What They're Saying: Dirk Kuyt

“I know for sure that due to artificial pitches Dutch football will fall further behind.”

-- Feyenoord's Dirk Kuyt, joining captains of 11 other Dutch Eredivisie teams and the Dutch soccer players union seeking a ban on artificial turf. Six of the 18-team Eredivisie teams played on artificial surfaces in 2016-17. (AP)
9 comments about "What They're Saying: Dirk Kuyt".
  1. Wooden Ships, May 19, 2017 at 8:39 a.m.

Good for Dirk. Turf is the lazy route

2. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 19, 2017 at 1:15 p.m.

Ha, I was thinking that all along "wooden ships" has actually been Dirk Kuyt in disguise.

3. Quarterback TD, May 19, 2017 at 11:37 a.m.

What exactly is wrong with today's artificial turf ? Today turf is scientifically model to simulate a grass field so what's wrong ?

4. frank schoon, May 19, 2017 at 12:21 p.m.

Td, you should talk to Dutch players about what they think of Artificial turf. As far as I'm concerned they should ban it. Playing on turf and on grass is a world of difference..

5. Quarterback TD replied, May 19, 2017 at 12:47 p.m.

Even Scotland is going to start using it and they have 1 of the FIFA votes for making changes so hopefully it's approved. The mechanics of maintaining grass is extremely extensive and expensive and artificial turf can be customized so it's no different than grass. We cannot continue to live in a bubble.

6. frank schoon, May 19, 2017 at 12:57 p.m.

TD, it wouldn't matter in Scotland for they haven't played decent soccer in decades if you can call it that. That country since the 70's has gone down the deep in soccer.
    Living in a bubble, my friend, has nothing to do it. Unless Artificial turf is exactly like grass then forget.

7. frank schoon, May 19, 2017 at 1:09 p.m.

TIP 11. A SQUARE PASS FORCES THE RECEIVER TO LOSE FIELD VIEW FOR MOMENT.

8. frank schoon, May 19, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.

TIP 12. WHEN YOU TAKE ON AND GO BY A CENTRAL DEFENDER NEAR THE PENALTY AREA THEN GO PAST HIS WEAK SIDE, WHICH IS IN MOST CASES THE DEFENDER'S LEFT SIDE. WHEN HE TURNS TO HIS LEFT AND FOLLOWS YOU HE WON'T BE ABLE TO TACKLE WITH HIS RIGHT LEG AND IF HE DOES IT OFTEN RESULTS IN A PENALTY

9. Nick Daverese replied, May 20, 2017 at 5:46 p.m.

Artificial turf was invented by Sid Gilman's brother I forget his first name. For those who don't know Sid was the coach of the old San Diego Charges of the old AFL American Football League. He got in touch and tried to sell it to my club. Now a lot of people on our club owned their own business. Some were land scapers gardening. So it did not cost us a lot of money to re sod a field. But when I guy tells you we can play 5 games a day 7 days a week for 20 years and it plays like grass. I looked into it. They just did metropolitan oval with it. Now for years I played on that field it did not have grass on it for decades. You played on dirt when it rained it flooded. Hard to play on a flooded field. Let the ball bounce it does not bounce the ball floats on the water. So I check it out I liked it. I was thinking of redoing our field. But the cost to do a field was crazy high. So we passed. He did well selling it. So much so Nike bought it they used recycled sneakers in their fields. Now there are many manufactures that do these fields at lower costs. So a lot of public parks use it. My own public park as a kid put one in. Later they found so much lead in the park. They closed it down for years. I think their is a problem because so many manufactures make this stuff now. So buy it at your own risk.