Alex Morgan is excited to be example for other soccer moms

Alex Morgan moved into fifth place on the U.S. national team's all-time scoring list, past the great Michelle Akers, when she scored her 108th career goal in the 6-0 win over Argentina to conclude the SheBelieves Cup.

The goal was the first for the USA since she scored the winning goal in the 2-1 win over England in the 2019 Women's World Cup semifinals in Lyon.

"To say it's been a long time was like an understatement," she said after the game. "It's been over 500 days, so you guys don't have to sugarcoat it."

It's actually a lot longer than that: 603 days between international goals.

But to Morgan, the goal had a greater importance. It was the first she scored since she took time off last year for the birth of her first child, Charlie Elena Carrasco.

"I'm very excited to get my first goal back with the national team and join the list of moms on the team who have scored goals and played as a national team player," she said. "I just want to be an example for other female athletes who are moms or wants to become moms, knowing that they still belong in the game after they have kids. You can be a mom and still be at the top of your game. I want to continue to show that and tonight was the first step of that."

Morgan, 31, returned to action last fall, playing five games for English club Tottenham and starting for the USA in its 2-0 win over the Netherlands. But after returning home for the holidays, she contracted COVID-19, which kept her out of the national team's camp in January.

Her three outings at the SheBelieves Cup -- 26, 70 and 45 minutes -- were her first in two months.

"I'm feeling pretty good, actually, physically," she said. "I feel like I'm getting my legs underneath me. I got 70 or so minutes the other night. It was a transition game and I felt at times I was trying to catch my breath, but looking at the numbers, I had a lot of running in that game and I was happy with kind of the way that I've progressed. I still don't feel like I'm 100 percent, I feel like I'm 99 [percent] or so. I'm getting there. My timing needs to get better. My instincts need to get better, but I think that will come with like a month straight of team training. I really haven't been in a team environment since December."

Morgan is in her third cycle with the national team, bursting on the international scene in 2011 at the World Cup in Germany and becoming a star the next year at the Olympics, where she matched Christine Sinclair and scored a hat trick in the USA's epic 4-3 win over Canada in the semifinals at Manchester United's Old Trafford.

She knows how hard it is to go from a World Cup, where rosters are 23 players, to the Olympics, where rosters consist of 18 players (plus four alternates). That process of cutting the U.S. roster down by five players is made even more difficult with the current team, whose unbeaten streak is 37 games, dating back to its opening game in 2019.

"I think it's always extremely difficult to go from a World Cup roster of 23 to an Olympic roster of 18," Morgan said. "We now have had an extra year, so there has been even more players that have been added to the mix."

She doesn't envy new coach Vlatko Andonovski, whose record with the national team is now 16-0-0.

"He has an incredibly difficult job to do coming up," Morgan added, "but as you can see, he's taking a look at multiple players and I'm glad I got some time to get significant minutes in this tournament."

Robin Alam/Icon Sportswire

10 comments about "Alex Morgan is excited to be example for other soccer moms".
  1. John Bauman, February 25, 2021 at 7:05 a.m.

It is really a shame that when our women did such a great job, thier managers wore clothing that would indicate that they support an organization that wants to destroy the government that pays many of thier bills.  They couldn't even acknowledge that they have anything to do with the United States.  Their jackets show that they support "Black Lives Matter" instead of wearing clothing that supports getting rid of racism as is done they do, dso well, in the Primier League.  I couldn't figure out what the other printing on thier jackets which read "STATES" was supposed to indicate? They all seemed to bein various STATES of confusion about which country they support.  Perhaps that was it?

2. John Polis replied, February 25, 2021 at 10:46 a.m.

Agree. "black lives matter" as a slogan for US Soccer and other sports organizations needs to go. I like what the English Premier league has done. "No room for racism" is the slogan. If organizations feel they must speak out on race, the EPL slogan is much more poignant and clear-eyed, plus it's not connected with an extremely controversial organization that many people in the United States do not support. US Soccer's knee-jerk reaction in putting black lives matter on the front of it's warm up uniforms, like the actions of many other companies and organizations, was ill advised to begin with. Time to turn the page. Get creative. If you must make a statement (and I continue to question whether any sports organization needs to go this route), then come up with a new slogan That everyone can get behind.

3. uffe gustafsson replied, February 25, 2021 at 10:01 p.m.

Oh please get off that crap.
    the one who wanted to destroy our government was the mega hats on January 6
    the BLM are a world wide phenomena that want to erease discrimination, how about the bananas thrown at black players in Europe and Russia.
    how good have "erase racism" done in PLM or other country done. Time to step up fellows and be part of a real change in attitudes.

4. Santiago 1314 replied, February 25, 2021 at 10:17 p.m.

@Uffe,,, BLM Inc. vs "Black Lives Matter" .... Do you Realize there is a Difference.??? .... And It's MAGA(Make America Great Again), Not "Mega" ... It's Not the Slogans that matter, it's the CONCEPTS they Embody.... Neither "Slogan" is In Itself Bad, they are both Good... It's the Extremist that  Twist them To Violence, and Nefarious acts, that Are the Issues.

5. Terry Lynch, February 25, 2021 at 7:34 a.m.

Lets not get carried away by this game, or the series.  ARG is a minnow right now.  They struggled against the other two teams.  Nevertheless, they got the wins . . .

VA has tough decisions to make.

6. John Polis replied, February 25, 2021 at 10:50 a.m.

Watching the US women's team beat up weak opponents isn't good entertainment, and I wonder how much it really does prepare the team for future top-flight competition. If you're going to have a tournament, bring in the top teams. Otherwise, these blowout games are a waste of time.

7. Ric Fonseca, February 25, 2021 at 2:57 p.m.

Hola y buenos dias "amigos..."  Heyas, and I thought that the comments were to congratulate Ms. Morgan Carrasco, and yet here we are using this platform to spouse a different topic!  from where I stand, all the very best to la Senora Morgan Carrasco y familia but I will close by saying that keeping the political themes out of this page is necessary, in as much as supporting whatever slogan against whatever movement is just as important.  Good golly gee and willikers, amigos, I've been there and done that going back to my high school days in Oakland, the military, and college days, onward, and as to John Polis' call that a stronger opponent should've been scheduled, I thought that we'd struggle against Brasil and Argentina, then again, kudos and BRAVISIMO to the USWNT!!!

8. Santiago 1314, February 25, 2021 at 4:49 p.m.

When I heard that the USwnt was Not Going to Kneel during USA National Anthem, I decided to "Tune Back IN"...  Only got to see from when it was 4-0... RUTHLESS.!!! ... I LOVED IT ... The Women Just kept POURING IT ON, Tackling HARD on Every Ball, until the Final Whistle Blew... USMNT.!?!?!? ... ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION.???? ... That's "American Exceptionalism" ... I don't care What they wear or say or Color their hair ... "JUST WIN BABY, WIN" ... and STAND AT ATTENTION FOR THE NATIONAL ANTHEM.!!!

9. Carlos Parada, February 25, 2021 at 10:09 p.m.

two guys named John. Take your crap to the rush memorial candle light vigil. It's your mentality that makes USWNT wear their support for diversity proudly across their warm-ups.
    MLS did the same thing in the Orlando bubble, apparently you missed it. The actual players, male and female, know how racism effects the game, their teammates and society better than either of you. So shut up or turn the channel and watch the Russian 1st division.

What on earth makes you think US Soccer gets money from the federal gov't anyway.
    Ignorance is bliss (not in this case)denial is not a river in Egypt.

10. Santiago 1314 replied, February 25, 2021 at 10:31 p.m.

@Carlos... "Rush Is Right" (was)