USA-Paraguay Women's Friendly Player Ratings

USA-PARAGUAY EXPRESS:
Sept. 16 in Cleveland
USA 9 Paraguay 0. Goals: Lloyd 3, 6, 34, 38, 61, Sullivan 25, 49, Williams 30, Heath 86.
Att.: 14,117.
* * * * * * * * * *

The USA, in its first game since its bronze-medal finish in Japan, faced Paraguay, No. 50 in the FIFA World Rankings and yet to qualify for the World Cup or Olympics. Carli Lloyd had the Americans up by two goals within six minutes of kickoff and she scored three more en route to the 9-0 win. Two U.S. starters weren't on Olympic squad: Mallory Pugh, who provided three assists, and Andi Sullivan, who scored twice and assisted once.

USA Player Ratings
(1=low; 5=middle; 10=high.)

GOALKEEPER

So profound was the mismatch that the USA managed a shot once every three minute on average while Paraguay mustered one strike toward the U.S. goal. It was blocked by a defender, but Adrianna Franch got to touch the ball when a 60th-minute free kick from the wing flew straight into her arms.

Player (Club) caps/goals (age)

Adrianna Franch (Kansas City) 9/0 (30)

DEFENDERS

With Paraguay lacking an offense, the U.S. blackline could be judged only by attacking contributions. Tierna Davidson passed impressively out of the back at various ranges. Her crisp delivery to Mallory Pugh helped set up the second goal and she directly assisted Tobin Heath's goal with a perfectly timed and weighted cross-field pass. She also sparked the buildup on the sixth goal. Crystal Dunn supported the left-flank attacks by Pugh and Kristie Mewis and delivered a low ball from the wing to set up the second goal. Kelley O’Hara had one shot that also didn't threaten and hit an awful cross in the 73rd minute that went out for a goal kick on the far side, but she helped set up the fifth goal. Becky Sauerbrunn calmly patrolled the middle and even managed a couple shots, but, alas, she failed to score her first career goal. Her header went wide and her strike from the edge of the penalty area was blocked.

Player (Club) caps/goals (age)

Kelley O’Hara (Washington Spirit) 146/2 (33)

Becky Sauerbrunn (Portland Thorns) 194/0 (36)

Tierna Davidson (Chicago Red Stars) 40/1 (22)

Crystal Dunn (Portland Thorns) 123/24 (29)

MIDFIELDERS

Andi Sullivan made the most of her first start since January of 2020. She pounced alertly to poke the ball over the goal line as defenders hesitated -- following a Kristie Mewis corner kick relayed by Lynn Williams -- and headed home early in the second half. In between, Sullivan's 24-yard rocket came off the crossbar and would have created a goal had Williams not been caught offside on the rebound. Sullivan's inswinging cross landed nicely for Carli Lloyd to stroke home. Mewis sent the cross-field pass from which Williams set up the sixth goal. Rose Lavelle played a subdued role amid the slaughter but helped out on the buildup on the fifth goal.

Player (Club) caps/goals (age)

Rose Lavelle (OL Reign) 63/15 (26)

Andi Sullivan (Washington Spirit) 18/2 (25)

Kristie Mewis (Houston Dash) 29/4 (30)

FORWARDS

Carli Lloyd's seven shots produced one save and five goals, demonstrating remarkably efficient finishing in various ways regardless of the opponent's pedigree. Lynn Williams assisted twice and scored with a deflected shot. Mallory Pugh's excellent corner kick sparked the rout, her pass to Dunn helped set up the second goal, she evaded a defender before finding Williams on the fourth goal, and sent in the free kick that Sullivan headed home. Pugh also dribbled through from midfield with the dynamism that created much hype earlier in her career -- and one awaits hopefully that she can achieve that against stronger foes.

Player (Club) caps/goals (age)

Lynn Williams (North Carolina Courage) 41/13 (28)

Carli Lloyd (Gotham FC); 313/133 (39)

Mallory Pugh (Chicago Red Stars) 64/18 (23)

SUBSTITUTES

The second greatest scorer on the field wasn't able to seize the opportunities: Alex Morgan failed to beat the keeper with three close-range chances and squandered another by going offside. Catarina Macario assisted on Lloyd's final goal with a corner kick and provided service for one of Morgan's headers that was saved.  Tobin Heath wrapped up the scoring.

Player (Club) caps/goals (age)

Catarina Macario (Olympique Lyon, FRA) 9/1 (21)

Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride) 187/111 (32)

Sophia Smith (Portland Thorns) 7/0 (21)

Emily Sonnett (Washington Spirit) 59/0 (27)

Abby Dahlkemper (Houston Dash) 74/0 (28)

Tobin Heath (Arsenal, ENG) 178/36 (33)

TRIVIACarli Lloyd joined eight other players who scored five goals in one game: Brandi Chastain (1991), Michelle Akers (1991), Tiffany Milbrett (2002), Abby Wambach (2004), Amy Rodriguez (2012), Sydney Leroux (2012), Crystal Dunn (2016) and Alex Morgan (2019).

NOTABLE: Paraguay played one game previously in 2021, a 7-0 loss to Japan, and played no games in 2020.

Sept. 16 in Cleveland
USA 9 Paraguay 0. Goals: Goals: Lloyd 3, 6, 34, 38, 61, Sullivan 25, 49, Williams 30, Heath 86.
USA -- Franch; O'Hara, Sauerbrunn (Dahlkemper, 72), Davidson, Dunn (Sonnett, 63); Lavelle (Macario, 51), Sullivan, K.Mewis (Morgan, 59); Williams (Heath, 74), Lloyd, Pugh (Smith, 59).
Paraguay -- Recalde; M.Martinez (R.Martinez 69), Fretes, Bareiro, Riso; Alonso, Gauto; Sandoval, Godoy, Ojeda (Ayala, 63); Pico (Pena, 46).
Yellow cards: none. Red cards: none.
Referee: Karen Abt (USA)
Att.: 14,117.

Stats:
USA/PARAGUAY
Shots: 32/1
Shots on target: 18/0
Saves: 0/8
Corner Kicks: 15/0
Fouls: 6/7
Offside: 6/1
Possession: 76%/24%
22 comments about "USA-Paraguay Women's Friendly Player Ratings".
  1. R2 Dad, September 17, 2021 at 12:23 a.m.

Flat track bullies padding their numbers. *yawn*

2. Santiago 1314 replied, September 17, 2021 at 9:59 a.m.

Worst thing IS; We get to play them again on the 21st.!?!?!?... Lloyd last chance to get 6 in a Game... I'm pulling for her.!!!

3. Wayne Norris, September 17, 2021 at 12:53 a.m.

Ratings players in this game must be similar to Man City vs a college "club" team.

Not sure how you do it but this looks like as good an effort as possible

4. Bob Ashpole, September 17, 2021 at 2:01 a.m.

Pugh looks like a different player than the last time I saw her play for the WNT. She looked lean and mean tonight.

Tobin looks healthy again. Yeah!

I was glad to see the coach use Macario as an inside forward rather than a center forward.

5. E Velazquez, September 17, 2021 at 5:43 a.m.

question for Soccer america readers; has the time arrived to leave aside the old players and start with new ones ? . Is the coach appropiate for the USWNT ?  Must not forget the olympics were nearly a disaster and we need to rebuilt the team with new players, don't we ?

6. Santiago 1314 replied, September 17, 2021 at 9:50 a.m.

E V... Maybe you missed my Previous Posts... These Series of Games, Are Part of the CBA that the Players Union has with USSF... Only way any NEW Blood gets into these games is IF, one of the FULL Time Union Players Drops Out... Literally "MONEY BALL"... Cha-Ching.!!!
    We will probably have to wait until the New CBA is Finalized until we get New Players....

7. R2 Dad replied, September 17, 2021 at 9:27 p.m.

Santi, this isn't how the Nats are supposed to work! Competition in practice, dynamism in the attacking 3rd. If we have the best 2 starting XIs in women's soccer, show me! the grandmothers are supposed to retire, replaced by eager and younger players. Where are they?

8. frank schoon, September 17, 2021 at 9:19 a.m.

I watched , knowing this game was going to be a joke, and switched channels after the first goal which was about 3 min. into the game. I turned the channel to look for Dr.Pol but he wasn't on last night.
    I checked the score an hour later , 6-0. I watched the last 15min and it was pathetic.

Did you guys look at the stats to see how bad Paraguay is. What gets me is that our 'Turbo Bunnies' have NO SENSE OF PROPORTION. After each goal they 'high-five' and hug each other as if they accomplished something. As far as I'm concerned, this is like 'high-fiving' after beating someone who is in a wheelchair in a 50yard dash.

As a player seeing how bad an opponent is, I would have told the coach to take me out for I can't realistically raise my competitive juices to meet this challenge. I can't compete unless I have something that I can compete against and feel a sense of accomplishment after a game. I remember , we always had a pickup game in Reston every saturday morning for a couple of hours. I lived for that the whole week. The age difference between the players could be anywhere from 1-20 years of which I was near on the latter end. But the competition was great.

I"m all about business went it comes to playing soccer on the field and I want the best to face me. Once  in a while, not often, a women from a women's team showed up to play, although being respectful not wanting to make her feel uncomfortable,  my competitive juices as a result immediately went down about 50%. It was a let down, all of sudden.

Or once in a while, one of the guys brings his daughter who plays high school soccer to play pickup. Because I like to teach the youth, I switched my mental state of competitiveness to one of  teaching. I would make sure to play against her in order for her to learn. This way ,as the opponent, I would always talk to her when she has the ball coming at me ,telling her what to look for, her options, look at me how I'm moving, not to get nervous, give her some directions as she approaches me ;for obviously her teammates play like deafmutes and don't talk like so many players don't.

NEXT POST.

9. Bob Ashpole replied, September 17, 2021 at 11:02 a.m.

Lloyd celebrated her first goal, but then didn't celebrate the next four. Sullivan and Pugh were left out for a long time and had somethig to prove with their performances. Tobin's injuries could have been career ending so she had a lot to be happy about on her goal.

To me it was very sigificant that Lloyd had stopped goal celebrations 6 minutes into the match.

10. frank schoon replied, September 17, 2021 at 11:15 a.m.

Bob, You are using too much of your lawyer logic, here. Look at the total aspect (macro) not the single individual part (micro). Not only that they have done it so often when playing weaker teams like that....this is nothing new

11. R2 Dad replied, September 17, 2021 at 12:32 p.m.

Over at that other site, Julie Foudy said the win was so the players felt better about themselves, after the bad Olympics performances. Really?

12. frank schoon replied, September 17, 2021 at 1:27 p.m.

R2, ....is their past record so bad and coming in 3rd at the Olympics has caused them to have a self-esteem problem and it order to fix their self-esteem is to beat a team that doesn't even know the ball is round....

13. frank schoon, September 17, 2021 at 9:38 a.m.

As I watched, the last 15 minutes, our 'Turbo Bunnies' want nothing more than score goals. There was no discipline of play, it was like 'get the ball as fast as possible to the front line' and score. It reminded of typical U14 game where one teams realizes they are so much  better , smell the blood like sharks and just go to score, without really thinking about the concept of play they need to follow.

What gets me is that the fans for the women games are the LEAST SOPHISTICATED of all the soccer fans and don't forget the commentating which likewise is  a 'BARF'. The fans are whooping it up 90min. long. They are more concerned about wearing matching face-paint of their team colors , and  have no clue about the nuances of the 'actual' game. Women soccer can put a product on the field regardless of how bad it is and the fans going home are just happy that they won and their horns and 'tooters' did the job.

What gets me they want 'equality' with the men on payment or whatever. They may have a point if they had the 'like' competition of what the men face.........

The evolution of women soccer is still on such a low par as one looks at low level of competition that is exhibited in women soccer. Paraguay is a perfect case in point , they are not the exception, it is more of the rule.....from the South of our border to the most southern tip of South America the competition is garbage and not too mention the other side of the globe...

What gets me that this game has ratings of the players. I know some in the past had complaint earlier that there were a lack of ratings on the women's games....well have fun with these.......

14. Bob Ashpole replied, September 17, 2021 at 11:14 a.m.

I gave up commenting on men's ratings years ago. As for Lloyd, even though this was a horrible mismatch, Lloyd's quality showed in her timing, movements and touches.

Lloyd is no fluke shining only against minnows. She is a terror against the best teams in the world. A coach can sit her on the bench or switch her to the midfield, but it is impossible for Lloyd to turn off her competitive nature.

15. frank schoon replied, September 17, 2021 at 11:17 a.m.

The old adage, Bob...the weaker the opponent, the better one looks....Nothing new there....

16. Bob Ashpole replied, September 17, 2021 at 7:57 p.m.

The old adage is misplaced when used to describe Lloyd. She actually shines brightest against the best opponents. A classic clutch player.

I agree that under these circumstances Lloyd would be expected to dominate a match. And I agree that this match was not a valid basis to rate US players.

17. frank schoon replied, September 17, 2021 at 8:17 p.m.

Bob, has Lloyd ever scored 5 goals against the best opponents or was it only one time against a Sh*tty team like Paraguay.

18. Philip Carragher, September 17, 2021 at 11:52 a.m.

To me, the most disheartening US soccer fact comes from my recent survey of numerous people (in IL and ME) just prior to the USMNT's first game of three for WC qualification: no one, including two very talented ex-college players, knew that there was even a game. There is so little interest in our national teams in the very white suburban world I live in that, if we want there to be at least a respectable amount of interest, the quality or entertainment value of the play on the field needs vast improvement. Right now, Zzzzz.

19. Nick Gabris, September 17, 2021 at 1:53 p.m.

What a joke of a game! They should cancel the next one, to keep from such of an embarassment. One way to pad the numbers. What did the team accomplish with this game?

20. R2 Dad replied, September 17, 2021 at 9:29 p.m.

Nothing. It's for gate revenue and nothing more.

21. beautiful game, September 17, 2021 at 7:18 p.m.

How pitiful to get a high from shallacking Paraguay.

22. R2 Dad replied, September 17, 2021 at 9:30 p.m.

And yet here we are. Nats happy. NWSL happy. USSF happy. Supporters: pissed.