What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann

“You build a new skeleton between World Cups and we hadn’t built the skeleton yet. When we lost two games, we were still building the skeleton. Sorry we lost two games! Then [the Federation] became emotional. ...But they made their decision, so no problem.”

-- Jurgen Klinsmann on his ouster as U.S. men's national team coach after it opened the Hexagonal in 2016 with losses to Mexico and Costa Rica. (Sports Illustrated)
7 comments about "What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann".
  1. Wooden Ships, May 17, 2018 at 1:12 a.m.

JK was an accomplished player, but as a manager he had no clothes ultimately.

2. Bob Ashpole, May 17, 2018 at 1:29 a.m.

He would have been further ahead not to defend the team's 2 opening losses as acceptable ("on track"). He opened a door to criticism with that comment.

3. Ginger Peeler, May 17, 2018 at 2:01 p.m.

He took credit for the wins (he did start pretty well) and blamed his players for the losses. I have no respect for someone who won’t take responsibility. When he explained that he was experimenting with players’ poditions in order to determine the very best way to use the skills of the US players in order to win the Gold Cup, it made sense. But, during Cup games, he COMTINUED the experimenting! What happened to playing to the players’ strengtjs? We lost!!! And he had the gall to blame the players. The man totally lacks credibility. And he’s still passing the buck.

4. frank schoon, May 17, 2018 at 6:08 p.m.

I was never a fan of Klinsman as a player or of his style for I basically saw him as one that was not a very technical player but who relied much on running "laufing und stampfing" but was useful as a striker. The American sports press of whom I have a very low opinion of especially when it comes to soccer, praised him as a great player ,which runs counter to my assessment of him. But I do think that Klinsman has had a bad rap. Some of the criticisms expounded here about Klinsman are simply laughable. I wish SA would do an in depth interview with Klinsman, to get a better picture of what happened before I would criticize or praise him...

5. Bob Ashpole replied, May 17, 2018 at 7:02 p.m.

If you read the Sports Illustrated article, JK doesn't say anything useful. He is just making general statements defending himself. Maybe in a couple of years he will talk about the team.

6. Wooden Ships replied, May 17, 2018 at 7:13 p.m.

You’ve raised the JK-Soccer America interview multiple times. I wonder why it’s not happened?

7. frank schoon replied, May 17, 2018 at 9:16 p.m.

Ships, exactly, I don’t understand it. This would be so interesting to have him explain things. With all the good interviews SA has done recently why not Klinsmann....it’s been over a year now...
    Bob, I haven’t read SI article and you’re probably right. But my opinion on SI is not very good and never found it to be the go to magazine on soccer... I would much rather read about him in a real soccer mag. where the journalist are much more familiar about soccer