What They're Saying: Brian Schmetzer

"It didn't affect the way we train. Because look, with the games coming so close, the training has been very light. But as a human being, and as someone who lives on this Planet Earth, people better take notice that climate change is happening. And if people can't see it, well then I think they need to .... they're crazy. Because it's happening."

-- Seattle Sounders head coach Brian Schmetzer, after the Sounders' 7-1 win over San Jose, on whether his players' practices had been impacted by the poor air quality in the Northwest. Fires have ranged up and down the West Coast, raising the air quality index to dangerous levels. Saturday's nationally televised game between the Portland Thorns and OL Reign in the NWSL fall series was postponed due to concerns about the air quality.
mls
13 comments about "What They're Saying: Brian Schmetzer".
  1. Mike Anderson, September 11, 2020 at 6:22 a.m.

Because there are fires during California's fire season does not make global warming. Where I live, it was about 30° cooler than normal yesterday. It has been cooler than normal for years. Shall I lecture everyone saying global cooling is real and if you don't believe it you're crazy because...weather? Enough political comment from football managers!

2. Victor Mathseon replied, September 11, 2020 at 12:43 p.m.

Sir, this is an Arby's.

3. :: SilverRey :: replied, September 11, 2020 at 2:09 p.m.

" Where I live, it was about 30° cooler than normal yesterday. It has been cooler than normal for years" = Climate Change

4. Mike Anderson replied, September 11, 2020 at 2:26 p.m.

No, it = weather. Please give it a rest

5. Bob Ashpole replied, September 14, 2020 at 4:14 a.m.

Mike, the problem with your view is evident in "Enough political comment". Certain people today politicize everything. Disease is not a political issue. Weather is not a political issue. Science and medicine are not political issues.

Regarding global warming, Arizona had the hottest July ever this year followed by the hottest August ever. Don't come to Arizona and try to pitch that Global Warming is "Fake News" in person. Yet is it isn't the temperative of any specific day or month that is scientifically signivicant. It is the trends. The trend has been "warming" for decades and not just in Arizona.

6. Wooden Ships, September 11, 2020 at 3:01 p.m.

Maybe check in with the logging industry. Agreed Mike, disappointed SA doesn't miss a chance to inject their agenda. Have never seen what might be considered a conservative or alternate view.

7. uffe gustafsson, September 11, 2020 at 5:22 p.m.

Let's see LA area 120 degrees
    bay area hit high with 113 degrees
    this is the second heat wave with record high heat waves. And every year we seem to get these spikes and hotter each time. Not sure what conservative have to do with it. It's real and we feel it.
    right now the air quality is in the dangerous level.

8. Wooden Ships replied, September 11, 2020 at 10:01 p.m.

It's a progressive platform/mantra Uffe.

9. uffe gustafsson, September 11, 2020 at 11:28 p.m.

Sorry but it's reality to us. Not a political issue but reality. It's your reality that nothing is wrong but my realty is we got some problems and logging is not the answer nor are raking the forest. Those are ignorant of how things work. Why is North Pole ice cap dissapeaering answer that then you are 30 degrees under normal and that's also an issue it's not just heat but wily changing temperature around the world.
    i believe in real science and the world is heating up especially since the industrial evolution.
    those are real number not for just a year or two.
    but for a cpl of centuries.

10. frank schoon replied, September 13, 2020 at 12:49 p.m.

Uffe, the world has been heating up since the last Ice Age...Wonder what caused that????

11. uffe gustafsson, September 11, 2020 at 11:36 p.m.

Actually let me make it a simple as possible.
    i grew up in Sweden born 1958.
    at Christmas my wish for new skies since I mostly ruined my old ones. I be out skiing next day in heavy snow, middle of Sweden. Today they have no snow pack at Christmas but later in January they get snow.
    it was un heard of a green Christmas when I grow up.
    if that don't tell u that something is going on then I'm at lost of words for you.

12. Wooden Ships replied, September 12, 2020 at 12:04 a.m.

Not disputing what you say and born before you. My point is more along the lines of what do you propose? To my knowledge the cycles of climate fluctuations go back millinea. Not convinced the Industrial Age is the culprit. Let's say it is, now what. Think we can go back to the agrarian era? Tell China, India, er al, to cut it out. We can't go green rapidly. I guess we can get emotional and conduct ourselves irrationally, which is in keeping with the times. Coach Schmetzer, I guess wants us to do something, anything. Uffe I hope you're safe, I know a lot aren't. We will overcome.

13. Bob Ashpole replied, September 14, 2020 at 4:29 a.m.

Wooden Ships, If you really want answers to your questions they have been available for over 10 years. I recommend that you start with a classic; "Fixing Climate: What Past Climate Changes Reveal about the Current Threat- and How to Counter it." By Robert Kunzig and Wallace S. Broecker. The late Professor Broecker was considered the leading expert on climate science, the grandfather of climate science. This field is advancing swiftly, so don't stop with that book. Follow up with some more recent books.