Tuesday, June 22
Croatia 3 Scotland 1. (Goals: Vlasic 17, Modric 62, Perisic 77; McGregor 42. Att.: 9,896)
Tuesday, June 22
Czech Republic 0 England 1 (Goal: Sterling 12. Att.: 19,104)
Group D wrapped up on Tuesday with England, Croatia and Czech Republic booking round of 16 spots; Scotland was sent packing.
2. England's two goals are the least ever scored by a European Championship group winner. In its last five games, England has mustered only four goals. It beat Austria and Romania, 1-0, in pre-Euro friendlies. Coach Gareth Southgate's team's 1-0 Euro wins over Croatia and the Czech Republic sandwiched a scoreless tie with Scotland.
2018 World Cup runner-up Croatia recovered from its poor start to advance with a runner-up Group D finish thanks to a convincing win over Scotland in which 35-year-old Luka Modric (the 2018 winner Ballon d’Or in 2018) scored one of the best goals of the tournament so far, a stylish curling strike with the outside of his foot. "The goal I scored means a lot to me, I am glad it helped us win but the most important thing is that the whole team looked the part," said Modric.
Round of 16 qualifiers
1. Italy (Group A winner)
2. Wales (Group A runner-up)
3. Switzerland (Group A 3rd)
4. Belgium (Group B winner)
5. Denmark (Group B runner-up)
6. Netherlands (Group C winner)
7. Austria (Group C runner-up)
8. Czech Republic (Group D, 3rd)
9. England (Group D, winner)
10. Sweden (Group E, 4 points)
11. France (Group F, 4 points)
12. Croatia Group D, runner-up)
In contention for four remaining spots:
Finland, Ukraine, Slovakia, Spain, Poland, Germany, Portugal, Hungary.
Turkey, Russia, North Macedonia, Scotland.
Wednesday, June 23
Noon Group E – Slovakia vs. Spain ESPN, PrendeTV
Noon Group E – Sweden vs. Poland ESPN2, PrendeTV
3 p.m. Group F – Portugal vs. France ESPN, Univision, TUDN
3 p.m. Group F – Germany vs. Hungary ESPN2, PrendeTV