U.S. Abroad: Gator star Jordan heads to Glasgow City

Savannah Jordan, the first University of Florida player who was named an NSCAA All-American four times, signed to play for Scottish powerhouse Glasgow City. She fell to the Portland Thorns in the second round of the 2017 NWSL College Draft because of her plans to play in Europe in 2017.

Jordan is No. 2 on Florida’s all-time scoring list with career goals (81) and points (189) behind only Abby Wambach. She was just third player since 2000 to rank among the NCAA Division I top 10 goal scorers each season of collegiate career.

Jordan is the third college star to head to Europe. West Virginia's Kadeisha Buchanan (Lyon) and Ashley Lawrence (Paris St. Germain) are in France.

Jordan will be joined at Glasgow City by another Gator. Lauren Silver, a four-year starter (2011-14), was signed from French club Metz. Glasgow City also signed Noelle Murray, the Player of the Year in Ireland's National League Player of the Year with Shelbourne Ladies. Another American, Haley Rosen, signed with Glasgow City in the middle of the 2016 season.

Glasgow City has won 10 straight Scottish league titles. The eight-team Scottish Women's Premier League 1 kicks off in March.

9 comments about "U.S. Abroad: Gator star Jordan heads to Glasgow City".
  1. frank schoon, January 23, 2017 at 10:41 a.m.

Bad move...Why Scotland?? That country hasn't produced a decent player in years and besides it is not known for their youth development....Scotland plays without brains, and most of the players play with blinders on...Sorry ,it is awful soccer. The last great team they had was Celtics with Jimmy Johnstone , one of the greatest players,ever, back in the 60's. It use to be that every English team would want a Scottish player. But soccer has gotten to be so bad in Scotland ,that you'll see English players ,there, instead.

2. R2 Dad replied, January 23, 2017 at 12:42 p.m.

Glasgow City lost in the UEFA round of 32 to a swedish team and I imagine they'd like to progress further next year, hence the signing of a goal-scorer. The fact that it's not a Rangers or Celtic women's team should tell you that women's soccer is considered differently from the men's in Scotland and those historic references you made are literally from the last century.

3. frank schoon, January 23, 2017 at 1:13 p.m.

Those Scottish players mentioned of the last century are still 10x better than what they have playing (using the word loosely) today. Women's soccer will never be a big deal in Europe...sorry to say..It is like women's basketball here...

4. R2 Dad replied, January 23, 2017 at 1:51 p.m.

As a fan, women's soccer is just a different way to love the game. You might be surprised that lots of fans are put off by the astronomical wages, poor attitudes and unrelatable/distant players. The accessibility of women's and lower league soccer can make it more enjoyable, especially for younger fans.

5. frank schoon, January 23, 2017 at 2:28 p.m.

I thought women's soccer would set the example to show more purity of the game and be less physical and more technical. Boy! was I wrong. But to my consternation their game is so much worse. Just in technical terms, I've yet to see a nice pass made with the outside of the foot, a nice tricky winger, a more beautiful game, no,sorry, very disappointing. It is not to say that the men's soccer is so greater technically ,for it isn't, that is why I prefer to much watch men's games on Youtube from the 60's and 70's. Yes, to me, last century soccer is much more appealing. That is why I enjoy watching Barcelona, not so much recently, for like Guardiola stated he copied the style of soccer from the Ajax of the
    early 70's when Cruyff played, or the Dutch National Team played at the WC'74...soccer of the previous century!!!!!
    Whether I watch women's college, for example, today or 20 years ago , it is still garbage...Thinking the women are not as physical like the man, but instead they are ,on their scale.
    I see injuries in women's soccer, not because it is a rough game but only due to their lack of anticipation ahead of time. Very disappointed for I thought their game could set an example, but it hasn't....Like cooking , you would think the best cooks would be women but really it is the men in the world of cooking that set the tone...go figure.

6. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, January 23, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.

Are you Paul Gardner in disguise? All you do is talk about how terrible everything is. Why not just follow another sport?

7. don Lamb replied, January 25, 2017 at 8:21 a.m.

At least Frank has some historical context. Jen Russ, on the other hand... Either way, the negativity is very misguided.

8. frank schoon, January 23, 2017 at 3:19 p.m.

I wish you a nice day for you really don't understand the game and you're simplistically excerpts.... tells me it is not worth it for me to get into the nuts and bolts of soccer...But I'm glad you're a fan, like I am

9. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, January 23, 2017 at 4:17 p.m.

Statements like that are a clear sign you have nothing of substance to say. If I'm lacking in understanding, why not educate me? I'm guessing it's because you can't.