7. Spain Real Madrid (4), Barcelona (3)
4. Brazil Corinthians (2), Sao Paulo, Internacional.
3. England Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea
2. Germany Bayern Munich (2)
2. Italy AC Milan, Inter Milan
Best Concacaf finish: Tigres UANL (Mexico) 2020 runner-up.
NOTE: The Seattle Sounders will make the USA's Club World Cup debut on Saturday.
On Saturday, the Sounders take win the winner of Wednesday tournament opener between Al Ahly and Auckland City. Read the whole story
• Saturday's USA-Colombia match — the first USMNT game on Telemundo and TNT under U.S. Soccer's new media rights deal — averaged 540,000 and 416,000 viewers, respectively. The USA-Serbia friendly on Universo averaged 76,000. (Nielsen does not provide ratings of HBO Max.) Last weekend's most-watched games were a pair of Liga MX games Saturday night on Univision: America-Mazatlan (909,000 viewers) and Tigres-San Luis (834,000). Source: Skedball.
The 21-year-old Californian with eight U.S. caps started his career in Germany, before moving to Spain, England, and now Scotland. Read the whole story
• The Colorado Rapids acquired left back Alex Gersbach (Australia, 6 caps, age 25) from French Ligue 2's Grenoble Foot 38. ... The San Jose Earthquakes welcome midfielder Carlos Gruezo (Ecuador, 47 caps, age 27) on a Designated Player contract from Germany's FC Augsburg. Gruezo played for FC Dallas in 2016-19. ... Orlando City signed midfielder Dagur Dan Thórhallsson (Iceland, 4 caps, age 22) from Breidablik. ... Inter Miami acquired defender Sergii Kryvtsov (Ukraine, 30 caps, age 31) from Shakhtar Donetsk. ... 2022 champion LAFC sold sent Colombian striker Cristian Arango (32 goals in two MLS seasons), to Mexico's Pachuca of Mexico’s Liga MX. ... The transfer of the LA Galaxy's 21-year-old defender Julian Araujo to Barcelona for an estimated $4 million fee reportedly failed because paperwork arrived to the Spanish federation after the midnight deadline. The move could still go through if FIFA approves petitions from both clubs.
The Argentine World Cup winner is just one of Christian Pulisic's new high-priced teammates at 10th place Chelsea. Read the whole story
• NISA will operate with with nine teams in a single-standings format. It began the 2022 with 10 teams divided into two regional divisions in 2022 but two teams (Bay Cities FC and Valley United FC) dropped out before the end of the season, one won't return in 2023 (California United Strikers FC) and two others have merged (from Flower City Union and Salt City Union clubs to City Union playing in both markets). Back in 2023: Albion San Diego, Chattanooga FC, Los Angeles Force, Maryland Bobcats FC and defending champion Michigan Stars FC. New in 2023: Club de Lyon FC (Orlando), Savannah Clovers FC, and Gold Star FC Detroit.
The French Ligue 1 leader has won just one of four league games this month and is just three points ahead of second-place Lens. Read the whole story
With a big lead atop the standings, Napoli looks well on its way to winning its first Serie A title since the playing days … Read the whole story
1. Gio Reyna: Dortmund's wild-card moving on from World Cup row By Matt Pearson & Matt Ford Mainz (Deutsche Welle)
2. Saudi Arabia to sponsor Women’s World Cup and tighten ties with FIFA By Paul MacInnes (The Guardian)
3. From college to the Premier League: Leicester sign forward Nathan Opoku out of Syracuse By Jeff Carlisle (ESPN)