

4. Wooden Ships, December 31, 2016 at 12:22 p.m.

Along with players having a better quality of touch, for MLS to rise in respect the managers, owners, Garber and the referees need to discourage the all to often bruising play. Our youth model after the pro. Clean it up!

5. Wooden Ships replied, December 31, 2016 at 8:57 p.m.

I don't want to accept the obvious Jen. Eternal optimist, former player, coach, general manager and yes, perhaps delusional. MLS could set the bar high. Happy New Year.

6. Allan Lindh replied, January 2, 2017 at 4:50 p.m.

Yup, MLS needs a sea-change in refereeing, punish all vicious and/or "professional" fouls with Yellows first time they occur. And the repeated hits on opposing skill players will only stop with Dismissals. They are a third-rate league until that occurs, and it is an insult to their fans to assume they have an NHL/Nascar mentality.

7. Moore Robbinson, August 25, 2017 at 7:36 p.m.

ATTENTION: Loan Offer By Robbinson Moore Loans
    I am a private lender, I offer loan at 2% interest rate, we are ready to help you out in any financial problem. Do you need an urgent loan? are you in debt? do you need urgent loan to finance your business?, have you been denied by your bank? worry no more our Services are Quick, Easy & Secure in whatever circumstances. Borrow up to $2,000 - $10,000,000 Today, We are a company willing to give you loan with Affordable interest rate at 2%, We offer loans to individuals, private Companies, firms, and all kinds of company organizations, Including real estate investors. We are certified, Registered and legitimate creditors. Contact us with loan information at this email:{mooreloancompany@yahoo.com}

8. Moore Robbinson, September 8, 2017 at 10:16 a.m.

MOORE LOANS SAVE ME WHEN THERE WAS NO HOPE {mooreloancompany@yahoo.com}

Hello everyone in this forum, I am Luis Root from USA, I cannot believe that God really exist not until i was Redeemed and saved from Financial bondage.. l was into financial crisis and needed to pay some bills. l tried seeking help from banks but all to no avail,l also tried seeking help from the internet only to meet scammers who pretended to be private lender and made away with my $15000 and did not get my loan, not until GOD introduce me to Moore Robbinson through a friend who was rescued from financial problem and a loan of $100,000.00 was granted to him by Moore Robbinson, so l took his advise and contacted Moore Loan Company and in the space of one week my loan of $200000 was granted to me.so my advise to everyone seeking for loan at low interest rate of 2% .l am doing this because l am so happy am out of financial bondage and am once again full of joy and life is easy all thanks to GOD and Moore Robbinson. You can contact Moore Loan Company via {mooreloancompany@yahoo.com} OR Text (414) 454-9493