Phil Neville is reunited with David Beckham as head coach in Inter Miami

After hiring Uruguayan Diego Alonso, who had experience coaching in Uruguay, Paraguay and Mexico, for its first season, Inter Miami has gone in a different direction for 2021.

England women's national team coach Phil Neville was hired as its head coach. He was supposed to step down after coaching Team Great Britain at the 2020 Olympics, but he had agreed to stay on after the Olympics were pushed back to 2021.

Neville has no top-flight experience as a coach on the men's side, but he has one important quality. He came of age as part of Manchester United's golden generation in the 1990s along with, among others, Inter Miami co-owner David Beckham.

“I am very happy with the leadership group we have established to lead the team," said Beckham, "as we turn the page following our inaugural season and look forward to having Chris and Phil join us soon. I have known Phil since we were both teenagers at the Manchester United academy. We share a footballing DNA having been trained by some of the best leaders in the game, and it’s those values that I have always wanted running through our club."

Inter Miami also hired Chris Henderson as chief soccer officer and sporting director. The former U.S. international (79 caps) has been sporting director at the Seattle Sounders for the last 13 years and earned a reputation as one of the MLS's best recruiter of talent. He will be in charge of all Inter Miami soccer operations.

"We as owners are committed to giving Phil and Chris the tools they need to develop a sustainable winning soccer culture that delivers consistent performance on the field," said Inter Miami managing owner Jorge Mas. "As we enter the 2021 season, Phil and Chris are an integral part of the vision that drives us.”

mls
8 comments about "Phil Neville is reunited with David Beckham as head coach in Inter Miami".
  1. Bob Ashpole, January 19, 2021 at 5:24 a.m.

MLS is a whole different kind of animal than the English leagues. I hope he can adjust to MLS, because I think that he will be a great coach.

2. Stephen Selby, January 19, 2021 at 7:38 a.m.

While not a head coach, Neville has experience as assistant coach at top flight men's teams Man United and Valencia.

3. Wallace Wade, January 19, 2021 at 8:30 a.m.

Yea, how did he do at Valencia??? He will survive for at least 1 season at Miami

4. Wooden Ships replied, January 19, 2021 at 10:01 a.m.

I tend to lean your way Wallace, hope I'm wrong as I wish all to have success. It's not nepotism, but feels like it with Phil. The other noticeable wonder is style of play and player recruitment. Yes, Chris was effective in Seattle, but with both their in the midst of a predominately Latin atmosphere in Miami (south Florida). Was Alonso too Latin? Reminds me of what Atlanta had going during Tata's tenure.

5. Eric Anderson, January 19, 2021 at 11:08 a.m.

To me, Henderson is the key part of this announcement.

6. Craig Cummings, January 19, 2021 at 8:32 p.m.

2 great hires. I remember refing chris at his high school games and UCLA  days. UCLA had so many GREAT  players  back then, it was just great to ref those  players. Really now looking back  at those games, what a great time. We could go on and on about all the GREAT players  UCLA  had over those years. Just ask Ric.

7. Wooden Ships replied, January 19, 2021 at 9:32 p.m.

Haven't read a Ric post in awhile, hope all is well with him.

8. Grant Goodwin, January 20, 2021 at 2:47 p.m.

I don't know what Miami expected in its first year...especially considering the stop and start nature of the season.  I think Diego Alonso is a solid coach, and he will prove that at his next stop.  Everything with this club has been a mess, and i don't know why they would not want to build on their first season which seemed to get better as the season progressed.  Is this the beginning of too much owner interference?