Tweet du jour: Donald Trump

"I won’t be watching much anymore!"

-- President Donald Trump in response to Florida Republican congressman Matt Gaetz, who says he is drafting legislation compelling U.S. Soccer to reverse the decision of its board on Tuesday repealing Policy 604-1, which requires players and staff to stand respectfully for the national anthem. (@realDonaldTrump)
8 comments about "Tweet du jour: Donald Trump".
  1. Santiago 1314, June 14, 2020 at 3:38 p.m.

DITTO; If They Kneel, i'll Change the Channel
    The Legislation is a "Dead End", SCOTUS says you can Burn the Flag.
    What is the Difference between Kneeling and Burning.!?!?!?
    Voting with Your Clicks and Dollars is the only thing that will Motivate OWNERS to Tell "Employee's"
    NOT to do Something that Offends the Customers.!!!

2. Brian Cameron, June 14, 2020 at 5:42 p.m.

It's called free speech and it's protecting in the First Amendment in our Constitution. A player has the right to protest by kneeling during the anthem and you have the right to change the channel, just as a citizen has the right to burn the flag and you have the right to fly it. It's not more complicated than that.

3. Santiago 1314 replied, June 14, 2020 at 11:10 p.m.

Brian & Diego...Nobody has a "Right" to Protest, at their Private place of Employment... try it at Your Job and see what happens... 1st Amendment protects your Right to Protest against the Govt... The BoD Of USSF Just gave them the Right,... It's Obvious the BoD has the Power to Limit the Employees "Right" to Speech, as None Of The Players SUED the Federation when it Passed 604-1.

4. Ken Fadner replied, June 15, 2020 at 1:07 p.m.

U.S. Sooner recently have the players this right.

5. Bob Ashpole replied, June 18, 2020 at 12:06 a.m.

Santiago, it isn't that simple. Instead of one bright line, the situation is complicated.

What I would say is that private companies may chose whether or not to maintain a public forum. Many, however, do have public forums. Then there is also today's complication with internet access, telephones (personal and business phones), email and social media. As if old fashioned bulliteen boards weren't enough of a problem.

6. Diego Castro, June 14, 2020 at 10:12 p.m.

Sure they have a right, but it is a really bad idea. US Soccer, pro soccer leagues, Soccer America should stay away from politics and focus on the game. The NFL can probably survive losing a significant portion of its fan base. Soccer cannot afford to do that. Anyone who has been in the sport in this country for the past 50 years understands how precarious it all is and how easily we could lose the incredible gains we have made. Take your virtue signaling and political crusades somewhere else and leave the game alone.

7. Santiago 1314 replied, June 15, 2020 at 12:41 p.m.

Perdon San Diego(Santiago), your other Post is Gone... Can't remember exactly what you said; but, I stand by my Point... You, I, Anyone... Do NOT have the "Right" to Protest in a Private Place of Employment... I agree that the Federation can "Give" them the Ability to do whatever the BoD decides/allows and THEY Have, AND It's a "BAD" idea to Protest during the National Anthem of the US NATIONAL TEAM... (Why we play the National Anthem at MLS or MLB or NFL escapes me.???)... I wouldn't mind "Awareness" Raising by wearing a George Floyd shirt under the National Team Shirt and And ALL Players Whipping it Off after scoring a Goal... or Kneel like Marcelo did when he scored for Real Madrid this weekend... At this Stage, there are Lot's of ways to make awareness of Illegal Police Treatment of Black Men in America and The World, more UNIFYING, and Less Divisive...I, am Not Virtue Signaling(Where ever the HiLL that comes from???)  or Being Political... I too have Spent MANY Years in Developing Soccer in this Country(Including with the US National Team and Stood for the National Anthem as 50,000 fans Booed USa) ... and I Hate to see a BackLash against an already Fragile USSF Situation.... By the Way, It's hypocritical of you to say, that "They" can have "Rights" to Freedom of Speech, but you want to "Shut Down" my Freedom of Speech and have me "Take my Political Crusade" Somewhere Else.??? Non-Sensical, Illogical and CHAZ thought Control.!!!... I am not on a Political Crusade on this Site...  Politically, i agree with the Peaceful Protesters(Not Rioters)(And it's Not really Political, it's Equal Human Rights) ... You have Protests in UK and France for the SAME Issue... Will our Players KNEEL during the Anthems of UK and France, to show Solidarity with Blacks in those Countries.???...NO, they will Show "Respect" for their National Anthem, but Not ours.!?!?!? again.. Illogical, and Hypocritical...How about when Players from Mexico or Russia or China Kneel down during the playing of OUR National Anthem.???... You OK with That.!?!?!?... Let's keep the Kneeling out of National Anthems.!!!

8. Tom G, June 15, 2020 at 11:18 p.m.

it's entertainment. It's the wrong place for political n other statements. Expressing an  opinion certainly has its place but not at a game. There's plenty opportunities to express your opinion. Take it somewhere else. Don't you realize once It's allowed  it will never stop N will increase in duration frequency and intensity and completely detract from what you're there to do - enjoy your game. If it happens i am considering given up my MLS season tickets of 25 years and sky blue season tickets n wonder if I'm going to see a Natl soccer game again.