What They're Saying: Tim Howard

"I'm an old man and I've seen a lot of things, and what it seemed like to me was there was a lack of passion and desire by certain players to run through a wall. The national team is my heart and soul. If you take that away from me, you take a piece of my heart."

-- Tim Howard, questioning the passion of certain players on the U.S. national team but insisting his comments in USA Today were directed at both dual nationals and players whose roots were in the USA. (ESPN FC)
7 comments about "What They're Saying: Tim Howard".
  1. Tork Johnson, January 19, 2017 at 2:54 a.m.

Thanks Tim, you were so passionate about the #USMNT that you took a year off?

2. Bob Ashpole replied, January 19, 2017 at 5:07 p.m.

And that hurt the USA how?

3. Ric Fonseca, January 19, 2017 at 2:51 p.m.

Can the same thing be said about/to LD?

4. Tork Johnson, January 19, 2017 at 7:07 p.m.

Holy censorship Batman. Really Soccer America?

5. R2 Dad, January 20, 2017 at 12:22 a.m.

The unfortunate reality of CONCACAF qualification is that you need a bunch of guys that really want to grind out results on the road, in crummy stadia, with abusive fans, hot/humid weather, against players no one's ever heard of. It's not very sexy, but it has to get done. Then, once you DO qualify, you need high-skill players that have a chance against the elite of Europe and South America. If you're playing in Europe, traveling to these camps and to central america wears you down, regardless of how professional you are or how proud you are to wear the shirt. And if it wasn't a slog, Timmy wouldn't have requested a year off. Regardless of how you feel about dual nationals, getting Europeans through the hex is more difficult, with more wear and more travel and therefor an increased injury threat (especially for older players). For that reason, I think having an MLS squad to get through the hex is a great idea. I think Bruce will do fine with these guys. The question then becomes, how do you re-integrate the Europe-based players? I think we would have seen fewer European-based players transferring to MLS if that proximity didn't substantially improve the players ability to perform for the USMNT in qualifying. Just my 2 cents.

6. Bob Ashpole replied, January 20, 2017 at 12:49 a.m.

I think Bruce made it quite clear that some European players would be joining the team when their clubs are required to release them for the March qualifiers. The January camp is who he wants to look at of the players available now. It is important to look at players who are in their off season (MLS) and players who are in season but not starting regularly for their clubs. Players in season and starting for their clubs are probably better off staying with their clubs even if the club would release them.

7. R2 Dad replied, January 20, 2017 at 8:12 a.m.

Yes, very curious how this will play out in march.