What They're Saying: Ray Hudson

“Sitting in the studio, looking at a cold television set with a pair of headphones on, you have to have a serious link and love to the game for the emotion and the descriptions to come out and not just be a par-for-the-course type effort. The game demands it. The people deserve it.”

-- BeIN Sports commentator Ray Hudson, who says calling matches on-location brings an element of heightened excitement but he is completely fine with calling them from a studio. (Awful Announcing)
13 comments about "What They're Saying: Ray Hudson".
  1. Quarterback TD, May 3, 2017 at 9:05 a.m.

BeIN commentators are some of the most illiterate and stupid verbal people on the planet. First off his tone is annoying, secondly he uses simile in some of the worst context and thirdly he is one of the most bias assholes I have ever heard on sports. I literally stop watching BeIN because of them. I guess it's reality TV so every dumb fool has a voice. I will stick to the English Premier League where commentary is best.

2. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 3, 2017 at 2:05 p.m.

Yeah makes sense, why watch the best teams in the world when the commentator is annoying? Does your TV have a mute button?

3. Quarterback TD replied, May 3, 2017 at 2:43 p.m.

I am-- I am in the process of removing BeIN sports from my subscription. Now if only I can mute other form of noise and garbage from this forum it would make my day.

4. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 3, 2017 at 4:59 p.m.

We all look forward to you muting yourself if the US U-20s don't win the world cup. I still hope they win it but your departure from these boards will make for a nice consolation prize for all of us if they don't.

5. Wooden Ships, May 3, 2017 at 9:36 a.m.

I don't receive BeIN, nor do I listen intently to broadcasters necessarily. Sort of in one ear and out the other. However, if networks are covering a match, ideally, they would have the budget and personnel to have their team at the venue.

6. K Michael, May 3, 2017 at 10:57 a.m.

Hudson/Schein are the absolute tops at what they do, particularly Ray; his enthusiasm is infectious; the way he describes the play is passionate and unique and is to be commended. Also don't forget that Phil Schein called the very first goal in MLS history. And they've never put me to sleep, unlike that mumbling monotone Martin Tyler. I also truly appreciate his taking the time to credit the player that springs the attack that leads to the pass that creates the goal. Most of the other States-based announcers say the obvious and dwell on a tap-in goal and completely ignore (or are oblivious) to the build up that led to it. Bravo Ray! Keep it up!

7. K Michael, May 3, 2017 at 11:04 a.m.

...Plus he has brought "magisterial" and "he runs like he has a lobster in his shorts" to the forefront of the soccer lexicon, so there's that! My son and I are watching Liverpool/Watford and the "magisterial," "imperious" goal by Emre Can and my son looks over and says, "Dad, I wish Ray Hudson was calling that goal, that would be so cool!"

8. frank schoon replied, May 3, 2017 at 5:26 p.m.

I agree K, Ray has a great personality. He used hang out in Reston when he coached DC United. As a former player in England, he brings also a comedic side with him , which is sorely needed when you compare him with the American commentators who actually say nothing but actually think they are saying something.

9. Nick Daverese, May 3, 2017 at 9:27 p.m.

They have been doing that a long time in big tv games. They talk about the game from a tv location. They don't actually go to Europe where the games are played to comment on the games.. There very few announcers that I enjoy listening to even former players because the net work insists they dumb down the game to attract new listeners. When that happens I turn the sound off and watch the game while listening to Doors CDs.

10. Rusty Welch, May 4, 2017 at 11:58 a.m.

"It's like playing poker with a witch - you know you're going to lose..."

"Braver than a matador in a pink tutu he was."

"The head’s up; the neck’s twisting like Linda Blair in The Exorcist. Wonderfully hit."

"Mop-up work from automaton, Iniesta. The illusionista just pops up like a ghost out of the fog."

“He could make an onion cry.”

"Where the insane becomes the routine with this man. He is nothing less than a ball whisperer."

"Again the groundsman has to be blamed for painting the damned crossbar before the game, because a lick of paint denies a wonderful goal by the Argentina man."

If you listen to what Ray Hudson says, it's lyrical poetic prose - his enthusiasm for the game is infectious, and I can no longer fast-forward slow parts of games he calls. If you don't like it, mute it, but it is 1,000% refreshing and invigorating to find a commentator that brings that kind of joy to the game, rather than the dullard mundane-ness of so many others.

11. K Michael, May 4, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.

Rusty,
    Well said, sir1

12. Craig Cummings, May 5, 2017 at 12:13 a.m.

I love Ray and Phil they are my two top guys . For as long as I have had BeIn5port.I also like FOX guys and ESPN guys, but Phil has allways been the best.

13. Craig Cummings, May 5, 2017 at 12:22 a.m.

I need to say that Ray is just a hut. Funny guy.