'Historic announcement' set at One World Trade Center

U.S. Soccer has announced plans for a press conference on Monday afternoon at New York's One World Trade Center, where the presidents of the U.S., Canadian and Mexican soccer federations will confirm they will submit a joint bid to host the 2026 World Cup.

U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati, Canadian Victor Montagliani, also the Concacaf president, and Mexican Decio De Maria will be on hand for the "historic announcement" at 2 p.m. ET.

Multi-nation bids have been green-lighted by new FIFA president Gianni Infantino as a way to generate more bidders capable of organizing a tournament that will be expanded from 32 to 48 teams and 64 to 80 games. There are only a handful of nations -- the USA among them -- that could organize an expanded World Cup on its own.

But World Cup bidding rules approved by the FIFA Council in October 2026 make it all but certain that the Concacaf bid will prevail. It agreed that UEFA and Asian confederation members could not bid again for the 2026 World Cup as Russia will host the 2018 World Cup and Qatar will organize the 2022 finals.

The only other country that has expressed interest in bidding is Morocco, which lost out to the USA for the hosting rights to the 1994 World Cup and also failed in its bid for the 1998, 2006 and 2010 finals.

FIFA has set a four-step process for the determination of the 2026 World Cup host:

-- Strategy and consultation phase (May 2016-May 2017);
-- Enhanced phases for bid preparation (June 2017-Dec. 2018);
-- Bid evaluation (Jan 2019-Feb. 2020);
-- Bid decision (May 2020).
18 comments about "'Historic announcement' set at One World Trade Center".
  1. Nick Daverese, April 10, 2017 at 6:20 a.m.

I still think that is a good move to really get games played here in the US. But I can not get myself to go to that building. My wife worked at the old World Trade Center when it was hit. I used to visit her and we would see free concerts in between the buildings together. I loved going their now I avoid the area. Want you to know she missed it because she did not arrive there at that time. She was on the way there when it got hit. Then was smart enough to just go back home. But it took her 6 hours to get home and all communication stopped working. So in my head I knew she missed it but not seeing her for all that time you question what you think you know.

2. Mo youknow, April 10, 2017 at 8:19 a.m.

This is the USSF being politically motivated. It sickens me. The US is perfectly capable of hosting a World Cup on it's own. The World Cup attendance records still belong to the '94 World Cup the US hosted by a long shot. Sports in the US used to be more neutral and place of escape from what divides us. This is the USSF being judgmental and holier than thou when Sunil Gulati's US experience is big liberal cities and universities. He has no idea about much of America and that our small towns were more tolerant and integrated decades ago than our rich "liberal" large city suburbs are today. My enthusiasm for US soccer wanes and wanes the more I see this. USSF is bringing the political partisan habits that infect and discredit soccer around the world to the US and they are too blind to see it.

3. :: SilverRey :: replied, April 10, 2017 at 10:04 a.m.

Yo Mo, think on a couple of things.

The majority of the games will still end up in the US. The final will still be in the US. With all of the added games this time around we'll still probably have 64 games in the US.

Here's a question for you. Would you rather have it be politically motivated or bribery motivated under the reign of Sepp Blatter? Make no mistake, FIFA is a political entity.

4. Nick Daverese, April 10, 2017 at 8:40 a.m.

Mo I am as conservative as they come. But I live in a liberal city NYC. Too much to do here to ever leave perminately. But I do get were your coming from. Our problem the last time we hosted we had to put sod over the artificial crap we had on our American football fields. Players got injured because the sod was loose. yes FIFA made a ton onpf money. No shortage of volunteers either. We had to promise to have a professional league here we did that. Yes too many teams in last time and even more this time. But if I am still breathering during that WC I would love to see it here in the states. I won't be going to Mexico or Canada either. So I would be going to anywhere in the US to see us play and to see any other good game. So my money stays here. I really believe we have no chance to get the WC unless we do it the way they want so let's get it.

5. Mo youknow, April 10, 2017 at 9:17 a.m.

Thanks Nick, you undoubtedly have the better outlook than I, but I did think my concerns were worth putting a voice to. I live is a large liberal city too but I come from small town America, a place for which I have great respect.

Soccer in much of the rest of the world is rife with partisanship, corruption, and violence. The more US soccer takes sides politically, the more I'm concerned those things will become a part of the sport here. More than one foreign player has said they love playing in MLS because our soccer environment is friendly and safe. I would like to see it remain that way and grow in that way.

6. Quarterback TD, April 10, 2017 at 9:28 a.m.

It's better than nothing.. What I don't like are three countries will automatically qualify instead of one. Regardless as long as they make it an event instead the boring showcase of 1994 it's fine. Also put the games in Giants Stadium and not that cesspool call Red Bulls stadium in Harrison..

7. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, April 10, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

I thought you pretend to be a RBNY fan and season ticket holder who spent $3000 on a season ticket even though none cost that much? Don't worry, it will be at the meadowlands because 25,000 is too small for a world cup game.

8. Quarterback TD replied, April 10, 2017 at 7:22 p.m.

I guess the drugs you are taking to make remember is still not wearing off-- My response explicitly said I paid $1025 a few years ago and the new price for front row seasonal renewal was $2000 which I refuse to buy.

9. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, April 11, 2017 at 1:35 p.m.

No you said it was $2000 several seasons ago. And even now, it isn't $2000 unless you buy club seats.

10. Ben Myers, April 10, 2017 at 9:40 a.m.

"historic announcement"??? Geez, this is simply another World Cup. Somebody is going to write April 10 into the history books? They should made the announcement 9 days ago. Gulati and friends are mixing up a hallucinogenic batch of their own kool-aid.

I would agree that the US could host a World Cup all on its own, except that too many matches would be played on narrow stinking American football fields.

11. Nalin Carney, April 10, 2017 at 10:42 a.m.

I'm all for the the world cup bid ..... but I think expanding the competition to 48 teams will deplete the competition and attendence will decline at the venues of weaker teams.

12. Gary Young, April 10, 2017 at 12:05 p.m.

We dont deserve it because of our treatment of American Indians at Standing Rock and the way we poisoned our children in Flint.

13. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, April 10, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

Lolzzzz.....

14. Nick Daverese, April 10, 2017 at 2:48 p.m.

When the metro stars played a night game at giant stadium. It would end before racing ended at the track. Then I would walk to the track to catch the last three races. I was lucky with love and good in soccer, but terrible with horse's. I lost thousands at that track after Metrostar games.

15. Nick Daverese, April 11, 2017 at 4:34 p.m.

Gary are they still drinking bottled water in flint or are they trying to clean that up? You don't hear anything about it now.if they aren't you would hear the press complaining about it I am pretty sure of that.

16. Gary Young replied, April 11, 2017 at 5:30 p.m.

Just like you hear the press talk about Standing Rock right? Come on man. You still believe in that BS about media being controlled by the lwft or the right?

17. Nick Daverese, April 12, 2017 at 1:53 a.m.

Yes, I do I also had plenty of instances when the press just lied about people I actually knew after they died. They got it right about one guy I knew he was a freaking dog Michael Meldish look him up.

18. Gary Young replied, April 14, 2017 at 10:53 a.m.

Its controlled by the guys that control both sides and therefore us as well as they have us mindlessly picking one side thinking the other side is that much worse.