Reggie Cannon parlays FC Dallas success into move to Portugal's Boavista

After just two full seasons as a starter, Reggie Cannon parlayed his development at FC Dallas and the U.S. national team into a move to Portugal's Boavista.

Cannon was part of FC Dallas teams that won Development Academy national championships at the U-16/17 level in 2015 and 2016 seasons. He played his freshman season at UCLA, then signed a Homegrown Player deal and was part of the U-18/19 team that won the 2017 Dallas Cup Gordon Jago Super Group, making FC Dallas the only MLS academy team to ever do so.

A year later, Cannon broke into the FC Dallas starting lineup at right back. By the end of the regular season, he earned his first call-up to the national team. In 2019, he started for the USA at the Gold Cup. Cannon is one of three European-based players fighting for the starting right back job on the national team along with Sergino Dest (Ajax) and DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United), who both might be changing clubs.

“This club has given me so many amazing memories,” said Cannon. “Going from the academy to the first team, it’s really one of the best experiences I could have ever imagined. I’m really excited for this opportunity. I thank Luchi Gonzalez, I thank the club, I thank the staff, Oscar Pareja for giving me that first chance to play -- everyone who has given me the opportunity to get to the next level.”

Boavista, which is based in Porto, won the Portuguese Primeira Liga in 2001 and finished second in 2002, but it has struggled since then. It finished 12th in the 18-team league in 2019-20.

Boavista reportedly paid $3 million for Cannon. Luxembourg businessman Gerard Lopez, who owns French club Lille, has an option to buy a majority interest in Boavista with the intention of using it as a feeder system for Lille, one of Europe's top selling clubs.

The 2020-21 Primeira Liga season kicks off on Sept. 18. Boavista opens the next day at promoted Nacional on the island of Madeira.
16 comments about "Reggie Cannon parlays FC Dallas success into move to Portugal's Boavista".
  1. Scott Chaney, September 10, 2020 at 7:56 a.m.

Good riddance Cannon. And take all your disrespectful lame kneeling buddies with you!!

2. Ken Fadner replied, September 10, 2020 at 2:14 p.m.

You are entitled to your opinion Scott, but most Americans support players kneeling. So better get used to that or go elsewhere for your sporting entertainment.

3. frank schoon replied, September 10, 2020 at 4:04 p.m.

Ken ,I don't know if most fans support athletes kneeling but bringing in your leftwing pollster as prove, I don't think really clears up the air.....

4. Wooden Ships replied, September 10, 2020 at 4:40 p.m.

Ken, I'll ask you. By what measure will the kneeling cease?

5. Santiago 1314 replied, September 10, 2020 at 9:27 p.m.

@Ken...WaPo.???... hahaha... People are Lying to the Pollsters, or the Questions are being Phrased in a "Leading" Manner... As you will see on Nov. 3rd... If the Polls are so Overwhelming, How come only 1 NFL Player KNELT during the National Anthem tonight,... It was their Biggest Chance to make a Statement... And they CHOKED IT.!!!

6. frank schoon, September 10, 2020 at 11:17 a.m.

$3million??? Even Pele is still worth that much today!

I don't know what Cannon thinks he's going to accomplish other than to say, "Yeah, I'm playing in Europe too". This is not about Cannon but about soccer agents looking to make a buck in the near future...possibly, maybe, who knows...If you thinks this will be great for Cannon...will see in another year.....

7. Phil Love replied, September 10, 2020 at 11:26 a.m.

I'd bet he'll make much more money at Boavista than at FC Dallas.  Lille in France has a connection to Boavista.  Reggie's move to Boavista could be a step on his way to Lille then Bundesliga or EPL.  Then again maybe he just comes back to MLS in a couple years when his career stalls in Portugal with his bank account in better shape and with the experience of living in Europe.

8. frank schoon replied, September 10, 2020 at 1:04 p.m.

Phil, is that what this is all about- MONEY. You mean  when reading the SA the main thrust is how much our players will be making when they get to Europe or is it rather how  they will fare, will they learn and develop becoming a better player to improve our player pool .

9. Peter Bechtold replied, September 10, 2020 at 10:02 p.m.

Reply to Frank, about the Washington Post being "leftwing": I believe that you live in the Capital area and must know that the WaPo is owned by the richest man on earth, Jeff Bezos, the ultimate capitalist ,CEO of Amazon who devour everything in their path. How could he possibly be leftist..come'on.

10. frank schoon replied, September 11, 2020 at 8:07 a.m.

Peter, yes, I do live in the Capital area and I've cancelled my subscription to the Post a long time ago because it is not a balanced paper but very left wing oriented.  I would expect a better form of rational coming from a professor than this level of sophistry of how can the WaPo be leftwing when Bezos is a capitalist? I got news for you but there are plenty of people who are rich and are leftwing. You'll find a lot of them in the Democratic party and in New York, especially in Manhattan, and on the West Coast....Open your eyes and get out of that college campus bubble.

If you don't believe the WaPo is not slanted leftwing than all I can say is have a nice day and enjoy reading your LA Times , WaPo and New York Times...

11. humble 1, September 10, 2020 at 11:58 a.m.

Thanks for the update. Portugal is an interesting choice.  Few American's take that route - but - it is a proven pathway for sure.  Learn portuguese as fast  as you can - will serve you well.  Best of luck to Reggie.  Onward!

12. Peter Bechtold, September 10, 2020 at 2:51 p.m.

Fully expected a move overseas after the way he was treated by hometown fans at the opener past MIB. Thx for the update.

13. uffe gustafsson, September 10, 2020 at 5:36 p.m.

wooden ships when police stop shooting citizens to death, especially black men.
    police force got to Weed out these trigger happy officers.

14. Wooden Ships replied, September 10, 2020 at 6:31 p.m.

It's that simple huh?

15. humble 1, September 11, 2020 at 1 p.m.

I was at the RSL LAFC game the other night - for the Anthem - some players were standing some where kneeling, some were arms around shoulders standing.  All the fans were standing. No booing no yelling.  LAFC started three young Uruguayans, they don't even know our national anthem.  Most of the people in line for food were speaking to one-another in portuguese or spanish.  All fans stood for the national anthem.  It was all good. Again, wishing Reggie and all our boys abroad all the best in their endeavors.

16. Peter Bechtold replied, September 11, 2020 at 2:49 p.m.

Thanks for sharing this piece of good news.