COLLEGE: Seeds Virginia and VCU fall on penalties in NCAA tournament

Two seeded teams fell in the second round of the NCAA Division I Men's Tournament Wednesday.

No. 6 seed Virginia fell to William & Mary, 3-2, on penalty kicks after their game ended in a 1-1 tie.

Alecko Eskandarian scored a Cavalier-record 25th goal in the first half, but Graham Albert, son of Tribe coach Al Albert, tied the score in the 82nd minute. The Cavs played the last 60 minutes with 10 men after Hunter Freeman was red carded.

Furman set an NCAA record with its 11th straight shutout. Paladins goalie Alex Maslow made 10 saves to hold off a onslaught by No. 8 seed VCU and send the game to a shootout after their game ended in a 0-0 tie. Maslow stopped two penalties in Furman's 4-2 win in the tiebreaker.

Virginia and VCU were the only home teams to lose in their opening game of tournament play.

Maryland, No. 1 in the final Soccer America Top 25, and Wake Forest, the top seed in the NCAA Division I field, advanced to the round of 16 with 1-0 wins.

A crowd of 2,103 fans braved the cold at Maryland's Ludwig Field to watch the Terps beat American, 1-0, on Domenic Mediate's goal in the 53rd minute.

Jeremiah White's 11th goal of the season in the 88th minute gave Wake a hard-fought win over Old Dominion.

A third ACC team, Clemson, advanced to the third round with a 5-4 win on penalties after the Tigers' game with Coastal Carolina ended in a 1-1 tie.

The other remaining ACC team, defending national champion North Carolina, lost to Penn State, 1-0, on Chad Seavers' golden goal with two minutes left in overtime.

Two other games were marathon affairs.

Freshman midfielder Jeff Carroll scored with 1:13 left in the second overtime to lift fourth-seeded St. John's past Fairleigh Dickinson, 2-1. FDU had won its previous three games by shootout.

Stanford eliminated Portland, 10-9, on penalty kicks after their game ended in a 0-0 tie.

Bad weather throughout much of the country played havoc with the second-round slate.

The Connecticut-Penn game was delayed for two and a half hours to give ground crews time to clear snow at Morrone Stadium. The Huskies had no problems with the conditions, burying Penn, 4-0.

Snowy conditions forced Boston College to move its game at the Newton Campus Soccer Field to Northeastern's Parsons Field, but the Eagles prevailed, 2-1, to win their first NCAA Tournament game in five tries.

Creighton had to move its game against Wisconsin-Milwaukee from Omaha to Nebraska Wesleyan's field in Lincoln. The Bluejays ended UWM's 19-game winning streak with a 3-2 win thanks to three goals off David Wagenfuhr corner kicks.

Indiana kept alive its big for a sixth straight appearance in the final four with a 1-0 win over Notre Dame on Brian Plotkin's second-half goal.

Midwest powers SMU and Saint Louis also advanced with wins over FIU (3-1) and New Mexico (1-0), respectively.

On the West Coast, former U.S. U-17 international Adolfo Gregorio had two goals to lead UCLA to a 4-2 win over Loyola Marymount.

Cal made it 3-for-3 for Pac-10 teams, joining UCLA and Stanford in the final 16. The Bears beat UC Santa Barbara, 2-1, for their first tournament win after eight losses in the first round.

Next story loading loading..

Discover Our Publications