What They're Saying: Francesca Yanchuk

“It’s crazy. I might go for a header, and I’ll go, ‘Wait, I can’t do that.' You have to take a step back and reset your mind.”

-- Francesca Yanchuk, a Villanova-bound senior forward at Bishop Feehan High School on the soccer rule changes implemented by the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. They include no physical contact, no headers, no slide tackles, no throw-ins. There are also no walls or close marking on free kicks because "social-distancing" is required on restarts. The new rules have been beneficial to forwards like Yanchuk, who has scored 10 goals through three matches. (New York Times)
mls
6 comments about "What They're Saying: Francesca Yanchuk".
  1. Wallace Wade, October 13, 2020 at 7:49 a.m.

Yes! It is crazy....you know what else, it's not soccer! It's also going to have detrimental effects on your play down the road. You would be better off not playing

2. Wooden Ships replied, October 13, 2020 at 8:47 a.m.

Agree mostly, not sure how detrimental though. Treat it like a training session with limits. Like most thing, I would go with what the players might prefer. To play or not to play. I do like no slide tackling, too much reliance upon that in the states.

3. Willliam Taylor, October 13, 2020 at 12:48 p.m.

Totally Ridiculous rules made by adults with no scientific background or data to show that any of this makes sense whatsoever... We have other parts of the country where the virus is just as prevalent if not more so and they are playing full competition and there are no outbreaks from the soccer field… Kids moving around in open air who are the least risk causing the spread of the virus is a crazy concept... I agree if I were a kid being forced to play by social distancing rules would rather play street ball with my friends...

4. Wooden Ships replied, October 13, 2020 at 5:50 p.m.

Agreed William. I wasn't going to touch the subject of leadership on any given locale. Nor, the less than absolute virtue of science.

5. John Soares, October 13, 2020 at 6:24 p.m.

...and what genius came up with these "rules"
    Please tell me it was not a "soccer person"

6. Bob Ashpole, October 15, 2020 at 1:16 a.m.

What else would you expect from high school soccer? It isn't run by soccer people. Their rules never made sense.