USA-Norway: U.S. women sweep Scandinavian tour

Christen Press scored in the 60th minute to give the USA a 1-0 win over Norway in front of 3,866 fans at Sandejord's Komplett Arena in the 50th meeting between the teams and a sweep of the USA's two games in Scandinavia.

U.S. coach Jill Ellis planned on making two changes from the team that beat Sweden, 1-0, on Thursday -- Abby Dahlkemper for Meghan Klingenberg and Press for Carli Lloyd -- but teenage star Mallory Pugh hurt her ankle in warmups and had to be replaced by Klingenberg,

After a sluggish first half, the USA scored when captain Becky Sauerbrunn lofted a ball over the Norwegian defense to Press, who slotted it home for her 42nd international goal on the USA's only shot on goal in the game.

Rose Lavelle, the other NWSL rookie besides Pugh on the U.S, team, was injured late in the game and had to be replaced bu Lloyd.

The USA now has an all-time record of 29-19-12 against Norway and won the last six games. Norway's 19 wins and 93 goals in the series are the most by any country against the USA.

June 11 in Sandefjord
Norway 0 USA 1. Goal: Press 60.
Norway -- Hjelmseth; Mjelde, Holstad Berge, Wold, Andrine Hegerberg (Thorisdottir, 75), Isaksen (Reiten, 82), Haavi (Minde, 59), Spord (Karlseng, 75), Thorsnes, Hansen, Ada Hegerberg.
USA -- Naeher; O'Hara (Ertz, 83), Sauerbrunn, Short, Dahlkemper; Lavelle (Lloyd, 86), Long, Mewis, Klingenberg (Horan, 46); Dunn, Press.
Att.: 3,866.
14 comments about "USA-Norway: U.S. women sweep Scandinavian tour".
  1. Carl Hudson, June 12, 2017 at 9 a.m.

Dunn seems to have lost some of her speed; Klingenberg likes to go in reverse, and the entire crew looks like the gang that can't shoot straight.

We need a better attack. Short is doing well at left back, but on defense the backs fail to clear the ball out of the box, and the keeper is no Hope Solo. On offense, O'Hara and Press are doing fine but we need Pugh in there. This is a team that needs to inprove a bit.

2. John Soares, June 12, 2017 at 1:37 p.m.

Not the best performance... OK, actually not very good. BUT, good to see young/new players get a chance. These "friendlies" are the time to test and try new players and approaches. Good work coach.

3. Nick Daverese, June 12, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.

Why only less then 4 thousand fans at that game?

4. Zabivaka Sobaka replied, June 16, 2017 at 9:21 p.m.

I do not watch it because of Abby and Rapinoe and I think they drastically overpaid

5. Nick Daverese, June 12, 2017 at 3:38 p.m.

Somebody asked me that question at Saturday's game by the Cosmos. I answered the game was original scheduled on Friday at 7:30 Pm. Then moved without much notice to Saturday at 4 pm. Which was good for me and my wife. But bad for club kids going to the game because they have their own games on Saturdays. I like MCI park in Brooklyn because they have a very good Italian Restaurant a block from the stadium. Also they have Coney Island and the beach and rides there. They have a lot of Russian mafia restraunt there with exotic dancers there if you like that and I do. Except they try to get six people into a table built for four people. Plus old Russians are fat :)

6. R2 Dad, June 12, 2017 at 9:39 p.m.

I started watching the replay and was appalled the bad habits of French seem to have been absorbed by Ellis. Flat back 4 all out 35 yards awaiting their own keeper goal kick, backs lofting balls down channels instead of passing upfield on the ground--this is how crappy teams play, no the world's #1 women's team.

7. Bob Ashpole replied, June 15, 2017 at 2 a.m.

Correction, that is how exhausted teams play.

8. Robert Looyen, June 13, 2017 at 8:18 p.m.

R2 Dad, right on! But sadly it's much worse. That's the same old "route 1" football we have been playing for years and easily defended by the top teams out there. Not only that, but their game has no resemblance to what US soccer is asking us club, high school, and college coaches to teach. Vs Norway we had 1 shot on goal! We look like 11 very good soccer players playing 11 different games. Either Jill doesn't know how to get our players to play the ground game, or they are unable to carry it out. Be ready for more 0-3 score lines (recently Vs France), if things don't change. Why so few players getting meaningful minutes if these are "Friendlies". I know we have the players in this country to play the right way, I've seen them and coached them and against them, but not all of them are 5'10" and extraordinary athletes. Time to look harder at what is happening. Maybe Tab Ramos can help, he gets it. They can call me, I'm not hard to find and I'll be happy to do it for them. I've only been coaching the "Ground game" in this country for over 35 years.

9. Bob Ashpole replied, June 15, 2017 at 1:48 a.m.

Coach, I wished that I lived in Southern California so I could watch you coach or have conversations with you over coffee about player development and the senior game. The subjects are not ones that lend themselves to discussion on internet forums. I bristle whenever I hear youth coaches talking about teaching the "ground game" (or possession style) to youth. I also bristle when I hear anyone talk about playing "the right way." My views of the game are the classic Dutch Style principles associated with Ajax, total soccer, Cruyff, and Barca under Pep. I don't believe there is one universal style of play for every team, every match, and even every minute of one match. Our conversations would be about curriculum, player development models and senior match management and game plans. I too thought the US played poorly and am generally disappointed with the lack of progress in improving the play of both US senior teams. The only significant advance is that it is no longer acceptable to play a CB who tackles well but is weak on the ball while in possession. I think this is an important first step, but just the first step in improving the level of play.

10. Robert Looyen, June 15, 2017 at 8:39 p.m.

Bob, thanks for understanding my unhappiness. I really see a lack of care or leadership at the USSF in regards to the "Women's" game. It's almost as if they are being forced to over see the development of women's soccer. Why fix the best team in the world? Lol! until it's not and why can't they see that, it's been obvious to me for years. Now our team is maybe top three in the world, according to the Norway coach. Why no outrage? Does anyone care that he felt he could say that? The right way comment is in regards to the mandates and changes the USSF have implemented at the youth level to prepare players to play the possession (ground) game, for lack of a better term. Which I largely agree with. With all do respect to Jill, sadly she failed with the U20'S, failed at UCLA, and now with the senior team as well. If no one complains, then we can live in the hype of always living in the past of being the top team in the women's game. Is the USSF waiting for another cycle to start to bring in the players that play the game as they mandate? Don't they believe that this group have the capability of learning what they want, or is it too late? Are they playing this style on the lower level teams? And most importantly, can they really look at the play of players that don't fit the ideal body type, Messy is always the smallest player on the field, but here that would have been a problem for him to even be seen, trust me, I have stories. I can't give out contact info. of course, but it looks like you googled me and know how to start, I coach at three different organizations/institutions, but then you probably already knew that.

11. Fire Paul Gardner Now replied, June 16, 2017 at 4:08 p.m.

How can you say she's "failed" with the senior team when she won the world cup?! The result of every USWNT game this year is meaningless. They don't play a meaningful game until WC qualifying next fall and these games are all about experimenting and integrating new players to make sure the team is as strong as possible when it counts.

12. Bob Ashpole replied, June 16, 2017 at 4:58 p.m.

FPGN, licensed coaches, especially those with DA clubs, are given the USSF development strategy and USSF's view of the senior game, which resembles the control-the-ball style of top clubs. The U20s do not play that way although Looyen believes there are suitable players for that style that Ellis could have picked. Myself, I don't know that suitable players exist, but I do agree that Ellis should be moving the team to a more technical style of play. I prefer coaches who describe the preferred style as "positional play" rather than "possession style." (These are terms of art, so dictionary meanings of the words won't help anyone understand the terms.) The key to moving forward is using players who have mastered the technical and tactical fundamentals of the game, which in my view are given short shift at younger ages to concentrate on team tactics.

13. Robert Looyen, June 17, 2017 at 10:28 a.m.

FPGN, Her U-20 had the worst finish in the history of the women's program, she couldn't make it work at UCLA and lasted two years. Our senior team had a good WC but got really lucky and it was obvious that our days of dominance were coming to an end, which was reinforced by our performance in the Olympics were we finished the worst we ever had and got run off of the field by the Japanese. What part of that don't you understand. Okay, these games don't mean anything, so why so few new players, and why so little substitutions earlier in the game? You're allowed 6 in these games. Where is the changes in tactical focus, they look like the NBA, one v one all over the field, there isn't even any attempt to bring players closer together to look to combine, surely these players can learn to work together to break down these bunker defenses? ONE SHOT ON GOAL vs Norway! this isn't Germany, or France, or Japan. I didn't see anything different from anyone. The short term coach, I want to say, Surmany (I didn't have time to check the spelling) in the short time he was here had them overlapping and getting central defenders running into the penalty box looking to play the 45 deg. ball. How long was he here? He got them to move forward. One more thing; this has been going on for at least ten years that I knew we would be here in this place in our development. The only reason we haven't noticed the problems is because of Abby Wombough (Sorry for the butcher job on your name). She brought to the game the one thing no one had; A dominance in the air that no one could stop, now all that's left are speed in behind which surprises no one.

14. Robert Looyen, June 17, 2017 at 6:54 p.m.

FPCN; Please excuse my overly aggressive comments, I'm really passionate about the game and in particular, our national teams, but I've sat back for too long and watched as it wasn't changing, and now finally the USSF have made these mandates which agree with how I see the game and I've waited so long for them to come to these conclusions, and to not see it being implemented, or at least the rudimentary beginnings of that process in friendly matches is troubling. Forgive me, I mean no harm.