ICE deports Bethesda SC star who was headed to college

Lizandro Claros Saravia, a 19-year-old former Bethesda SC Development Academy defender who was headed to play for Louisburg College in North Carolina on a soccer scholarship, was deported to his native El Salvador by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). The Washington Post’s Rachel Chason reported on what happened in two articles: A soccer star from Gaithersburg won a college scholarship. But ICE plans to deport him. and He went to ICE to tell agents he had gotten into college. Now he and his brother have been deported.

10 comments about "ICE deports Bethesda SC star who was headed to college".
  1. :: SilverRey ::, August 3, 2017 at 2:02 p.m.

This is so sad. Both brothers were fully registered in the system and made all of their process appointments since moving here. They followed all of the rules laid out, including this latest check-in to tell ICE that they were moving cities to go to college.
    So instead of welcoming upstanding individuals who were on a path to meaningfully contribute to society, they were arrested at their check-in meeting and deported back to the current murder capitol of the world (El Salvador) which they were trying to escape.

2. Footballer Forever replied, August 3, 2017 at 3:46 p.m.

Not to get into political stuff, but Trump's agenda is more of a deceiving white nationalistic wolf agenda dressed in white sheep dress.

3. Nick Daverese, August 4, 2017 at 7:39 p.m.

I thought Chicago was the murder capital of the World. I think that college is a junior college. Maybe you have to have decent marks to be eligible to play. I am not use they give full scholarships to that school. If the Washington post reported it probably is not the full truth. That's all that paper does is lie. I stopped buying from Amazon because the owner owns the Washington post. Do any of those players have a past criminal record. If they do they are gone.

4. Nick Daverese, August 4, 2017 at 8:48 p.m.

Ok I knew I remember that school. It is not even a real college. 700 students to go to that school you must be on one their teams. Not on a team you can't get it. Your going to learn a lot in that College. It a joke did the Washington post say that?

5. R2 Dad, August 5, 2017 at 1:26 a.m.

This just seems wrong. The concept of increased deportations the American public was sold was on the ejection of criminals and "bad hombres". Did this guy attack a referee? Is he a gang member? This seems random, and detracts from the goal established by the president.

6. Nick Daverese, August 5, 2017 at 1:57 a.m.

The reason why I remember that school because my nephew went their for a semester. He injured his pitching arm and he was gone. Get this he is now playing soft ball on multiple teams. For fun one of the teams he is on is a company team. It seems the company President likes to win games. My nephew is 21 he offered him a job at his company at 33 hundred a week. They will teach him the business all he has to do is help them win.

7. Fanfor soccer, August 5, 2017 at 4:23 p.m.

You never hear the full story. As given it sounds cruel but until I or anyone else knows the facts, making comments is questionable at best.

8. Lewie Stevens from Floyd Central High School, August 7, 2017 at 1:05 p.m.

I, too, will steer clear of politics but Nick D., the Washington Post may print things you disagree with but is an award winning newspaper that prints far more than just "lies."

9. Nick Daverese, August 7, 2017 at 2:22 p.m.

How about the New York Times? They are always praising Martin Luther King HS and what a great coach their coach is. He gets illegally zoned players. He is a cheater he has a big money deal from addidas. He tried to take his team and put them in our youth league one year. He took his team and got the field at Roosevelt island over the tram ride to do. Had some kids from Roosevelt island he would not take them. They finish 6 in the dovish of 9 teams. Kids got bummed out because they thought they were going to beat everyone like they did in the public HS division.

10. Paul Roby, August 7, 2017 at 6:12 p.m.

Is there a way to block someone here? I bet it's not just me either...