New York Red Bulls: Curtis saga ends with breakup

The Red Bulls announced Thursday the club and sporting director Ali Curtis have “mutually agreed to part ways.”

According to a team statement, that “Curtis and the club tried to work through differing views” during the past month but were unable to resolve the conflict. Curtis was not present last month at the MLS SuperDraft Jan. 13 and according to reports hasn’t been involved in any team activities or conducted any team business since then.

Curtis, 38, left the MLS offices in December, 2014, to join the Red Bulls and after controversially replacing head coach Mike Petke with Jesse Marsch, helped assemble a team that won the Supporters’ Shield and was eliminated by Montreal, 3-1, in the Eastern Conference semifinals. The Red Bulls also reached the Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals and play league rival Vancouver in the first leg next week.

“I think it’s important that I do take a step back and kind of dissect and analyze what I want, what’s out there and then kind of make a decision that’s in my best interest and my family’s best interest moving forward," Curtis told MLSSoccer.com. "I don’t know how long that will take. If it’ll take seven days, seven months or a year, I’m not sure, but I’m going to go out in the marketplace and listen and have conversations and talk to relationships that I’ve had for 10 to 15 years and go from there."

Curtis also helped form the Red Bulls II reserve team, which won the USL regular-season title and USL Cup final. The club has not named a replacement. After retiring as a player in 2003, Curtis worked several years for JP Morgan and in 2007 left to join MLS.  He filled several positions in the league office and was Senior Director of Player Relations and Competition when he took the Red Bulls job.

So ends one of the stranger sagas of a team whose history is pockmarked by remarkable triumphs and stunning failures and more often than not roiled by instability.

No yet known is what role Curtis played in the shocking trade that sent Dax McCarty to Chicago last month. Marsch has said the trade was "poorly handled" but hasn't provided much detail.

“We would like to thank Ali for his contributions to the club over the last two seasons,” the Red Bulls said in the statement. “We wish him the best in all of his future endeavors.”

23 comments about "New York Red Bulls: Curtis saga ends with breakup".
  1. Quarterback TD, February 17, 2017 at 8:13 a.m.

Who the hell care what happen to the "sporting director" of any organization ?? This is really dumb news.. next time tell us what happen to the parking attendant and how it will affect players arriving in time... also no one really cares what is happening in Red Bulls they will not win anything in MLS for a long time because they keep hiring a bunch of people that lack experience..

2. P R replied, February 17, 2017 at 8:44 a.m.

I don't think I'll ever understand this idea that I see in comment sections occasionally, where some people think all articles on a site should be tailored to meet their exact spectrum of interests. Do you think that SoccerAmerica should run every article by you before posting them, to get your expert opinion on what the populace cares about? Also, ironically, on the subject of not posting things that people aren't interested in, what makes you think that people who would click on this article would care about what you think of it? For me, I see lots of articles that don't interest me, and rather than getting angry that such articles exist, I have this little trick I use for them, I don't read them, and instead I just get on with my life, accepting that the world doesn't revolve around me.

3. Quarterback TD replied, February 17, 2017 at 9:27 a.m.

PR, please explain to me why this article is important ? There are much more exciting news to talk about like European Championships and how Ibrahimovich at 35 score a hat trick, also how our young US players are progressing in Europe.. also why Red Bulls ? A team that is overrate and cannot win a trophy to save their life..

4. P R replied, February 17, 2017 at 10:09 a.m.

Um, if you don't understand why a news outlet named SoccerAMERICA would see fit to have a single article reporting on a major change at the top of one of the biggest American soccer clubs, I really can't help you. I am not a fan of NYRB, or any sports team from NY, but, for a soccer site that is US-centric, or North American-centric, I'd say the newswortyness of this story is pretty obvious.

5. Quarterback TD replied, February 17, 2017 at 11:09 a.m.

PR, you are not even answering my question related to this junk article--that tells me you agree with me but is just scared to admit-- don't worry I was being sarcastic as I knew you would agree.. people in sports gets fired and hired everyday but the only thing that matter are the players, owners and coaches.. that is what moves Vegas and that is what determine the team performance..

6. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, February 17, 2017 at 11:12 a.m.

As usual, your comments are foolish nonsense. I'm a season ticket holder for this team and this article is of interest to me. RBNY has been arguably the best club in the country over the last 4-5 years so it makes sense that a publication dedicated to American soccer would write an article when the guy running that team that past two seasons departs in odd circumstances. Is that good enough for you?

7. P R replied, February 17, 2017 at 12:31 p.m.

LOL. So if you tell me that the natural color of grass is pink, and I tell you that statement is obviously wrong, and I reference the color green, but don't then go on to make a lengthy explanation about why grass is the color it is, because it's so obvious, that means I agree with your statement. Interesting, I had no idea. To use the famous line from Cheers, "Hello in there, [Quarterback TD]. Tell me, what color is the sky in your world?" So yes, you're right, I totally agree, the populace in general, including the sports media, doesn't think organizational changes in sports teams are important, because literally nobody thinks such changes affect teams in any way shape or form, those jobs are literally just significant to teams as the jobs done parking by lot attendants. And nobody ever sees articles talking about sporting directors, general managers, scouting directors, team presidents, or any job other than coaches, players and owners, because the whole world agrees with your views. Your insights are awesome, and judging by your alternative facts that you're throwing out there, you are very perceptive on how the world works.

8. Gus Keri, February 17, 2017 at 9:01 a.m.

Quarterback TD, "also no one really cares what is happening in Red Bulls"? I do. And so do many of the people who read SA.

9. Quarterback TD replied, February 17, 2017 at 9:15 a.m.

I give you another few years with that losing team before you change your mind.. never saw a bunch of losers who think they are the best but really aren't..

10. Gus Keri replied, February 17, 2017 at 10:11 a.m.

I wonder if you are a New York hater or simply a Red Bull hater. There are a lot of people like you all over the country and this will not change my mind about what team to follow or support. I have been a fan of the Red Bulls, and previously the Metrostars, since the inception of MLS. So, instead of writing hateful comments about other teams, try to say nice things about your favorite teams and leave other teams alone. And by the way, if you like European soccer so much, stop reading the "Soccer America Daily" and concentrate on "soccer World Daily." over there you will find an article about Ibrahimovic hat trick.

11. Quarterback TD replied, February 17, 2017 at 10:46 a.m.

Keri, I suggest you take your medication because there is no one like me in this country. I am born and bred in Brooklyn and live it everyday through work and play.. As far as Red Bulls they are garbage they sold out to Red Bulls just like their other half in Germany.. Don't worry about me switching over it will happen once my son is done with academy but for now you will have to put up..

12. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, February 17, 2017 at 11:14 a.m.

Your son likely won't make it if he's being guided by a clown like you. Maybe you're hurt he isn't good enough to make the RBNY academy. Don't worry, there are plenty of good rec leagues he can play in.

13. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, February 17, 2017 at 11:15 a.m.

Also, I don't think I've ever seen a less impressive hat trick. A massively deflected free kick that he shouldn't have received credit for. A tap in a five year old could score and a penalty. Wow, let's read a million articles about that!

14. Quarterback TD replied, February 17, 2017 at 11:23 a.m.

Fire, Soccer is his secondary sport and to be honest I don't mind sendin him to NYRB but his main sport takes up the time.. BTW if I am the clown why are you the season ticket holder with a losing team? Regardless go and get a life you sound like you on your period--

15. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, February 17, 2017 at 12:06 p.m.

Wow - imagine a poor kid growing up with a buffoon like you raising him. I feel bad for him. True, others have overcome bigger obstacles but it won't be easy for him. In any event, RBNY have 75 wins against just 47 losses and 45 draws since I've become a season ticket holder. If that's a "losing team" sign me up, especially since the Shield is a far better indicator of which team is best than the pointless MLS Cup playoff lottery. A team has to be good throughout a 34 game season to win a shield but can get hot for a couple of weeks and win MLS Cup. If you gave me a choice I'd prefer to win the Shield over the Cup every time.

16. Quarterback TD replied, February 17, 2017 at 12:35 p.m.

Fire, the only one that will talk about a kid is a low life like you. Luckily I can tell you are a real scumbag.. when I was in the military the soldier with the biggest mouth was always the one at the bottom of the pile so I am guessing that is you.. I know it's customary that you accepted yourself as a scumbag right scumbag ?

17. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, February 17, 2017 at 1:49 p.m.

Seems like you've got a pretty big mouth. And if you don't want your kids discussed, don't bring them up.

18. Gus Keri, February 17, 2017 at 10:17 a.m.

And by the way, before talking about soccer, try to adopt a soccer-related name in a soccer-related web site, Mr. Quarterback. Otherwise, people might think you are a soccer hater too. And there are a lot of "American Football" fans who hate soccer and are doing their best to undermine the growth of the sport in this country.

19. Quarterback TD replied, February 17, 2017 at 11:02 a.m.

Gus, you always group people into classes because of some traits or you you just a small minded individual ? I am a big NY Giants Fan and know a lot of other NFL fans and no one ever talks negatively about soccer as a matter of fact it's more respected than tackle football.. A lot of NFL fans kids actually play soccer.. The issue with soccer is people like you who want us to believe that Red Bull's is this great team that isn't.. unlike the J-E-T-S who give excuses for losing and always trying to pick up great players Red Bulls don't even give an excuse and think it's ok to continue losing.. And don't get it twisted NY Cosmos was admired and sold out more at Yankee stadiums than what the NFL teams were doing.. Cosmos was a true soccer team unlike Red Bulls..

20. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, February 17, 2017 at 11:17 a.m.

"Continue losing"? They've won the Supporters Shield twice in the last four years. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Red Bulls have a better record over the last 5 years than any team in MLS. Maybe you got too many concussions during your American football days.

21. Quarterback TD replied, February 17, 2017 at 11:47 a.m.

Fire, it seems you trying to justify a losing team--anyway have your fun-- If you are a true Red Bulls fan you should be putting pressure on them not me.. I am not the one who is happy about Shield trophies that are meaningless.. Red Bulls will never get a ticker tape parade down Canyon of Champions because of fans like you who accepts mediocracy and allow them to do what ever they want because you keep buying season tickets..

22. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, February 17, 2017 at 1:51 p.m.

Sounds like you're an angry Cosmos fan. Hey, do you think your team will still exist a year from now? Doubt it.

23. Gus Keri, February 17, 2017 at 3:36 p.m.

Quarterback, So you are telling me that you are NY Giants and NY Cosmos fan. I like that. I have been fan of the cosmos since Pele's days and I am looking forward to attending their games in Coney Island this spring. Now, I agree with you that not winning the MLS cup is puzzling for a team like the Red Bulls who had some of the best managers and superstars in the world over the years. I can't explain their failure. But this doesn't mean that they are not an exciting team to watch, especially in the last few years. their record recently speaks for itself. Do I condemn them to mediocrity based on their failure to win the cup? No. The MLS cup proved that it's a matter of luck and peaking at the right time more than any thing else. How many time the NY Giants failed in the playoff when they had some of the best regular seasons? How many time NY Giants win the Super Bowl when other teams had better regular season. This is not the only criteria you go buy. And please don't compare between the Cosmos of the past and any club in MLS today. the days of buying players like Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff and Best are over.