Josh Sargent gets first goal in Norwich City's first win of season

It was a struggle for Josh Sargent and Norwich City last season, his first with the Canaries.

And it was a struggle in the first three weeks for Sargent and Norwich City following their relegation from the Premier League to the Championship League.

Sargent, 22, finished with only two goals in 26 Premier League games last season at Norwich following his transfer from Werder Bremen, where he played 72 games (13 goals) over parts of four seasons.

He scored his first goal in four league appearances this on Tuesday with a powerful header to open the scoring in a 2-1 win at home against Huddersfield Town, the Canaries' first victory in four games. The goal followed his return to center forward.

Sargent later drew a red card -- Huddersfield Town's Tom Lees was sent off for pulling him down on a breakaway early in the second half -- but Norwich had to hold on for a 2-1 win after Patrick Jones reduced its lead in the 81st minute.

“In the last games," Sargent told the Norwich City Web site, "we were able to keep the ball and create good chances, but we weren’t able to provide that finishing touch. Obviously, today we were, so I’m very excited and it was great to get the first one."

USMNT Picture. Sargent started both games for the USA at the 2021 Concacaf Nations League finals and was the No. 1 striker at the beginning of World Cup 2022 qualifying, but he did not score in three appearances in the September 2021 window and was not recalled following the emergence of first Ricardo Pepi and then Jesus Ferreira.

Sargent is one of four European-based strikers hoping to get hot and earn a spot on the U.S. World Cup roster. Jordan Pefok and Haji Wright have each scored once in the past two weeks while Pepi has seen scant minutes off the bench at Augsburg.

Ferreira is the only forward considered a virtual lock to travel to Qatar.

Photo: PA Wire via ZUMA Press/ISI Photos

10 comments about "Josh Sargent gets first goal in Norwich City's first win of season".
  1. frank schoon, August 17, 2022 at 12:31 p.m.

I want to see this kid given another chance...Pepi is a flop. There is no reason not to look at Sargent to see what he has gained in experience and how he can help us

2. Paul Krieg replied, August 17, 2022 at 12:51 p.m.

I would like to see Sargent earn another chance. He's regressed since moving to England.  He's still young enough he can deliver on his early potential but it seems to me he's got to consistently train and deliver.

I think your dismissal of Pepi is harsh.  He's three years younger than Sargent with a dry spell about half as long. And the press hasn't suggested lack of focus or commitment, like Sargent was subject of last year.  Hopefully, he will get acclimated and back into form.  I was anxious that joining a near-relegation club was a career risk and it's not worked out well.  Hopefully he can regain a spot and help his club and himself. But laying it all on him seems overly harsh to me

3. frank schoon replied, August 17, 2022 at 1:20 p.m.

Paul, soccer is a tough business. You either got it or you don't, you have to perform, or you got to fight to get where you want. Pepi, 20mill.????, what's this kid got that's worth 20mil. He scores two silly goals and immediately he was seen as America's savior...I can't believe how naive we look at players.I can't find anything about him that I'm impressed with....Now he's in Germany warming the bench....

I look at Sargent ,who has been working his butt off ,learning, not necessarily in the best environment...I want to know what Pulisic really has learned, but I'm willing to say Sargent has probably learned more, relatively speaking ,than Pulisic....

4. Wooden Ships replied, August 17, 2022 at 3 p.m.

Norwich has had it wrong with Pukki at the 9. Sargent is the prototype center forward. He's got loads of goals in him, always has. He's not a winger. His early qualifying matches were with a U.S. B team. A young Lewandoski style player. I hope Norwich leaves him at the 9 and someone can inform Berhalter what a center forward in a 4-3-3 looks likes.

5. John Sabala replied, August 17, 2022 at 4 p.m.

Paul,
    Sargent did not regress from Bremen, he had the same problem at Norwich as at Bremen and on the USMNT. No damn service. I don't care if he was Lewandowski. If he is on those teams he will get no service and not score.  Sargent has not got to play with all the European players on the roster now that Pepi and Feirrera have gotten. These guys have flat out missed chances from great service.

Wooden,
    I like your point, but Sargent did not moan or complain. Just worked his tail off to get on the pitch and contribute.

Franc, you are so right. It is about what have your done for me lately kind of business.  Pepi is too one dimensional and left too early, or as you stated does not have enought talent to play in these bigger leagues. Pefolk is successful as he is stronger and has a much bigger presence in the box. He will be fine with his move and I think is our #3, but you have no ability to press with him. I think he could work in a 4-2-3-1, but his lay of and passing ability is not where it needs to be for Qatar this go around.

6. Grant Goodwin, August 17, 2022 at 12:43 p.m.

i could not agree more, Frank.  Maybe going into the Championship with only help him.

7. Philip Carragher replied, August 17, 2022 at 1:52 p.m.

Absolutely, give Sargent another chance.

8. Philip Carragher, August 17, 2022 at 1:51 p.m.

Norway: Haaland   Population 5.4 million
    U.S.:        ?                           335.1 million

9. John Sabala, August 17, 2022 at 3:52 p.m.

It is absolutely ludicrous that GB wrote off JS. So young and as you stated Franc, he has only worked harder and learned more playing in the starting XI with Norwich on the wing. So he has only added to his value of having on the USMNT to play more than one position in the front three. He can score with both feet, moves well off the ball, gets behind lines, has pretty good hold up play and knows how to press. What the hell does GB need to see in a player.  Sargent has the knack of being in the right place and knowing how to move.  I watched him play in the U level and you can see the loads of talent and the high ceiling limit.  I beleive he is our best #9 on our roster.  Having watched Wright a bit more, I think he is the #2.  It is this idea of sticking with MLS players regardless. You look at what Tillman is doing already in the Scottish league from the Bayern program despite not playing much, he is just head and shoulders above the other players on that sqaud and has made an immediate impact. He may be Reyna's replacement as he will be far more durable.

10. Kent James, August 17, 2022 at 11:30 p.m.

I have liked Sargent from when I first saw him.  Great touch, good soccer intelligence (good runs, movement off the ball), creative, with a good knack for goal.  Even when he doesn't score, he's impressed me. I'm glad to see him back at CF, since I think that's his natural position.  Playing in an offensive position on a weak team in the EPL is always an uphill battle.  His movement to the wing shows his adaptability, but didn't help his need to score goals.  I hope this year will be different.

I don't think GB wrote him off as much as there have been a lot of guys vying for that position,most of them young with a lot of potential, but none who has consistently delivered at the USMNT level.  And while those guys were getting their shots, unfortunately Sargent wasn't scoring a lot of goals, so I understand why GB didn't bring him in.  I do hope he gets a chance to play in September, and I hope he can prove worthy of inclusion on the team going to Qatar.