U.S. men's roster: Adams, McKennie and Pulisic get call-ups

U.S. men's national team Gregg Berhalter called in 24 players for the first camp where he will have a full selection of players.

The March international break is the first window on the FIFA calendar since he took charge, and he has brought in nine foreign-based players -- eight in Europe and one in Mexico -- plus 14 players who took part in the January camp. The 24th player is Jordan Morris, who has returned to action after missing the 2018 MLS season with the Seattle Sounders because of a knee injury.

Players will begin gathering on Sunday in Orlando for the match against Ecuador on March 21 at Orlando City Stadium, then five days later against defending South American champion Chile on March 26 at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston.

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge, BEL; 3/0)
Sean Johnson (New York City FC; 6/0)
Zack Steffen (Columbus Crew; 8/0)

Steffen, the current No. 1, and Johnson played in the winter friendlies. Horvath regained the starting job at Club Brugge last fall and his season has included play in both the UEFA Champions League and Europa League. There was no place for either Bill Hamid, who said in January he was better than the goalkeepers Berhalter picked for the Chula Vista camp, or veteran Brad Guzan whom he also said he was better than.

DEFENDERS (8):
John Brooks (Wolfsburg, GER; 36/3)
Omar Gonzalez (Atlas, MEX; 48/3)
Nick Lima (San Jose Earthquakes; 2/0)
Aaron Long (New York Red Bulls; 4/0)
Daniel Lovitz (Montreal Impact; 2/0)
Matt Miazga (Reading, ENG; 11/1)
Tim Ream (Fulham, ENG; 26/1)
DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United, ENG; 57/0)

With his full allotment of players, Berhalter has brought in Brooks and Miazga from Europe and Gonzalez from Mexico. Gonzalez, who has not played for the USA since giving up the own goal in the 2-1 loss to Trinidad & Tobago in 2017, has been starting all season for Atlas. Gonzalez and Berhalter go back together to the days of the LA Galaxy when Gonzalez was starting his career and Berhalter, his mentor, was finishing up. Ream and Yedlin, who start in the EPL, are the other foreign-based players in the backline corps. The only starting defender from the two January matches not in the March camp is LAFC's Walker Zimmerman.

MIDFIELDERS (7):
Tyler Adams (RB Leipzig, GER; 9/1)
Michael Bradley (Toronto FC; 143/17)
Sebastian Lletget (LA Galaxy; 7/2)
Weston McKennie (Schalke, GER; 7/1)
Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund, GER; 23/9)
Cristian Roldan (Seattle Sounders; 7/0)
Wil Trapp (Columbus Crew SC; 13/0)

Barring injuries, Adams, McKennie and Pulisic, the three 20-year-olds from the Bundesliga, will get a chance to start together on the national team for the first time. Last May, when Pulisic came in for the USA-Bolivia game in Philadelphia, McKennie played but Adams was held out. Last September, Pulisic was injured and last October McKennie and Pulisic were both out. They briefly played together at the end of the England game in November. The other four midfielders are all holdovers from the January camp.  The only midfield starter from the wins over Panama and Costa Rica not recalled was Djordje Mihailovic.

FORWARDS (6):
Paul Arriola (D.C. United; 19/3)
Corey Baird (Real Salt Lake; 2/0)
Jonathan Lewis (New York City FC; 2/0)
Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders; 25/5)
Christian Ramirez (LAFC; 2/1)
Gyasi Zardes (Columbus Crew; 42/6)

Besides Morris, the other five players brought in for the three spots up front are all January campers from MLS. Morris and Zardes both have braces in MLS's first two weeks, while Arriola and Ramirez also have goals. Probably the only surprise in Berhalter's choices is the absence of teenagers Josh Sargent and Tim Weah, though they've played a combined 12 minutes in March. Both the U.S. U-23s and U-20s will have matches in March in Europe, and Sargent and Weah are eligible for both teams.

---------------------

The matches against Ecuador and Chile are the only ones Berhalter will have before he has to decide whom to pick for the Gold Cup in June and they come after he traveled to Europe to meet with players.

“We have laid a lot of ground work in preparation for this camp," he said. "It entailed meeting with the players, video conferences with the players, conversations with the players, evaluating their games ... it’s a very important time period to keep working and be productive. We’ve used that time to meet the players and communicate what we’re looking to do in the next camp.”

Unlike the January camp, where Berhalter had three weeks to work with his players, he will have two full days with his new squad before the Ecuador game.

17 comments about "U.S. men's roster: Adams, McKennie and Pulisic get call-ups".
  1. R2 Dad, March 12, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.

Until Bradley is left off the team sheet (and certainly purged as team captain), we can't have a "new" identity. Pull off the bandaid now, or by 2021, but GB will do it before the next world cup. So why wait?

2. Richard T. Lynch replied, March 12, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.

Agree.  So glad he's not bringing in Altidore.  Sad for Sargent and Weah but not quite their time yet.

3. Bob Ashpole replied, March 12, 2019 at 3:16 p.m.

So who would replace Bradley. I just checked on Danny Williams and he is out this year with a knee injury. Other than Trap, who else plays a deep lying CM?

Richard you are assuming things about the current selections which may not be true. Jozy isn't available.

4. Richard T. Lynch replied, March 12, 2019 at 5:45 p.m.

Gee, Bob, so Bradley and Trapp are currently the only deep CMs we have available in the country?  Well, we ARE in bad shape then.  IMO, give minutes to Trapp and start looking for the next guy. Maybe Williams but he's aging out too.   Bradley on the bench for wisdom and maybe late minutes to kill a game is a good role.  He may be still playing ok now but he's not going to be the go-to guy in '22.  I hope.

Jozy's always hurt.  Guess I should have realized that.  He's physically unreliable at his age.  I think GB knows what he's got in Sargent and Weah right now and is using these games to find the third or fourth forwards.  I'm guessing Morris gets lots of minutes.  Hoping he does well.

5. Bob Ashpole replied, March 12, 2019 at 6:43 p.m.

Selections are made from those who are healthy and getting regular playing time with their clubs. That isn't a lot of players, but it should be given we have a lot of domestic soccer now.

6. Wooden Ships, March 12, 2019 at 3:05 p.m.

I agree with you R2 on Bradley, move on. There are always quibbles in selection and I’m supportive of our new manager, even though I question his judgement. Let me start with whom I believe to be our most dynamic and complete forward, Sargent. I don’t want to hear experience as to why not, I trust my eyes. Which makes me wonder what GB isn’t seeing. Will Trapp and Zardes ever be more than they are now? No. Omar, no. Yedlin has how many caps in an attacking back position, enough said there. Leaving off Mihailovic tells me we still are thinking to direct. I want to see some balls/hutzpah in our new direction. Looks like some familiar conservative choices. I’d like to be wrong and moving forward to refer to Gregg as “The alchemist.”

7. Wooden Ships replied, March 12, 2019 at 3:07 p.m.

Meant to state that Yedlin has no goals in all his time. Not acceptable .

8. Bob Ashpole replied, March 12, 2019 at 3:17 p.m.

WS who else plays a deep lying CM besides Bradley and Trapp?

9. Wooden Ships replied, March 12, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.

Let’s not use a deep lying 6. If we must, use Weston or apprentice someone.

10. Bob Ashpole replied, March 12, 2019 at 5:17 p.m.

WS I don't think that is practical for a national team. If a team doesn't use a designated 6, then that role has to be shared among all the CMs. Not many clubs play with box to box CMs.

11. Bob Ashpole replied, March 12, 2019 at 5:28 p.m.

Thanks WS. I see McKennie plays there for Schalke.

12. R2 Dad replied, March 12, 2019 at 5:51 p.m.

I would go 4-2-3-1 with Horvath/Gonzalez between the sticks, Brooks/Carter-Vickers as the CBs, Lima/Yedlin on the right,  Robinson/Villifana on the left. Adams/McKennie as the Dmids, Weah/Morris on the left, Pulisic/Johnson on the right with Zelalem/Saief as the AM. Sargent/Ramirez up top. This can ensure we can get the ball to the centerline on the ground, with players who have a decent touch.

Against CONCACAF (excluding Mexico: Booo & Canada:very polite) I would just play a bunch of MLS stiffs or NCAA kickballers to spite CONCACAF "management" who are OK with crappy refereeing, laughable playing surfaces, urine/throwing fans and the rest of the unacceptable nonsense that passes for soccer south of the border. We won't have to qualify in 2026, and they might push down the field of 48 to 2022 anyway.

13. Wooden Ships replied, March 13, 2019 at 12:34 a.m.

R2, you provide an interesting formation with players, hows that possible from a referee. Kidding, I remember you mentioning how ref’s are rarely consulted, when you’re on the field with the best view. I’m not a big fan of the lone striker, for me and I always played with a fellow striker, I feel it makes defending easier. Two causes more confusion and more likely to pressure quicker when losing possession. Also, with 4 in the back and two DM’s, it allows for too much complacency and an almost diffusion of responsibilty to go forward and create/be dangerous. Not that it’s called for much anymore, when we use to play the 4-4-2 players seemed to recognize and defend better, through rotating. More of a player freedom which is important. There seems to be too much tactical emphasis in the game today. It’s almost comical to see subs receive a lengthy explanation from an assistant or the manager as to what’s expected of them. We use to know without instruction with the exception being a formation shift and you relay that info to players upon entering. The US does this so much when their younger, it’s a wonder players can go on without a dry erase board.

14. Frans Vischer, March 12, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.

Omar Gonzalez?!!!!!! After that disaster in 2017 WCQ?!!! He especially was a disgrace. I don't ever want to see him in a US jersey! (Probably goes for half the team on that awful day...)

15. Ginger Peeler, March 12, 2019 at 5:57 p.m.

Sargent has a knack for being in the right place at the right time. I’m still left waiting to see him playing alongside Pulisic. I’ve noted before how I kept waiting to see Donovan and Dempsey play together. For a whole host of reasons, it very rarely happened.

16. Wooden Ships replied, March 13, 2019 at 12:46 a.m.

Agreed Ginger. Good to have you back. CP is like Landon was in some respects, in my view neither were best centrally but coming from a side and from a deeper position than a forward. Not seeing Deuce and Donnivan often perhaps prevented us from seeing some exciting scores but I’m afraid it would have highlighted how neither worked like they should have defending. You can get away with one not really defending but not two. I am disappointed JS isn’t on this roster as stated above. I go way back with US forwards and I don’t recall any better, Wynalda, Mathis, Deuce all after me and my cohort group. Gregg’s wrong on this. I don’t see Weah as effective but he should be there as well.

17. Craig Cummings, March 12, 2019 at 8:26 p.m.

Great to see Christian back with the USMNT. He can score goals.