Megan Rapinoe 'totally overwhelmed' to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom

Next Thursday, the USA will face Jamaica in its second match at the Concacaf W Championship in Monterrey, Mexico. if all goes as planned, the USA will clinch a berth in the 2023 Women's World Cup with a win.

Megan Rapinoe, not expected to be a starter for the USA, won't be there to celebrate.

She will be at the White House to receive the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor “presented to individuals who have made exemplary contributions to the prosperity, values, or security of the United States, world peace, or other significant societal, public or private endeavors.”

Rapinoe, who turns 37 on Tuesday, will be the first soccer player and one of just six female athletes or coaches to be so honored along fellow 2022 recipient Simone Biles, the Olympic gold medal gymnast, tennis player and women’s rights pioneer Billie Jean King, 1932 Summer Olympics track and field gold medalist and professional golfer Babe Didrikson Zaharias, women’s basketball legend Pat Summitt and professional golfer Annika Sorenstam.

Presidential Medal of Freedom: 2022 recipients

Rapinoe, who famously feuded with former president Donald Trump, was invited by Biden to the White House for an event in 2021 proclaiming March 24 as National Equal Pay Day.

She said in a statement she "was, and still am, totally overwhelmed" when she received a phone call last week from President Joe Biden, who informed her of the award.

“I just see this as a validation of all the things that I have stood for," she said in a media call on Friday, "not a validation for me, but it’s a validation of LGBTQIA+ rights, it’s a validation of the Black Lives Matter movement and a movement against the white supremacist power structure that we had, it’s a validation of women’s rights and of equal pay and of abortion rights and of trans rights, and everything that myself and so many others work so hard for. It’s a validation of all of that."

14 comments about "Megan Rapinoe 'totally overwhelmed' to receive Presidential Medal of Freedom".
  1. Bob Ashpole, July 2, 2022 at 3:28 a.m.

I don't agree with some of Rapinoe's views, but she stands up for what she believes in, working within the system, and that I respect.

2. Randy Vogt, July 2, 2022 at 12:30 p.m.

I wish that she would not curse as people like me turn off when she or anybody else does. Say how you feel or what you believe the right way.

3. Alvaro Bettucchi, July 2, 2022 at 12:36 p.m.

I also do not agree on some items of Rapino's views, but we need more individuals like her, to stand up and be counted, and to turn around this division we have within our country! Women's and men's soccer, is the perfect sport to make important changes, throughout the world. All we need now is for the general media, in this country, to wake up and support this outstanding sport and participants like Rapino.

4. Ben Myers replied, July 2, 2022 at 1:50 p.m.

If only. The US Soccer Federation could learn from political organizations that place their hand-picked people in important jobs.  The USSF needs to get it in gear and work extra hard to place legitimate soccer journalists with more mainstream newspapers (The NYT does very well with Rory Smith, thank you!) and to get some soccer knowledgeable commentators to call matches.  What we have right now in the sports media is largely ineffective.

5. Peter Bechtold, July 2, 2022 at 1:42 p.m.

I don't know about this. As a player, MR is not within a country mile of the other M.of F. winners. Among soccer greats, she does not make the top three teams. Give me Michelle Akers, Mia Hamm, Julie Fowdie,etc. any time. Does Pres. Biden know that she is no longer a starter on a rather mediocre USWNT ? Or that she rarely shows up for her club team, OL Rein ?
    As a person she qualified by having an unusually dirty mouth, nothing that I want our children to hear. As a fighter for causes, which is her right, she really only cares for LGBTQ cases. She is a poster child alright, but unlikely to be recognized in any other country. Medal of Freedom ???

6. Marshall Mac Euen, July 2, 2022 at 4:18 p.m.

Your child's team is not important. .What a disgraceful comment.

7. Bob Ashpole replied, July 2, 2022 at 5:49 p.m.

I don't think you understand. The child is important, not the youth team.

8. Peter Bechtold replied, July 3, 2022 at 1:33 p.m.

I don't have or coach a children team. When I coached a teen age select team to the championship of the National Capital Soccer League in the 1980's not a single player cursed ever

9. Wooden Ships, July 2, 2022 at 5 p.m.

This entire moment in time, with its cancel culture, it's naive understanding of social fabric, harrolding lawlessness, Rapinoe is not a shocker for this coming from a totally bumbling administration. Presidential Medal of Freedom, my God how we've lowered the bar.

10. Wooden Ships replied, July 2, 2022 at 5:02 p.m.

SA are you going to delete-cancel my opinion? You've done this twice that I know of.

11. Bob Ashpole replied, July 2, 2022 at 6:27 p.m.

Rapinoe's soccer accomplishments are impressive, although I would think Akers, Hamm or Lloyd are more impressive. Lloyd is even current, having retired in 2021. All three retired still on top of their game. Akers and Hamm were both recognized as among the top living players in the world, the only women included on the list. I don't recall any other female athlete receiving recognition like that in any sport. The one thing the three have in common is that all are living quietly out of the public spotlight.

12. Wooden Ships replied, July 3, 2022 at 12:43 a.m.

I've had the pleasure of meeting Michelle and Mia. Whole different level of regal.

13. Santiago 1314 replied, July 3, 2022 at 7:40 a.m.

Wooden, I knew one of them very well and the other in "Passing"... Truly "Selfless" People...
    While I Don't Agree with MR getting an "OFF the Field Medal"....ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES...Current "Winner" of a Medal would Certainly Qualify under this Administration, Just as Current SCOTUS is Legitimate... "To The Winner, Go The Spoils"

Found this Part of her Quote Bemusing;
    "It's a validation of the Black Lives Matter movement and a movement against the white supremacist power structure that we had,"...
    Two things; has MR looked at her Skin Color in the Mirror.???
    She uses the Word; "HAD"... Glad to hear that "ALL THIS IS BEHIND US"...
    Now, CAN WE GET ON WITH LOVING THE USA AND...
    "SHUT UP AND DRIBBLE".!!!

14. Santiago 1314 replied, July 3, 2022 at 7:42 a.m.

I hope she Shows up for the Presentation with her Hair Dyed;