Video Pick: Pele's 80th birthday special

To celebrate his 80th birthday on Friday, Pele, with the help of flamenco nuevo guitarists Rodrigo and Gabriela, released his new version of song “Acredito No Véio” (Listen to the Old Man), which appeared on Pele's 2006 album.

"I’ve written many books, I’ve scored many goals, I’ve fathered children, I’ve planted many trees," Pele said. "The only thing that’s lacking is a musical memento of my life.”

The video is a mix animation and real Pele playing highlights.

This mini-doc from FIFA includes brilliant Pele World Cup highlights and off-field footage, starting with 1958 tournament in Sweden, where the Brazilian, at age 17, first dazzled the world.

Pele played a major role in popularizing soccer in the USA by playing for the NASL's Cosmos in 1975-77. He scored 37 goals (regular season and playoffs), made 30 assists, and won the 1977 Soccer Bowl.

Soccer America columnist Paul Gardner served as scriptwriter and technical advisor on “Pele: the Master and his Method,” the 1973 that Amazon Prime Video bills it as "the best and most comprehensive soccer instructional video ever produced."

11 comments about "Video Pick: Pele's 80th birthday special".
  1. frank schoon, October 23, 2020 at 9:09 a.m.

Thank You PELE! for EVERYTHING...Although there were 2 other great world stars Distefano and Puskas somehow it all began with you ,for you were the transistion in to the modern game. You gave so much 'inspiration', hero worship, to so many of us who would drive hundreds of miles, spend lots of money or stand in front of a store window for 2hours to watch you 'PERFORM' .You were the Rembrandt of soccer who made the most difficult movements so simple...

It was you that gave the needed boost for soccer to be where it is today. Even today, we still use you as a comparison to other players...but unfortunately are light years from your abilities...
    One can't count how much joy have given to sooooo much to so many in all cultures. I remember there wasn't a dry eye as you ran around the field saying your goodbyes to the game.....

You made the #10 the favorite number, immemorial, for all players to wear even today. Actually ,saying you want to wear#10 ,just say ,I"ll wear PELE...and it's understood.

2. Nick Gabris replied, October 23, 2020 at 11:56 a.m.

Well said Frank! Great memories! The true GOAT of all time!

3. Kevin Leahy, October 23, 2020 at 12:04 p.m.

You nailed it Frank!

4. Nick Gabris, October 23, 2020 at 12:12 p.m.

To borrow from Ali,  "floats like a butterfly, stings like a bee".

5. James Mcalister, October 23, 2020 at 12:35 p.m.

I had the pleasure of playing against Pele in the 1977 soccer bowl. Absolute class player and individual. Big reason why the game is where it's at today in America. Those early fans to the great game were given a real treat.

6. Alvaro Bettucchi, October 23, 2020 at 1:44 p.m.

No words are strong enough, for what Pele did for the game of Soccer, especially in the United States. Not only as a player, but has a humble, sensitive individual.  He is bless by the Gods!

7. Ric Fonseca, October 23, 2020 at 3:30 p.m.

Almost a few months over 26 years ago, both my wife and I first met, el Gran Master Pele when the Cosmos came to Los Angeles to play against the Aztecs.  It happened at a reception and I went as a "correspondent" for Soccer America, and of course I had to make the rounds, meeting up with other Cosmos notable players, but my wife was very fortunate indeed to get a photo with O Rei Pele, that he graciously authographed and is hanging in our study.  But it did not end there because a few years later, he returned to L.A. and both our kids, were fortunate again to get a group photo  with the Rei Pele, and even later on my daughter was fortunate to be appointed Pele's "assistant" when he was in a press booth at the L.A. Coliseum together with former L.A. Mayor Tom Bradley.  So a very fondest of birthday wishes and many more to come, from the Fonseca family (Ric, Carmen, Tito & Michelle) in Los Angeles, California!!!

8. Santiago 1314, October 23, 2020 at 10:36 p.m.

Pele is one of the Most Wonderful, Genuine Persons you could ever meet……The First time we met, He was doing a Promo Event at a US National Team Game…In the Morning, He made an Appearance at a School, There were, of Course Hundreds of Kids and Pro Players there…He was so Gracious and Unpretentious, and he Let EVERYONE MOB him and Take Pictures and he Signed COUNTLESS Autographs…After about 2 hours he was Still Smiling and Patting Kids on the Head…But the best part was seeing the Look in the Eyes of Pro Players (some Big Timers) Who instantly became 12 years Old Again…The Smiles on their Faces, the Spring in their Step and the Awe on their Lips was JUST LIKE THE KIDS…Each One of them Awkwardly Nudging in, to get a Picture with the GREATEST of ALL TIME…That is the Effect that Pele has on People…Later that day, I was Tasked with Coordinating a Two Hour Autograph Event before the Game…People had Bought a Time Slot to Get Pictures and Autographs with Pele…I had to get some of my High School Kids and Help Run these Groups through the Line…After THREE hours, we had made it through the Last Group…Hot and Tired, Pele’s Handlers were trying to Wisk him Away…The High School kids I had Brought, had not gotten to Meet or Greet Pele…When I Pointed this out to Pele, He Broke back through the Handlers, to Sit down with the Players and Take Pictures and Sign Autographs with each of them>>>>

9. Santiago 1314 replied, October 23, 2020 at 10:38 p.m.

Next time was another National Team event, this time a Presser…He remembered me from those 5 hours and the Fact that, as Gringo as I look, My Castilian Spanish is Excellent…Again to see Media and National Team Players Completely Spellbound and in Awe was something to behold…Must have been a couple years later, and I am hanging out in with the Familia in Madrid and I see in The Marca, that Pele is going to be at So and So Hotel to do some Promotion for Puma…I put on one of my US Soccer Polos and went on down to the Hotel…Nobody at the Hotel had any Clue He was coming…He walked into the Lobby and there was NO ONE to Greet Him!?!?!?…We just stood there Looking at each other….NO one else in the Lobby but us!!!…He recognized me and was Dumb Founded…And then he remembered my Spanish Background and we just stood there talking for about 20/30 minutes…People walked by us with the Most Quizzical Look on their face… “Esto es Pele, No?” “No, No Puede Ser” “Si, Si es El y El Otro es Cruijff, No?” (and the other Guy is Cruyff??)(I get mistaken for Cruijff Quite a bit, But that’s a Story for another time)…Anyway, I digress…Finally somebody from Puma showed up and Whisked him off to Wherever he was supposed to be…Some 40 years ago, he already looked like a man of 70…I Imagined the Punishment he took every game…Glad to see that he is Still With Us… A Truly Great Man, A True Ambassador of LOVE…AND He is THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME.!!!

10. Santiago 1314 replied, October 23, 2020 at 10:44 p.m.

Feliz Cumpleaños O'Rei.!!!

11. frank schoon replied, October 24, 2020 at 8:30 a.m.

Santiago, mentioning about looking like Cruyff... As I was vacationing in Holland , my wife and I went over to visit Cruyff's mom. As I knocked on the door, two young girls looked through the front door window and yelled , "it's uncle Johan".  The two young girls happen To be kids of Hennie Cruyff , Johan's brother.   We must look very similar :)