Under-20 World Cup: A U.S. tie that feels like a win

Outplayed for much of the game and twice on the verge of collapse, the USA came back from 2-0 down after seven minutes then 3-2 to tie Ecuador 3-3 on a goal scored by Luca de la Torre in the final minute of stoppage time in their opening game at the Under-20 World Cup. The other two goals were scored by 17-year-old Josh Sargent.

Stats:
USA / ECUADOR
Possession: 61% / 39%.
Shots: 6 / 12.
Saves: 2 / 2.
Fouls: 12 / 11.

The USA's plan was to press the opposition, but it was Ecuador that took advantage of the shaky U.S. defense and turnovers to overrun the USA for two rapid-fire goals. Keeper Jonathan Klinsmann and the right side of the U.S. backline -- Aaron Herrera and Tommy Redding -- were exposed on both goals.

Washington Corozo broke free down the left wing past Herrera and sent Redding tumbling to the ground before Klinsmann took him out. But the ball had already been played to Herlin Lino, who scored to give Ecuador the lead in the fifth minute.

Two minutes later, first Herrera and then Redding were outmuscled before Bryan Cabezas, who debuted for Ecuador's senior national team in February, beat Klinsmann with an angled shot.

The game changed in the USA's favor, ironically, on a non-contact injury to Gedion Zelalem that forced him to leave the game in the 34th minute in favor of Derrick Jones. Zelalem had been stranded in the role of a deep-lying playmaker and did little to contain the Ecuador attacks.

Despite the miserable start, the USA got back in the game thanks to the 6-foot-3 Jones, recently cleared by FIFA to represent the USA, and Sargent, the youngest U.S. player at the U-20 World Cup since 16-year-old Freddy Adu in 2005 but always menacing up front.

In the 36th minute, Jones won a ball in midfield and fed de la Torre, who broke through the Ecuador defense and found Sargent free on the right side for the first U.S. goal. The USA started the second half confidently and was rewarded on a play that Jones again started. He played the ball forward to Tyler Adams, who laid it off to Brooks Lennon, who launched a pinpoint cross for Sargent to head down and across the goal area into the net.

Klinsmann atoned for his bad start with two big saves early in the second half but then made a horrible mistake, trying to dribble out of trouble on a ball played back to him by Herrera. His first touch with OK, but he then lost control of the ball with his second touch, playing it straight to Cabezas, who beat him from the top of the area in the 64th minute.

The goal deflated the young Americans, who struggled to create any attack until the last minute of stoppage time. Herrera won a ball on the right side and played it to Lennon, who whipped in another dangerous cross that the Ecuador could only clear into the path of the charging de la Torre, who fired it inside the near post for the equalizer.

The U.S. players and their coach, Tab Ramos, celebrated the third goal in the fourth minute of stoppage time like it was a winner.

NOTABLE. The USA started three college players -- Klinsmann (Cal), Herrera (New Mexico) and Eryk Williamson (Maryland). Two years ago, Ramos played no collegians.

May 22 in Incheon
USA 3 Ecuador 3. Goal: Sargent 36, 54, de la Torre 90+4; Lino 5, Cabezas 7, 64.
USA -- Klinsmann, Acosta, Redding, Palmer-Brown, Herrera; Williamson (Kunga 72), Adams (Saucedo 86), Zelalem (Jones 34), De la Torre; Lennon, Sargent.
Ecuador -- Cevallos, Minda, Estupinan, Corozo (Caicedo 77), Ayovi (Rojas 57), Lino, Cabezas (Jaramillo 89), Sierra, Quinonez, Torres, Segovia.
Yellow Cards: USA -- Jones 80; Ecuador -- Corozo 74.
Att.: 3,886.

78 comments about "Under-20 World Cup: A U.S. tie that feels like a win".
  1. Richard T. Lynch, May 22, 2017 at 7:47 a.m.

C'mon, SA, please don't reveal the outcome in the headline for those of us who don't stay up or get up at 4am DST to watch the game. Got it dvr'd and planning to watch it later today. So much for suspense.

2. David Mont replied, May 22, 2017 at 8:28 a.m.

Well, in defence of SA, the are a news organization and can't cater just to the needs of those who DVR. I, by the way, did the exact same thing and watched the game when I got up this morning around 6am. And only after I watched it, I opened this page.

3. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 8:40 a.m.

Richard,Here is a big tip for you, DON'T READ SA RIGHT BEFORE YOU'RE ABOUT WATCH IT ON DVR, AND ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW THE RESULTS AHEAD OF TIME!!!

4. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 22, 2017 at 9:46 a.m.

So you are trying to avoid finding out the score but you come on a site that is 100% certain to have an article about the game?

5. Dan Eckert, May 22, 2017 at 8:13 a.m.

@Richard - you are SO RIGHT!

Basically - during a tournament that I'm watching - I don't read the news or watch TV - as they are always showing scores. Don't they know everything is recorded - and maybe we want to watch it like it was live? Yesterday was the last day of the EPL and all the teams were playing at the same time - so for some reason all the broadcasters that it was important that I keep up to date on each of the games. GREAT - and THANK you NBC - i went from having 5-6 games I could have watched - to just watching the game I watched live - and deleting the rest.

Boooooooooooo.

6. Quarterback TD, May 22, 2017 at 8:31 a.m.

You will hear about this one way or another so stop crying. We are going all the way with this U20 World Cup Tournament.

7. Ginger Peeler replied, May 22, 2017 at 3:54 p.m.

Who are you and what did you do with our USA soccer hating token complainer of all things American soccer? Welcome to the fold of fans for (some) US soccer teams.

8. don Lamb replied, May 22, 2017 at 4:04 p.m.

He's our biggest cheerleader, Ginger.

9. Quarterback TD replied, May 22, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.

Ginger, are you another wannabe soccer person know it all with absolute zero soccer diplomacy and knowledge ? Then there is a spot open for you with Fire and Don..

10. Ginger Peeler replied, May 22, 2017 at 9:22 p.m.

Wow! A super harsh reaction to gentle teasing which would have most friends grinning and laughing. But you took it as an attack! That's not the way I meant it, but your anger seems to override the way most people would receive what I said. Sorry you took it so negatively. Surely you have friends who joke around with you?! I meant no disrespect although I see you've already added me to your "demean and attack" list. You prefer to slap away the hand of friendship offered to you. Of course, that's your choice and I will respect it.

11. Quarterback TD replied, May 22, 2017 at 9:53 p.m.

Ginger, with people always attacking, demeaning and asserting control on this site one always has to be defensive and unforgiving. Usually I can read people from 10 miles away I guess you were 11.

12. Ginger Peeler replied, May 22, 2017 at 11:56 p.m.

I'm not sure what you meant. But let me give you my background. I first became aware of soccer while in PE in junior high in the 1950s. The goal was anyplace between the goalposts on a football field. We wore tennis shoes ( no cleats). I discovered the importance of making sure my shoelaces were tied as a forward, as I Icharged down the field, toward goal and tripped on my unraveling shoelace. I sailed up, up into the air and landed flat on my back. I had the wind knocked totally out of me. Talk about panic! Years later, when my daughter played, there was a procedure to follow that our kids were taught. I'm not sure anything can equate to being unable to breathe and knowing that you must be dying.

13. Ginger Peeler replied, May 23, 2017 at 12:14 a.m.

When my daughter began playing in kindergarten, I volunteered as a registrar for our local recreational soccer association. And I was a registrar for several seasons until she qualified for the girls' traveling team. Then I became registrar for all of the traveling teams In our association. When she first played, they put her in goal and she spent her time picking dandelions as the other teams shot on goal. Then she attended a summer camp put on by the San Diego Sockers. All of a sudden, I had a daughter comfortable dribbling and shooting with both her left foot and her right foot. She was unbelievable! She was also one of the 2 shortest girls on the team. She stayed the shortest after we moved to Arkansas, where the local sports editor of the local paper refused to cover the "communist sport" of soccer.

14. Ginger Peeler replied, May 23, 2017 at 12:31 a.m.

She was the first girl from the star of Arkansas to receive a scholarship (partial) to play the game of soccer. You have to understand, we moved from San Diego, a soccer hotbed, to Arkansas where there were no other U-14 girls' teams. We played boys teams the first year, then spent 1-1/2 hours each way, driving to Tulsa, Oklahoma as part of a girls' league. My daughter was the first female player from the state of Arkansas to receive an out of state scholarship. And none of the local papers cared. She played NAIA in college until getting sandwiched against hard dirt with two opposing players on top of her. It was in her senior year. She never played again. She's almost 40 now, and her back still hurts her. I don't think the US invented the game of soccer and I admire everybody who plays the sport. I also love the game and really enjoy games like our Ecuador vs USA game. The come-from-behind effort was great to watch. We may not have played up to some folk's expectations, but it was a tremendous, rewarding effort!

15. Quarterback TD replied, May 23, 2017 at 8:21 a.m.

Ginger, it's always good to hear these historical stories it puts things in perspective.

16. Bob Ashpole, May 22, 2017 at 9:48 a.m.

It was an interesting match. From a development perspective this tie was probably more instructive than the CONCACAF qualifier wins. Of course winning is more desirable, but Tab can build on this performance.

17. Edgar Soudek, May 22, 2017 at 10:17 a.m.

The sad thing is that poor Klinsmann Jr.
    is just as inept as a goalie as was his father as coach of the MNT...
    There are MANY young keepers far better
    than Klinsmann Jr., as the poor boy and his arrogant dad surely must know....

18. Quarterback TD replied, May 22, 2017 at 11 a.m.

Hahaha!!! You are 100% right--

19. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 11:40 a.m.

Guys , there is no need to bad mouth Klinsman or his son. Let just keep to the game at hand. The kid made a stupid mistake which I've seen done in the top levels of soccer as well.

20. Mo youknow replied, May 22, 2017 at 11:46 a.m.

Any goalie without a famous last name would never see the field again for the US after a World Cup performance like that.

21. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at 11:53 a.m.

As for mistakes by young keepers, it is more appropriate to view them as learning opportunities rather than dwell on them as mistakes.

22. Edgar Soudek replied, May 22, 2017 at 1:22 p.m.

ONE mistake is excusable, two not so much, but mistakes on all three goals
    (the US right-side defender didn't help either - he was twice overrun looking slower than a snail) should entail consequences...maybe his dad needs help cutting the grass?

23. Scott Johnson replied, May 22, 2017 at 2:38 p.m.

Interesting questions: a) Is the younger Klinsmann receiving preferential treatment over other US keeper candidates, on account of his father? b) Is he being subject to harsher criticism and scrutiny, for the same reason?

24. Ginger Peeler replied, May 22, 2017 at 3:57 p.m.

Oh! There you are!

25. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 10:22 a.m.

I missed it, my recorder flubbed up. But I'll tell you what, I'm so impressed with Argentina and their style of play. They lost 0-3 against England but how Argentina, even forgetting their domination of play, their technical ability and play was superb. Just the way they passed the ball with their instep, hard and fast, and ACCURATE, where everybody else,so far I've seen, use their inside of the foot for medium range passes. All their passes were placed ahead of the receiver coming on the run ,to the proper foot, with the EXACT SPEED, without the receiver having to adjust his run or tempo upon receiving the ball facing downfield was just phenomenal. I couldn't believe it. I sat there and just turned the volume up and listened to the sound of the ball the Argentinian players made upon passing. It was perfection. In reminds of my practices where I would never look at the technical part of how my players pass the ball back and forth to see if they are executing the pass properly,for you really don't need to if you know the sound. The sound gives the player away if he doesn't pass the ball properly. Cruyff had such a great ear that he could listen to how someone dribbles to hear if he doing it right. Whether Argentina wins the rest of their games or not , it wouldn't matter to me ,for they are a joy to watch and listen . My hat goes off to their technical developers or rather to those who developed these players. I would like to have the USSF hire those who developed these young Argentinan players, technical and tactically, and get rid of these ding dongs we have here teaching and coaching at these soccer academies here, for they NEANDERTHALS, as compared to their Argentinians colleagues

26. David Mont replied, May 22, 2017 at 11:03 a.m.

frank, Argentina lost 0:3, right?

27. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 11:22 a.m.

DAVID, Obviously you don't understand what the purpose of this world cup and what the implications are. Obviously the less educated ones see only the score but the real insiders of the game are not looking at the score but those individuals who display "footballing" talent and can be bought by bigger teams.

28. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 22, 2017 at 11:39 a.m.

Typical Frank response - if you disagree you are a dolt who doesn't understand the game as well as this genius. Next, he'll say you are too dumb so he won't discuss soccer with you. This way he doesn't have to deal with your arguments.

29. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at noon

Frank, you cannot expect people who think their kid's youth match results are important to understand your point about the youth world cup competitions. Some people only love winning, not competing.

30. don Lamb replied, May 22, 2017 at 12:32 p.m.

Yet, you, Kumar, keep on talking about how when these US players (and the 17s) flame out of this World Cup with poor results, it will show that they are really not that good.

31. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 12:33 p.m.

BOB, added to that 'development". This is one of the problems in US soccer there is a large element who see "winning" is more important...And they are usually the same ones who brings horns and tooters to the games and blast your eardrums out, LOL

32. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 22, 2017 at 1:41 p.m.

Actually I don't think Bob was responding to my comment but Bob can let us know.

33. don Lamb replied, May 22, 2017 at 2:15 p.m.

Playing a 433 with possession through the midfield makes it hard to evaluate players? I didn't find it difficult at all. There are some caveats at times due to the competition level not being the best in the world, but it's easy enough to find players that stand out and have loads of potential.

34. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at 5:15 p.m.

I was commenting about Frank's reply to David Mont, although it was a general statement. If someone is not an athlete and doesn't love playing competitive sports, they cannot appreciate what they have missed--the joy of playing. They just cannot understand that how you play matters more than the result. A single beautiful touch can literally lift a team up or demoralize an opponent. In some cultures the crowds will scream for a beautiful touch for its own merit. Those moments are not reflected in a score line. You don't have to be Dutch or a professional athlete to love playing soccer, but you do have to have played to have experienced it.

35. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 22, 2017 at 6:44 p.m.

Maybe in a pickup game but at the highest level results are what matter. I agree that might not be the case for the U20 world cup but we are still talking about developing players. But I'd rather win the world cup than play on a team that was attractive to watch but didn't win, like '74 Holland or '82 Brazil. Ultimately the goal of playing the game (and developing players) is to win. At some point it has to be.

36. Quarterback TD replied, May 22, 2017 at 9:49 p.m.

Fire, you the very first person since human civilization to say the 82 Brazilian was not watchable because they did not win-- thar game is rated top 5 and the Bad strategy cost Brazil the game as They kept attacking after they had the game won. Maybe you need to check YouTube and see the number of hits that game gets..

37. don Lamb replied, May 22, 2017 at 9:58 p.m.

Another reading comprehension fail by the likes of Kumar and QB. Fire didn't say that the 82 Brazil team was unwatchable. He said that he would rather be on a team that won than a team that lost with style. As for Kumar's glorification of street basketball players, keep in mind that he is referencing some romantic mythical players who we have never heard of or seen and who are making zero dollars playing the game because they are not actually good enough to play at the highest level despite all of their "flair." Creativity is important for most players, but there is no such thing as a professional who is not great in the fundamentals of the game first.

38. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 23, 2017 at 10:24 a.m.

Thanks Don. I can't tell whether QTD is a troll or too dumb to understand basic thoughts or concepts. The 82 Brazil team was amazing to watch but ultimately their lack of any discipline or common sense regarding tactics cost them. They only needed a draw against Italy to reach the SFs and even at 2-2 they still kept attacking which results in Italy getting a third and eliminating them. Also, funny how Kumar says flair sells tickets, not winning but then mentions Curry, LeBron and Jordan who have a combined 10 championships between them (and counting).

39. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 10:34 a.m.

TIP 17. IF YOUR OPPONENT HAS TALL ATTACKERS/MIDFIELDERS AROUND MIDFIELD THEN MAKE SURE YOU HARASS THEIR GOALIE WHEN HE TRIES KICKING THE BALL OUT OF HIS HANDS UPFIELD. IN OTHER WORDS DON'T LET HIM REACH THE END OF THE PENALTY BOX BEFORE HE KICKS FOR THE FURTHER YOU ALLOW TO MOVE UP THE MORE YARDAGE DOWNFIELD HE WILL WIN ON HIS KICK. NOT ONLY THE TALL PLAYERS WILL ALSO BECOME THE EXTENSION OF HIS KICKS FURTHER DOWNFIELD.

40. Quarterback TD replied, May 22, 2017 at 2:52 p.m.

Frank, Tips are excellent please continue.. folks like Frank/Don and company have nothing but gibberish to text..

41. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 22, 2017 at 2:58 p.m.

Of course if I said I loved reading these tips QTD would be complaining about them.

42. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.

TD, Thanks, there is so much I have collected over the last 30years through my own experience and what the 'greats' along what Cruyff have stated about soccer that I want to give out to you guys, information that will never be seen in books or learned from a coaching course. What I'm giving here are the real inside 'details' of the game, that I wish color announcers would talk about or mention on TV, which I think is a shame for the viewer could learn the game better, but they are just are not familiar with this stuff. If I were you ,I wouldn't even waste your time on this useless duo.

43. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 10:41 a.m.

TIP 18. THE SLOWER THE PASS YOU GIVE, IN EFFECT THE TIGHTER YOUR TEAMMATE IS GUARDED FOR IT ALLOWS MORE TIME TO THE OPPONENT. THE FASTER THE PASS THE LESS TIME THE OPPONENT HAS TO ADJUST.

44. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 10:43 a.m.

TIP 19. WHEN PLAYING ON A RUDDY FIELD MAKE SURE YOU PASS THE BALL HARD. A SLOW
    PASS ON A RUDDY FIELD MAKES THE BALL TAKE ALL BOUNCES OF THE FIELD ,
    MAKING IT MORE DIFFICULT FOR THE RECEIVER TO CONTROL THE BALL

45. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 10:53 a.m.

TIP 20. WHEN BUILDING UP AN ATTACK FROM THE BACK, THE GOALIE SHOULD NOT INITIATE HIS FIRST PASS TO THE BACK LINE, FOR THE BACKLINE ARE NOT ONLY THE LEAST TECHNICAL PLAYERS ON THE TEAM (FOR THEY ARE SIMPLY DEFENDERS) BUT ALSO ALSO THE BACKLINE HAS NO BACK SUPPORT UNLIKE THE MIDFIELDERS OR ATTACKERS IF THEY MAKE A MISTAKE AND LOSE THE BALL.

46. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 10:57 a.m.

TIP 21. ON BUILD UP OF ATTACK FROM THE BACK, DON'T ALLOW THE GOALIE TO THROW THE BALL TO THE EITHER OF THE OUTSIDE BACKS. THE REASON IS THAT BY THROWING TO ONE OF THE BACKS YOU REDUCE YOUR PASSING OPTIONS GOING FORWARDS FOR THE OTHER FLANK IS OUT OF THE PLAY, THUS LEAVING YOUR TEAM UNFORTUNATELY IN A 7V10 SITUATION.

47. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 11:06 a.m.

TIP 22.SOMETIMES PASSING THE BALL AROUND MIDFIELD, IS DONE IN ORDER FOR THE TEAM (MIDFIELDERS/ FRONT LINE) TO CATCH THEIR BREATH, FOR THEIR NEXT ASSAULT.

48. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 11:12 a.m.

TIP 23. IF YOU'RE GOING TO PASS THE BALL AROUND DON'T USE MIDFIELDERS AND DEFENDERS, BUT ATTACKERS AND MIDFIELDERS. ONE, EMPLOYING THE FORMER YOU'RE ASKING FOR TROUBLE FOR YOU ARE NOT ONLY INVITING THE OPPONENT CLOSER TO YOUR OWN GOAL BUT ALSO THE DEFENDERS ARE THE LEAST TECHNICAL PLAYERS AND HAVE NO BACK SUPPORT IN CASE OF A BAD PASS MADE. IN THE LATTER YOU HAVE THE BETTER TECHNICAL PLAYERS ,BACK SUPPORT AND YOU'RE FURTHER FROM YOUR OWN GOAL...

49. don Lamb replied, May 22, 2017 at 12:36 p.m.

better solution: find (or teach) defenders who are good with the ball. it's almost impossible to create a numerical advantage if you defenders are never on the ball. can you find a more appropriate place for these random "tips"?

50. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at 6:26 p.m.

Don this point is not a reflection of poor skills in the back line. It is a reflection of the principles of the classic Dutch style of play. All field players are expected to have good skills. This is about where on the field you want the possession to occur. Answer: in the opponent's half and better yet in the attacking third. There the team is well placed to attack and well placed to defend if possession is lost. Time and time again teams that pass around the back line end up stretched out instead of compact and make long passes that are either lost or else result in the first attacker being in an isolated position.

51. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 6:38 p.m.

BoB, thank you for clearing it up. Your point is well made that it is much safer to pass the ball around further from your goal. So you would rather do it in your own third close to your own goal or around midfield which is further away from your goal. Point two is that midfield players and front players are much better ball handlers than defenders, that is just the nature of the animal and therefore you want those who are better at handling the ball,which are not DEFENDERS!

52. don Lamb replied, May 22, 2017 at 6:43 p.m.

On the contrary, frank, the teams that master the possession phase of the game are able to get their defensive players forward by using them to progress the ball up the field in a methodical way that does not sacrifice the balance. If they do lose the ball, they should be in good position to pressure it immediatlye. It's impossible to do that without using the defenders in the buildup and allowing freedom of movement to creative situations of numerical superiority higher up the field.

53. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at 7:07 p.m.

Don in my experience I associate your comments with a 442 where it takes time to shift from an attacking shape to a defensive shape (primarily the wait is for the flank players to move up). In a 433 the team already has width in the attack due to the 3 forwards and everyone has a similar distance to cover, unlike the 442 with winghalfs having to start their runs much deeper than wingers. In a 433 you want to get the ball to the forward line early before the opponent has recovered its shape. I realize what you say is consistent with current USSF doctrine, but there is sound tactical reasons for not wanting the ball passed back and forth from FB to FB along the back line. Which is what happens all the time with teams trying to "build from the back." They end up passing to a midfielder facing the wrong way and don't penetrate. Worse this predictable back and forth passing is reinforced by some coaches with pattern passing drills.

54. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at 7:18 p.m.

Since the article is about the U20 team, I will add that Ramos has the team playing with an emphasis on good positioning, quick play and penetration. Refreshing. Typically the first or second pass was to someone in the front two lines.

55. don Lamb replied, May 22, 2017 at 7:51 p.m.

Not true, Bob. The 442 is perfect for counter attacking because there are two forwards and outside midfielders in positions to get forward quickly. In a 433, the center of the park is the strength, and the width must come from outside backs. There is only one central forward, which means that he is only available to hold the ball up on the counter more often than not.

56. Bob Ashpole replied, May 23, 2017 at 2:31 p.m.

Don as I said, "in my experience." Maybe your experience is different. I played both winghalf and winger in many adult games. In a 442, the winghalf was expected to defend in front of the FB in two lines of 4. Especially for the left side, and I often played on the left, you end up having to make very long runs as a wing half compared to the winger. I really hated playing 442 with recreational players because invariably they did not support and I ended up contesting the flank 1 vs. 2 the whole match, each opponent only playing one way. Apparently in your view wing halfs don't have to defend the flank in tandem with the FB, especially when the opposing FB pushes high. The modern game is all about forcing the opponent's flank players to defend deep into their own end. Has been for decades.

57. frank schoon replied, May 23, 2017 at 3:09 p.m.

Bob ,exactly, that is why Cruyff prefers to play 4-3-3. There is less running in the 433 because you let the ball do the running and the players only have to move off the ball. The most one has to run in a 433 if played correct is 10 yards or less because of the number of lines one can create. Fast ball movement is much faster than running for you can't outrun the ball. As he stated the 442 system is made for stupid players who don't need to think but can run. It is worthless system to be played by less bright ones. Technically, the 442 system has killed the winger play and as a crosses from the flanks have been terrible. 442 is also more of defensive system...

58. Albert Harris, May 22, 2017 at 12:09 p.m.

Tip 24: Turn off your capslock!

59. don Lamb replied, May 22, 2017 at 12:33 p.m.

And stop spamming the board with random tidbits.

60. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 12:35 p.m.

ALBERT, I WOULD SAY WEAR SOME EARPLUGS!!!

61. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, May 22, 2017 at 1:41 p.m.

I came back to this article after a few hours and see lots of new comments but then I scroll down and it's just random "tips" in caps lock.

62. Ginger Peeler, May 22, 2017 at 3:49 p.m.

Frank, please stop yelling. We understand that you worship at the altar of Johann Cryuff. Anybody can see that. And everybody who has ever played in competitive soccer (boys and girls) in the last 20 some years has been taught those incredible moves that Cryuff originated. Given: Cryuff is awesome. But, apparently, the Netherlands national team no longer longer bows to the Cryuff alter. So, why should the United States? No disrespect intended, but the Netherlands didn't qualify for this FIFA U-20 World Cup, so why should we ( the USA) care? If it's no longer working for the Netherlands, there's no way it will work for the USA.

63. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 5:01 p.m.

Ginger, I think you missed the whole goings on about Cruyff and the Dutch for almost the past 30 years and therefore I don't expect you to know all that went on. He predicted that what is happening today to Dutch soccer back in the early 90's . I still have the interview where he stated his warnings. He came to this conclusion by looking how the youth were being developed and trained at Ajax ,which at that time was world renown. He stated it was lousy ,they laughed at him and couldn't believe it ,since after all Ajax just won the European.
    Cup in "95.
    What happened to the Dutch was they did not follow diligently the basics of what made dutch soccer world renown through Rinus Michels and Johan Cruyff. Other countries like Germany, and Spain and Barcelona began to base their game according to Johan Cruyff's philosophy of the game. That is German National team, Bayern, the Spanish National, Barcelona , all of them
    becoming world famous for their soccer, because they followed Johan Cruyff's philosophy of the
    game. Several years before Cruyff died he came back to Holland, and began the new "Cruyffian" revolution at Ajax. He instituted the ways of developing players that Ajax did 40years ago. As a result Ajax is in the finals of the European Cup against Manchester United this wednesday. Their average age is 22, of Kluivert is 18 and a couple of others. It is a beginning, a start, thanks to Cruyff. But Holland has suffered because they failed to listeni= to Cruyff 25years ago. So, Ginger it is not that Cruyff's philosophy is no longer working for the dutch for it obvious is working for other countries, like the teams of which I mentioned, but the reason it wasn't working in Holland was that they didn't follow Cruyff's philosophy like they should have...
    "There is no reason why it work for the USA", work what? Cruyff's philosophy on how soccer should be played??
    Cruyffs philosophy has nothing to do with culture, but the tactics, the details of the game is a truism, so I have no idea on how you culture into it what you talking about.

64. Quarterback TD replied, May 22, 2017 at 5:15 p.m.

Frank, she will never understand what you just said.. she thinks soccer was invented in the US.. you better off talking to a brick wall at least the brick wall have an explainable low echo..

65. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at 6:51 p.m.

Q TD, true football was invented in England, but the US was the first country outside of Britain to play the game. So we have had a long history with the sport too.

66. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at 7:28 p.m.

Ginger the moves thing was Wiel Coerver, not Cruyff, and from what I understand the Dutch FA never really embraced the Coerver method. I usually call it Dutch Style Soccer, but really I ought to call it the Ajax philosophy. What you overlook is that Spain and Barca have adapted the Ajax philosophy as taught be Cruyff. Ironically while Barca was adopting it, Ajax was forgetting it. Cryuff is still respected as a manager in Europe.

67. R2 Dad, May 22, 2017 at 3:57 p.m.

Ecuador are much more practiced in the dark arts than our kids. #9 Lino kicks Zelalem behind his left knee while in the box, then rolls around clutching his face before getting the magic spray--no foul called--then continuing for the balance of the match. Zelalem tries to continue but there appears to be knee ligament damage--he is done for the tournament. Ecuador professional fouls were not called, but readily whistled against the US. Playing GZ as the dmid exposes him to rougher abuse and he's not built to take that contact against a cynical Ecuador who were happy to absorb pressure and counter with their fast wings. Once the initial pressure was broken up the field, Ecuador were off to the races. Their team was more physical, more experienced, more cynical, but also passed more accurately and with better timing and touch. Our weakness, like our women's U20 team, was at the right and left back positions where we were unable to take on defenders and advance the ball out wide. Combined with slower speed against very quick Ecuador attackers (especially at right back) they continually exposed our back line. Good result, but at a heavy cost for our U20s.

68. frank schoon replied, May 23, 2017 at 10:20 a.m.

R2, I like that, LOL . "the dark arts". But more important there is so much "good arts" of the game, that Cruyff calls the 'details' that are not taught or found in books.Much of what I write in my tips are those details what Cruyff and other "Greats" have mentioned.

69. Ginger Peeler, May 22, 2017 at 4:25 p.m.

I got up at 4:00 am to watch this game, live. Ecuador, as a team, was FAST! Stunningly fast! They scored in the 5th minute before we'd even gotten ourselves sorted out. That in the 5th minute and then they did it again in the 7th minute! And yet...and yet...the USA came back to play the tenacious brand of "futball" that they've been known for over the years! That's what made it special! We came from 2 down to even the score and then fell behind one more goal. But we NEVER gave up and equalized in the last minutes of the game. My favorite image from this game? Tab Ramos and one of our players, hugging, jumping up and down after we scored that final goal!! That's what we've been known to do (pull off?) over the years!!! It was exciting, it was scary, it was FUN!! I was afraid I'd fall back asleep after the game began. No way!!! It was a tough game, but we pulled out a tie when all looked lost...just like we used to do! These guys are exciting! I'm so glad I got up to watch! Worth every second!!!

70. Bob Ashpole replied, May 22, 2017 at 6:35 p.m.

My thoughts exactly, Ginger. That is a performance a coach can build on.

71. frank schoon, May 22, 2017 at 5:08 p.m.

Ginger , Although i'm very critical of the Dutch, and training in the past 20some years, that I don't even watch my own Dutch National team play for I think it is garbage...But the dutch it is still much above the sewer hole I think american soccer is at as far training, playing, and player development....

72. Ginger Peeler replied, May 22, 2017 at 9:43 p.m.

Frank, thank you for partially explaining the present state of Dutch soccer. But, from what you have said, the dutch soccer hierarchy has, basically, abandoned the soccer spirit you and others have embraced so passionately. I'm sincerely sorry for that. Hopefully, they'll realize the error of their ways soon and they will rectify the situation. My daughter flew to Holland with a bunch of other students back in 1993 where they trained with the coaches of the Dutch national team. She learned so much, which was readily apparent when she took the field again after returning back home. And she loved it. I've always tried to follow the orange since. But it's only recently that you can watch international soccer. My social security isn't enough for me to subscribe to the soccer sports channels, so I try to catch what games I can on my phone.

73. frank schoon replied, May 22, 2017 at 11 p.m.

Ginger, too bad the costs are hampering your situation in wanting to see international games. I myself have cut down on soccer channels and only have Espn and fox sports one. I haven't watched any Barcelona games for the past 2years for I think they have gone down in quality of play. This is what happens over time if you don't strictly stay to what got you there in the first place. That's what happened to Holland.
    Check out Youtube at times. As far as Holland goes, it is a shame what has happened to them. The spirit still lives in dutch soccer and they are aware of the problem for Johan Cruyff before he died wrote quite a few articles on what should happen, technically, tactically, and positionally. He said so many problems can be solved through player development and Ajax is following his recommendations and this is why Ajax's young team is a playing some nice ball. Do watch Manchester United vs
    Ajax this wednesday. If you have Espn3 try watching Ajax-Schalke played a month ago,it was excellent and enjoyable. Ajax will be become again the flagship of Dutch soccer. I would advice you to watch on Youtube all of the WC'74 games of Holland. Holland- Argentina, Holland-Uruguay, Holland-Sweden, Holland-east Germany, Holland-west germany, Holland -Bulgaria. Cruyff stated that the level of sophistication the dutch played in those games has yet to be surpassed, in other words Cruyff believed that this was the best soccer ever played thus far. Everything the Dutch National Team employed in the style is now employed by Barcelona in the past 10 years, and likewise with Bayern , Spanish National team and the German national team. So when you see teams 50years later, applying what the dutch in early 70's with Ajax and the dutch national team of '74 did, then it is no surprise when I say the soccer that Cruyff extolls are truisms of soccer can be applied to any culture. The truisms are there
    waiting to be applied. My earlier post here on the Argentinian u20 game, my technical description of it was possible only because of truisms of what I've learned through Cruyff's views on soccer. Again I commented on another culture, Argentina, play but Cruyff's truisms of soccer transcends culture...

74. Bob Ashpole replied, May 23, 2017 at 2:44 p.m.

CONCACAF streams some of their competitions on their website. Streaming matches on Facebook is going to be the next big thing.

75. Ginger Peeler, May 22, 2017 at 11:39 p.m.

Frank, just as younger folks reject the "tried and true" means of teaching our kids how to read, do math, etc; so it seems younger folks think they have THE answer to all national team playing woes. By the time you get to be our age, we know better. But that doesn't convince our children to embrace the sensible approach we espouse. I guess it's an age-old problem that's been going on, like, forever. But what do we know? Oh, well....

76. frank schoon replied, May 23, 2017 at 10:08 a.m.

Yes, Ginger. It is ironic. That the answers can be found by looking back. Cruyff once stated, that there is nothing new under the sun when it comes to soccer. He stated he learned the game from the older guys before him. And now you see Barcelona, Bayern, Spain, Germany following the soccer philosophy and training techniques and tactics of 50-60 years ago. And now Ajax has followed the developing methods of how Cruyff developed of 50years ago. There are Truisms of soccer that don't change with time. I think it is so funny that they continually want to reinvent the wheel when it comes to soccer. I'm currently reading a book written by
    a dutch all-time great who played in the 40's and 50's
    about skills and technique...very interesting

77. Wooden Ships, May 22, 2017 at 11:46 p.m.

Frank, you've done it again. My new mantra, "I miss Ruddy fields", Bring back Ruddy fields, BOLO for Ruddy." While signing and recruiting footballers, their ruddiness was telling.

78. frank schoon, May 23, 2017 at 9:54 a.m.

Ships, Ruddy fields ,I'm sure that reminds you of the old days as well. LOL. I remember back in the late 60's and early 70's playing on the Polo grounds in DC during the winter time. The Polo grounds were situated 40 yards from the Potomac, that had that cold,freezing wind coming across the river from the Virginia side. As soon as the referee blew for halftime, everyone scrammed,, to their cars to warm up, reminding me of a Tex Avery cartoon. The weather was so bad at the Polo ground, raining ,wind blowing, that at one game as I was making a run downfield ,I heard this "slurp' noise behind me. Apparently someone's soccer shoe was sucked up in the mud. At Fort Reno in DC, that soccer field had old pieces of glass and small rocks on the field along with some patches of grass and nobody thought anything of it for what do you expect from DC gov't. Those were the days.