U.S. Soccer presidential race: Hope Solo: 'The time for talking is over'

The race for U.S. Soccer president took yet another twist as Hope Solo -- suspended by the federation in 2015 and 2016 at the tail end of her playing career -- announced she is running.

Solo made the announcement in a Facebook poston Thursday night.

“The time for talking is over,” wrote Solo, who has been traveling internationally and discussing leadership issues. "Through all of these experiences," she added, "I have learned that it is the responsibility of those in leadership positions who have the ability to change policy to stop giving lip service to the issues, but to instead, execute and take the actions required to affect real change."

Primer: Here's how U.S. Soccer's presidential election works ...

Solo outlined four core principles of her campaign and actions she'd take:

-- Invest in robust developmental programs, starting with youth soccer's diversity.
-- Push for equal pay for the U.S. women's national team and all women in the federation workplace and inclusion of women at all levels of the federation.
-- Make soccer financially accessible to all.
-- Restructure the roles and functions of the federation's executive officers and executive branch.

A spokesperson for Solo told SI.com's Grant Wahl she has the three letters of support from member organizations needed to run. The deadline to obtain them is Tuesday.

U.S. Soccer presidential candidates:
Paul Caligiuri
Kathy Carter
Carlos Cordeiro
Steve Gans
Paul Lapointe
Kyle Martino
Hope Solo
Michael Winograd
Eric Wynalda

Solo, 35, helped the USA win Olympic gold medals in 2008 and 2012 and the 2015 Women's World Cup. She recorded 103 shutouts in 202 international matches, making her the greatest women's goalkeeper of all time.

But off-the-field issues often got her in trouble with U.S. Soccer.

-- She was suspended for the third-place game against Norway at the 2007 Women's World Cup after blasting head coach Greg Ryan for dropping her in favor of Briana Scurry, the hero of the 1999 Women's World Cup triumph, for the semifinals. The USA lost to Brazil, 4-0.

-- She was arrested in June 2014 on two charges of fourth-degree domestic violence assault for allegedly striking her half-sister, Teresa L. Obert, and Obert's son in an early-morning altercation. The case was first dismissed and later reinstated as appeals continued over procedural issues related to the lack of cooperation of Obert and Obert's son.

-- U.S. Soccer suspended Solo for 30 days in early 2015 following the DUI arrest of her husband Jerramy Stevens. Stevens and Solo had taken a team van at training camp in California -- players often used the vans for outings and to run errands -- and Solo was with Stevens when he was pulled over.

-- The last straw was when she said the USA "played a bunch of cowards," after it was ousted by Sweden in a shootout from the Rio Olympics. U.S. coach Jill Ellis and U.S. Soccer secretary general Dan Flynn flew to Seattle to inform Solo of U.S. Soccer's decision to suspend her and terminate her national team contract.

Solo has been active on labor issues and part of the group of players who filed a wage discrimination suit against U.S. Soccer with the EEOC.

8 comments about "U.S. Soccer presidential race: Hope Solo: 'The time for talking is over'".
  1. Ric Fonseca, December 8, 2017 at 9:57 p.m.

GREAT NEWS!!!  So, with pun intended, Hope springs eternal!

2. Ric Fonseca, December 9, 2017 at 7:33 p.m.

I've found Hope Solo's entry into the US Soccer Presidential derby quite refreshing and elightening, especially after I read her letter explaining her reasons.  However, I am very dismayed and highly disappointed that Soccer America has not seen fit to printer her letter, instead provide us with a synopsis of her letter.  I don't know how many of you have taken the time to read Solo's letter, while I am sure that some may have also read, as I have,  the other candidate's positions.
    Solo's letter is very far reaching, and while some of you may find it somewhat shallow, what she has exposed is an almost complete litanny of the "problems" that besets the Federation, and IMHO, she is currently the best candidate available to us.  The other commentary appearing in her facebook post, appears to be very favorable, with the usual nay-sayers and several ignoramuses as is wont the case.
    I would sincerely appreciate it immensely if SA would publish her Letter of Candidacy and would I have an opportunity to cast my vote, I'd do it in her favor.  True she's had some very rough spots along the way, and hell, who hasn't?  And while I am at it, why haven't other of the usual lot of commentators put pen to paper and give your thoughts?
    So, in danger of sounding silly and using a goofy pun, I will close with: "Yes Virginia, HOPE springs eternal..."

3. Bob Ashpole, December 11, 2017 at 2:22 a.m.

Ric, I agree she would be a force for change.

I really don't see why Soccer America mentioned the "off-the-field issues." They aren't relevant and the listing only emphasized the pettiness of these "troubles." Arrests are not convictions. Soccer America didn't publish the driving records of the other candidates' families. Why not? Because it isn't relevant.

4. Right Winger, December 11, 2017 at 2:28 p.m.

Bob, character is relavent.  At least in my neighborhood.

5. Ric Fonseca replied, December 11, 2017 at 10:03 p.m.

Fanfor, I fully agree with Bob.  IMHO, I believe that this sorta fits into the journalistic "mold" of providing the at times much needed "fodder" for a "sensationalist" type of story.  As for the other candidates backgrounds, I doubt if they would have a similar "history" yet I haven't read anything untoward about ANY of the other candidates, yet why would PK/SA need to write of the "off-the- field issues,?" and what in the world would they need to be relevant to her ability to do the job?  Simply stated, she sees the soccer trees for the soccer forest.

6. Right Winger, December 11, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.

Bob, the ability to make good decisions is affected by character.  Would you agree?  If so lets check out how it may have or may not have affected decisions she has had to make in the past.

7. Bob Ashpole replied, December 11, 2017 at 6:55 p.m.

In my opinion none of these "off-the-field issues" reflect on character. In a court, for instance, none would be considered character evidence.

8. Right Winger, December 12, 2017 at 10:11 a.m.

Guys I respect your view just don't agree.  As far SA mentioning her questionable situations that occured in the past it is just part of politics even on this level.  However in the case of Solo I think anyone that is interested in soccer didn't have to be reminded.  Any time you go to look for a job your past experiences always follow you.  Her past issues really only affected her except maybe for van being used that belonged to US Soccer.  Realistically everone remembers that bad things you do and forget the good things you do.  Is she the best keeper in the game of womens soccer?  Yes she is.  Is she the one for this job?  Not in my opinion.  The numbers will tell the story.  In my mind this position requires someone who is a manager, an organizer and a problem solver who can deal with multi levels of management both with US Soccer and supporting entities.  Needs to be a person without a personal vendetta but a personal desire to make the program better.  I think US Soccer is a self imposed complicated operation and it is going to take someone with management experience and the ability to build long term relationships  to get it on the right track.  They need to be analytical.  My opinion only.