The Mexican sports daily Record offered the headline: "Mexico could get
crumbs." ESPN commentator Leon Lecanda tweeted that Mexico should pull out of the bidding to preserve its dignity and getting
just 10 games and none after the round of 16 was "ridiculous." Fox Sports Mexico's Andre Marin termed the 60/10/10
split a "joke."
Mexico is one of the strongest soccer markets in the world. Liga MX averaged 26,600 fans a game for the Torneo Apertura, ranking fourth in the world behind only Germany's Bundesliga, England's Premier League and Spain's La Liga.
Just last year, on the eve of the FIFA Congress in Mexico City, all the talk in the Mexican media was how Mexico alone could host the 2026 World Cup with reports detailing all the stadiums Mexico could use.
TV Azteca's Gerardo Velazquez said getting 10 games was an embarrassment for Mexico. "It is something that only demonstrates the power [U.S. Soccer president] Sunil Gulati has in the region," he added, "and that the real giant in Concacaf is the United States and not Mexico."
That was pretty much the view of Mexican federation president Decio de Maria.
"The United States doesn't need us to host a World Cup," he told Televisa. "That is the message. On Day 1, we didn't have a single game. Today, [we have] 10."
Di Maria tried to put a positive spin on things after Monday's announcement in New York.
“Yes, it’s going to be 10 games in Mexico," he added, "but also games in Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Chicago and Phoenix. For us, it’s home.”