Oxlade-Chamberlain: 'Devastated' and 'gutted'

For the second straight tournament, Englishman Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain won't be going to the World Cup because of an injury.

Four years ago, Ox missed out on the World Cup in Brazil after being named in Roy Hodgson’s squad. A knee injury in a tune-up game didn't recover in time for him to play in Brazil.

This time, the 24-year-old Oxlade-Chamberlain's injury is even more heartbreaking. He'll not only miss the World Cup in Russia because of a knee injury but he'll miss the UEFA Champions League final if Liverpool holds on to its 5-2 lead over Roma.

Liverpool has yet to confirm the extent of the damage to his knee in an injury suffered when he made a sliding tackle on Roma's Aleksander Kolarov in the first half of Tuesday's game at Anfield.

Absolutely devastated to have picked up this injury at such a crucial time in the season. Gutted I won’t be able to play any further part now in our Champions League run for Liverpool, and also the World Cup with England. But now it’s all about supporting the boys and getting behind them. I know we have what it takes to do something special in this tournament. I’m going to give everything I have to make sure I’m back as quickly as possible. However, this all pales in comparison to how the family of the liverpool fan badly hurt before last nights game must be feeling. My thoughts are with him and his loved ones. Thank you for all your kind words, messages and support. I’ll see you soon. #YNWA

A post shared by Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (@alexoxchamberlain) on

“Absolutely devastated to have picked up this injury at such a crucial time in the season,” the midfielder wrote on Instagram.

“Gutted I won’t be able to play any further part now in our Champions League run for Liverpool, and also the World Cup with England. But now it’s all about supporting the boys and getting behind them. I know we have what it takes to do something special in this tournament. I’m going to give everything I have to make sure I’m back as quickly as possible."

Ox went to express sympathy for the family of 53-year-old Irishman Sean Cox, who is in a critical condition at a Liverpool hospital after being attacked by Roma fans 10 minutes before the game.

“However, this all pales in comparison to how the family of the Liverpool fan badly hurt before last night’s game must be feeling," Ox added. "My thoughts are with him and his loved ones. Thank you for all your kind words, messages and support. I’ll see you soon.”

7 comments about "Oxlade-Chamberlain: 'Devastated' and 'gutted'".
  1. Wooden Ships, April 27, 2018 at 11:01 a.m.

I feel for any player that gets injured, especially when it prevents one from competing in the World Cup. With Ox and others that frequently go to ground while tackling, which is a style of play, it carries more risk in my mind than benefit. His tackle was unnecessary and it cost him and his team(s). A cultural-nations study of the frequency of going to ground to win the ball would be revealing. I’ve played along side players from many countries and there is a history/tradition of staying on your feet, to the point of it equating to proper-prideful play. Style! My experience has been that the US and English (British) players regularly incorporate this style. It’s also my experience that crafty players take advantage of known ground dwellers. Thoughts? I wish Ox a speedy recovery and hope he doesn’t miss another Cup.

2. Bob Ashpole replied, April 27, 2018 at 3:20 p.m.

To me no play is more beautiful than a well-executed slide tackle. Like an artful pickpocket, the defender has collected the ball before the victim realizes what happened.

Having said that, however, I agree that rarely is a slide tackle the best tactical choice.

3. frank schoon replied, April 27, 2018 at 7:53 p.m.

Frank de Boer of Holland /Ajax played leftback was not fast could count one hand the number of slide tackles he's made.  And that's because he was a smart player positioning himself in a manner making it very difficult to beat him. Cruyff like George Best had a build in radar sensing when a defender would try to tackle and able to avoid it.
    This is why it's so important that when you a beat a player make sure  when he's turns and running next to you his strong leg is closest  to you

4. Wallace Wade, April 27, 2018 at 1:42 p.m.

I feel bad for him. I really don’t understand why he made such a strong challenge given where the ball and player was on the pitch and the angle he had on the ball. Hopefully he can make a successful comeback. Cringed as soon as I saw the challenge.

5. Wooden Ships, April 27, 2018 at 8:19 p.m.

I should clarify my comment above. US and Brit players regularly go to ground, my experience anyway. I can appreciate your comment above Bob, the slide tackle, but for me it needs to be a last resort attempt in a goal scoring effort. Too many of our players, pros included, have used this as a default technique, as opposed to Franks observation about smart positional defending. Tight defensive 1V1 defending until the dribbler shows you enough of the ball to win it away. It’s another example of hard surface learning, including futsal, where one must stay on their feet. It’s (going to ground way too much) also a hard habit to break. Can’t count how many times a full speed ahead defender would close on me, knowing a slide was imminent and that’s when I had them. A little lift and shift, a pull back, a short meg and if in the box draw the PK. Breakdown too late and bye bye. Anyway, my thought on coaching youth is to disway them from going to ground in all training sessions.

6. frank schoon replied, April 28, 2018 at 11:06 a.m.

Ships, yup,so true, LOL. Cruyff whenever a fast running defender closes in on him he would stiff arm sideways so the defender would run into the arm thus giving Cruyff that extra little shove or push giving that extra step. What Cruyff would also do is whenever he dribbles his are waving around that any defender get near he'll accidentally get smacked in the face.
    Sekularic of Yugoslavia a great player who so many say invented the "rainbow' would invite the defender to tackle. He would face defender 1v1, push the ball diagonally forwards with his right towards the defender and quickly pulls it back with his left and then do it again but this time starting with left. Performing it a couple of times ,he would drive the defender crazy to slide tackle him. And of course the defender would miss the ball and on his back , Sekularic tap him on his forward. Sekularic was called 'Circus Papa" for he was a circus number and totally lacked discipline. In the WC'62 when Yugoslavia played Chile, a couple of hours before the game, they saw him playing in a pickup out in a park somewhere...
    This is like Garrincha, who in the WC'66 the coach kept him outside of the locker room while he talked to the rest of the team about tactics. He figured Garrincha wasn't too smart but with a guy like Garrincha who can beat 2 or 3 players and you can't get the ball from him why bother talking tactics with him...

7. frank schoon replied, April 28, 2018 at 11:07 a.m.

Sekularic would tap the defender on his forehead as he is laying on his back after the mistackle