Zlatan's farewell: 'I came, I saw, I conquered'

The Zlatan Ibrahimovic era in MLS is over.

After two seasons at the LA Galaxy, Ibrahimovic announced on Wednesday that he is leaving the club by mutual agreement.

He departs with 52 goals and 17 assists in two seasons during which he filled highlight reels with spectacular goals and the notebooks of reporters with memorable quotes, most about himself.

He was also a regular on the late-night talk show circuit, charming hosts with stories about himself.

Despite the 52 goals in 56 games, the Galaxy struggled for any consistency. It failed to make the 2018 playoffs and fell to LAFC in the Western Conference semifinals in 2019 after winning, 2-1, at Minnesota United in Round One.

Ibrahimovic was often a one-man show to the detriment of developing any rhythm within the Galaxy,  but he was worth ever penny for his ability to bring attention to the Galaxy in the face of new LAFC.

He scored twice in the MLS debut -- a 4-3 win against LAFC -- and also scored a hat trick in a 3-2 win over LAFC in 2019. The playoff loss was the first to LAFC in six games. The former Sweden international scored once in the game to finish with nine goals in the six meetings with LAFC.

The Galaxy was the ninth stop Ibrahimovic, who also has played for Manchester United, Paris St. Germain, AC Milan, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus, Ajax and Malmo.

Ibrahimovic is 38 and limited in terms of his mobility because of a knee injury suffered at Manchester United but he has not yet retired. He has been linked with Italian club Bologna as well as teams in Argentina, Brazil and Australia.
mls
22 comments about "Zlatan's farewell: 'I came, I saw, I conquered'".
  1. Tony Biscaia, November 14, 2019 at 9:34 a.m.

I would still rather have Ibra on my team than some other GOATs like say Messi who's never won anything other than praise from pundits and scored lots of goals your grandmother could have, except when playing for his country.

2. Tony Biscaia, November 14, 2019 at 9:40 a.m.

Here's an idea for an illuminating article: Why don't you interview former teamates of Messi and see how they feel about his "successes and celebrity" vs Ibra's?  You might be surprised.

3. frank schoon, November 14, 2019 at 9:41 a.m.

Thanks to the MLS/LA Galaxy for bringing Zlatan. The league needed him, his talent  He not only gave the US fans a look at what a great player can do and  gave the MLS a PR bonus. He no doubt brought more interest to the league, more fans to the stadium and more fans to watch soccer on tv. HE WAS THE TOTAL PACKAGE!! And most important of all he introduced FLAIR which is so needed in US soccer or in today's game.
    Us old guys, like Bob, Ships, Ric, Peter, and more grew up watching so many great players. Just think of the NASL, where you watched, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, George Best, Pele, Rensenbrink, van Hanegem, Gerd Muller, Cubillas, just to name a few. And there were even more the world enjoyed who didn't play in the NASL, the Dzajic, Keizer, Jimmy Johnstone, Garrincha, Law, Sekularic, DiStefano, Puskas and many, many more that gave a beauty and regalness to the game.... Us old guys were lucky to have seen or hear about all these great players for todays kids have never experienced such an abundance of stars than. Today you count on one hand or perhaps a few fingers great players. Now that Messi and Ronaldo are nearing retiring age what is really there to fill that void. For us old guys there was no void of stars ,they just kept coming, but today we have to scrape the barrel to find a star and Zlatan is one of those few left. Zlatan in the 50's, 60's or 70's would have been just another good player for he would to compete with likes of greater stars.

NEXT POST....

4. Tony Biscaia replied, November 14, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.

Frank, amen.  Neymar who?

5. Tony Biscaia replied, November 14, 2019 at 9:53 a.m.

Frank, amen.  Neymar who?

6. Michael Saunders replied, November 14, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.

Different world ......  Glad to have seen it and be part of it .... but as you say Frank, we do miss it

7. frank schoon replied, November 14, 2019 at 11:46 a.m.

Tony, Neymar in our days would have been third rate....sorry , I like Neymar but he couldn't wash Pele's jock....

8. Ric Fonseca replied, November 14, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.

So senor Ibra came, went to Disneyland, got his life-time oass for himself and family, and now says adios amigos!!!  Hmmmm!  I wonder if HE, el gran ibra, ever went to abaseball game, the Doyers, Angelitos, or maybe just watched some little league game?.  Good luck to your family back a over there!!!

9. Tony Biscaia, November 14, 2019 at 9:49 a.m.

And hey Paul Kennedy, I bet Ibra can still do lots of physical maneuvers you never could and never will but then again he can't write all that well, or bad.  It's not the keyboard, it's the brain behind it.  Reachout and touch me, depeche.

10. Tony Biscaia, November 14, 2019 at 9:56 a.m.

You forgot Eusebio my childhood idol but it wasn't the world's game yet back then

11. frank schoon replied, November 14, 2019 at 10:03 a.m.

Tony, don't get me started...ofcourse Eusebio

12. Tony Biscaia, November 14, 2019 at 10:25 a.m.

No problem Frank, depending on where/when you grew up those icon names will vary/change.  Which do you think will become today's youth equivalent?  Obvious names like Ronaldo and Messi but who else?

13. frank schoon replied, November 14, 2019 at 10:46 a.m.

Tony...the newer stars wiil not be like those older ones..I have not seen anyone come up as yet

14. Tony Biscaia, November 14, 2019 at 10:28 a.m.

I vote, outside my knowledge but based on humanitarian, SON.  He is one of the most and I think we all felt for him

15. frank schoon, November 14, 2019 at 10:44 a.m.

At 38 , in two years, Zlatan scored 52 goals along with 17 assists, in other words he  directly  and indirectly contributed to 70 goals. Not bad for an old guy who gave the fans at the same time a 'show' and flair. And then we have the usual local idiots who have no clue but complain, "well the Galaxy never won a championship with him so there !" Zlatan did his part in scoring and contributing to record amount of goals. I guess , Zlatan should have played goalie and in defense as well. He did his part and did it WELL with class but the rest of his team is unable to contribute to make a championship.  Personally I couldn't care less about the championship for I enjoyed the whole Zlatan "show" for those 2 seasons. Just think, 52 goals and 17 assists, he not only was a great goal scorer ,at his age, but he was a complete player by contributing with a large number of assists.

I hope he will write another book for I certainly enjoyed his first one. You watch Zlatan play, you will see a "street soccer" player on grass. Read his book and you will see basically learned in the streets his game and he joined an organized club ball in his late teen years. Watch him in what he does , he doesn't outrun anyone, he positions himself , SHIELDS the ball when he dribbles or upon receiving it, and watches for passing options. It is about as simple as it can be. And most importantly ,he is so CONFIDENT on the ball. This has all got to do with INDIVIDUALISM on the ball that he gained playing 'street, pickup' soccer, for everything he learned was in one on one setting.  NEXT POST

16. frank schoon, November 14, 2019 at 10:44 a.m.

He was so lucky that he wasn't introduced at a young age to organized club ball, where some idiot coach with a license telling to you" pass the ball, "don't dribble so much", "the ball should go there" and on.. And not to mention he wasn't introduced to these types of coaches who all follow the standard programmed training exercise, the "cookie cutter" approach to soccer which all coaches follow including the standard "jargon"...how pathetic it all sounds.

Look at what he does with the ball. If You think , what he learned came by the benefit of some licensed coach from his "cookie cutter' drills, that all coaches follow, than you don't understand the development of the individual player. The problem is that there is so little individuality on the ball due not having  "pickup" soccer as the greater basis of a youth development.

I"m sad today that Zlatan is gone ,not for me mind you,  for I've seen so many great players, but for the youth today who need to emulate the "FLAIR"  the INDIVIDUALITY, that so many of us old guys grew up watching and learned. Everything today is so boring, so "cookie cutter", that watching so many players today is like watching as we call it in Holland "grey mice" or "frankfurters' , they all look and play the same. They all follow the commands from the coaches from the sidelines, telling them what to do , where to go, hustle,etc....

Today's parents pay thousands of dollars to cookie cutter coaches, when in fact you don't need them, to learn this...Zlatan didn't, he did it on the cheap.....

17. David Richardson, November 14, 2019 at 11:12 a.m.

Frank-  Yes I agree that us old guys were lucky enough to see some of those stars and I have great memories of seeing them play against the Washington Diplomats and the Baltimore Bays/Comets.  Thanks to the NASL for bringing them in as well as to the exhibition tours that gave us the chance to see some of them.   We were able to see Pele play in Baltimore's Memorial Stadium.  After the game fans stormed the field and tore off all of his uniform.  He just walked around with big smile on his face.

18. frank schoon replied, November 14, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.

David , I don't know if you remember the Dips vs Cosmos. After closing my soccer store "Soccer World" , I went on to Kennedy stadium, as I walked in I looked around in the stadium and I didn't see one empty seat...I also saw Pele nutmeg Diplomats in succession....WHAT MEMORIES....

19. frank schoon replied, November 14, 2019 at 11:52 a.m.

Nutmegged 3 Diplomats in succession...

20. Bob Ashpole, November 14, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.

What is the difference between Ibra and the average couch potato soccer dad down the street?

Ibra's play matches his boasts.

21. Tony Biscaia, November 14, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.

Missing comment is, where is he next?

22. frank schoon, November 14, 2019 at 1:56 p.m.

Hey ,Guys, WC U17 is on 2:30 EST . Holland vs Mexico...FS2.