Tuesday, May 23
Inter Miami vs. Nashville SC 7:30 pm.
NY Red Bulls vs. FC Cincinnati 7:30 pm.
Houston Dynamo vs. Minnesota United 8:30 pm.
• Winner went to final after two previous meetings in round of 16.
LAFC vs. LA Galaxy 10:30 pm.
• Galaxy won 3-1 in 2022 round of 16.
Wednesday, May 24
Pittsburgh Riverhounds vs. Columbus Crew 7 pm.
• Crew used to loan players (notably Zack Steffen) to 'Hounds.
Birmingham Legion vs. Charlotte FC 8 pm.
Austin FC vs. Chicago Fire 9 pm.
• Austin coach Josh Wolff won two Open Cups with Fire.
Colorado Rapids vs. Real Salt Lake 10 pm.
• Rapids won 2006 and 2007 Open Cup contests, both at RSL.
Note: All times ET. Viewing: Soccer on TV.
The conference leaders are joined by Nashville SC, Philadelphia and FC Dallas in the top five. Read the whole story
"He became a father abroad, not in his own country. Maybe his wife was alone in the hospital. There are a lot of things. Because it is obvious that Haji is both a football player and a human being and what he has done for us. He could have easily gone to other teams at the beginning of the season, but he preferred us. Loyalty is very important, humanity is very important.”
-- Antalyaspor coach Nuri Sahin, responding to fans who booed Haji Wright as the American star exited in the 81st minute of the 0-0 draw with Istanbul Basaksehir, Antalyaspor's final home game of the 2022-23 Turkish Super Lig. Wright, who recently became a father for the first time, has scored 29 goals in 58 league games in two seasons and is expected to be transferred if a club will meet Antalyaspor's asking price of 10 million euros. (Fanatik in Turkish)
Elise Evans and Shae Harvey provide the insight from the USA's journey to U-20 Women's World Cup qualifying. Read the whole story
Group A Argentina 2-1 Uzbekistan // New
Zealand 1-0 Guatemala
Group B USA 1-0 Ecuador // Slovakia 4-0 Fiji
Group C Colombia 2-1 Israel // Japan 1-0 Senegal
Group D Italy 3-2 Brazil // Nigeria 2-1 Dominican Republic
• Inter Miami's Edison Azcona scored the DR goal.
Group E England 1-0 Tunisia // Uruguay 4-0 Iraq
Group F South Korea 2-1 France // Gambia 2-1 Honduras
The branding for the World Cup hosted by the USA, Canada and Mexico was unveiled last week in Los Angeles. Read the whole story
• Taha Habroune became the latest member of the U.S. U-17s who finished second at the 2023 Concacaf championship to turn pro when he signed with reigning MLS Next Pro champion Columbus Crew 2. The dual national (Morocco) joined the Crew academy in 2017 at the U-12 level. Since the USA qualified for the 2023 U-17 World Cup, captain Tyler Hall (Inter Miami CF II), Micah Burton (Austin FC II) and Edwyn Mendoza (Earthquakes II) have also signed MLS Next Pro contracts. In 2024, Mendoza will join MLS's Earthquakes, where he will play with U-17 teammates Cruz Medina and Oscar Verhoeven (another recent pro signing). Medina turned pro in 2022 along with fellow U-17s Brian Romero (Charlotte FC) and Christopher Aquino and Stuart Hawkins (both Tacoma Defiance).
The club, whose last major domestic prize was the 1955 FA Cup, last qualified for UEFA's top competition two decades ago. Read the whole story
Hooliganism is a major problem in Colombia: there have been 350 soccer-related deaths. Read the whole story
1. Why MLS needs transparency to grow; Toronto FC problems; a St. Louis City special By Paul Tenorio
2. New ruling: Juventus out of Champions League spots after 10-point deduction (AP)
3. Juan Carlos Rodriguez elected Mexico federation president By Cesar Hernandez (ESPN)
Fixed link: Honduran immigrant makes South Carolina prep history while adjusting to a new home By Carlos Cristian Flores (wyff4.com)