What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann

"He could have signed with any MLS team. They all got in touch. But his goal has always been to go to Europe and to see how far he could go."

Jurgen Klinsmann on his 20-year-old son Jonathan, who signed with Hertha Berlin earlier this month. (Kicker)

9 comments about "What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann ".
  1. Ginger Peeler, July 27, 2017 at 9:23 p.m.

I, for one, hope he does well. What better for our program to have a child with very strong ties to Germany excelling in the German leagues? We've consistently produced exceptional goalies, partly because players in other countries want the "sweetheart" spots of the much more popular goal scorers. So the US has been happy to produce outstanding goalkeepers. Besides the young man who has chosen to leave the Mexican national team and go with the United States, let's hope Klinsmann also excells and becomes a very important part of the USMNT.

2. Craig Cummings, July 27, 2017 at 11:37 p.m.

What passport does he carry? I do not believe he was born in the USA. I coached him in summer camp when he was 10 11 and I dont think he had lived here for more than 4 years.

3. Ginger Peeler replied, July 28, 2017 at 8:08 a.m.

He's has dual citizenships since his mother is American and his father is German. It makes no difference which country he was born in.

4. :: SilverRey ::, July 28, 2017 at 9:33 a.m.

Ah, Jurgen. Still getting the jabs in on MLS.
    "Ja! All ze MLS teams started a bidding var for my son - but he his too good for all of them."

5. Eve Montgomery, July 28, 2017 at 12:14 p.m.

SilverRey: My thoughts exactly! He couldn't resist! Maybe he was tempted to deride the Gold Cup win, too.

6. Nick Daverese, July 28, 2017 at 6:23 p.m.

As tony Meola once told the press when he could not sign with a team in Italy which was his father's dream. Instead signed with the Long Island Roughriders before there was the mls. " A shot is a shot." What else could he say?

7. Nick Daverese, July 28, 2017 at 6:26 p.m.

Love tony he tried to be a place kicker for an NFL team. Then he tried acting at a dinner Theather production.

8. Andrew Kear, July 30, 2017 at 5:53 a.m.

Actually, he is not good enough to start among the best MLS teams. He is a second division European talent.

9. Craig Cummings, July 31, 2017 at 11:25 p.m.

Yes Ginger I know that , as I have met his American mother at camp and High school games. My bad for not thinking about his mom. Thank you.