What They're Saying: Megan Rapinoe

"I can’t believe it is not mandatory to vote. You should have to vote as a citizen. I’ve endorsed Elizabeth Warren in the primaries. Whoever the [Democratic Party] candidate is they have 100 percent backing from me in whatever way I can be impactful. There are a million ways people can support. Just getting people to vote and understanding how important the census is for the next 10 years of people’s lives, which will affect a whole generation. It’s all of our responsibility to do that. People think it is so much more of a burden than it actually is. You don’t have to spend 20 hours a week to have an impact on the election. If you have the money, you can donate. You can donate your time, you can canvass. You can spread the word. Educate and inform yourself. Being an informed citizen is the first step, and that is so much more impactful than being an uninformed citizen."

-- Megan Rapinoe on dipping her toe into politics during the 2020 president election. Rapinoe spoke at the Watermark Conference for Women Silicon Valley, drawing 6,500 women. (San Jose Mercury-News)
7 comments about "What They're Saying: Megan Rapinoe".
  1. Wooden Ships, February 15, 2020 at 8:39 a.m.

Mandate voting? We've got people that don't even approach basic understandings of our system of governance. By all means let's keep increasing a central government and being told what we must do-ha. Megan will you agree to voter ID then? I'm ready for you to go into politics and I'll even donate to your transition.

2. Ric Fonseca replied, February 15, 2020 at 3:49 p.m.

My hat is off to Ms. Rapinoe!  I've been teaching US History at the college level (even though my principal area of expertise is Mexican and Latin American Mexican American (Chicano) history) and having said this, I agree with Mr. WS, and can categorically say that the students that sign up for my course, have only the pathetically smallest of smallest idea of the history of this vast country.  For example, I taught a winter five week session, that conicided with the recent political happenings - impeachment proceedings - and it was extremely disappointing to note that only two or three students knew what was going on (out a class of 43) while others were gleefully - yes!!! - ignorant and couldn't care less. Yet, and yes we could mandate voting, like they do in other countries and hold national election day on a Sunday - like Mexico does - have the government issue a "national voting card" (yeah, right!!!) and one must have one in order to apply for a passport, driver's license, etc.

Still, Ms. Rapinoe has a very valid and interesting point, one that needs to be spread and resonate throughout the country, and like Mr. WS, I will support her if she so transitions into the sometimes considered ugly "p" word, go into politics.

3. John DiFiore, February 15, 2020 at 9:53 p.m.

Oh Lord...  Does she not have any idea how ignorant the majority of Americans are?  Or is she aware, and that's why she wants them to vote.

4. Mark Zylker, February 17, 2020 at 12:42 p.m.

Shame on you Soccer America.  We don't need to have reports about politics or the political system in you articles!  Isn't it bad enough that our country is terribly divided.  Sometimes we read soccer articles to get away from all the BS in the news media.  Her platform is soccer and is where it should be while she is still playing.  When she retires and runs for office we don't need to hear about that from Soccer America either.

Soccer, Soccer, Soccer and nothing else please
    Mark Z

5. Ian Plenderleith replied, February 18, 2020 at 8:03 a.m.

Soccer while the earth burns around us. Soccer on flooded fields. Soccer in Qatar where FIFA's stadiums are being built on slave labor and death. Main thing, soccer! Stick your fingers in your ears and yell, "Soccer!"

6. Bob Ashpole replied, February 18, 2020 at noon

Ian, stepping back from the social commentary for a minute, that has to be one of your best writings. Poetry, not prose. Well said.

7. Bob Ashpole, February 18, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.

I don't mind editorials on any subject. Editorials are very much an American tradition and an important one at that.

What I also want is continued reporting about the sport that I love. If you don't like editorials, don't read them. That is very much an American tradition too.